Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile Orders/Zone "Take From" Orders  (Read 624 times)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpile Orders/Zone "Take From" Orders
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:27:14 pm »

I have two big stockpiles in my fort that I use for managing incoming goods.  One is a giant pile that accepts all the metal objects I melt, with no bins allowed, so I can d-b-m and highlight them all periodically.  Another is for all the junk clothes, leather and plant fiber stuff from invaders, along with all their trinkets.  It's set up similarly, with no bins, so I can d-b-d and have it all dropped into the atom smasher periodically.

What I'd really like to see is a way to automate that process.  In the case of the metal, I want an option that will automatically designate any item dropped into it for melting.  For the junk pile, I'd like to do one of two things:  Either allow my atom-smasher dump zone to "take from" that stockpile, or just arrange for a zone to accept certain types of goods, like a stockpile does, so that I can pick a spot on the map (preferably the lip of a bottomless pit) and issue a standing order that all narrow wolf leather boots go in there.
I brake for stumble bumblings

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile Orders/Zone "Take From" Orders
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:45:52 am »

the second one could also be solved by allowing stockpiles to be placed on bridges and hatches, among other things.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:18:22 am »

the second one could also be solved by allowing stockpiles to be placed on bridges and hatches, among other things.
That would also be a great to replace the current stonefall traps (as soon as ordinarily falling objects do damage, of course).
For garbage, let's not forget that we could simply designate a stockpile over an empty square (below which may be a chasm, lava tube or whatever). Or you could just dig a hole without stairs outside and let dwarves drop wood from the outside in it, so they don't need to carry it all the way down the stairs.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:47:32 pm »

stockpile over open space would be awesome, but the quantum stockpile bug would need to be fixed somehow. . . .
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz