Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Next Elder Scrolls  (Read 8361 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Next Elder Scrolls
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 11:49:50 am »

I'd rather wait and see what they will come up with. But considering what they did to Oblivion and Fallout 3... I'm not very hopeful either.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 12:16:19 pm »

Bethesda's games are playable for me only after two dozens of hours of adjusting mods... MMO is not moddable, thus  I think their main "feature" would be missing and the game won't be great for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 02:36:24 pm »

Gee, sure is Bethesda/Big Corporate Hate in here. I honestly don't see what the problem is. Either it'll be moderately successful or it'll flop.

Oh, and yes, I think Oblivion was actually fun. Same with Fallout 3. Now, I'm not going to say that they're objectively good, because they are quite flawed in certain respects. but I had lots of entertainment with them. I mean, I load up Fallout, shoot a guy in the back of the face, watch his head fly fifty feet away into a bathtub and I'm content. Oblivion, I just go and sneak through the places before applying a liberal application of facestab. They're both quite entertaining.

And yes, I've played every mainline Elder Scrolls game, and Fallouts 1 and 2, and I had fun with them. The new games are different, but that doesn't mean they're worse off for it.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »

Am I the only person who thinks that bethesda has a good chance of making a decent MMO?

Bethesda games tend to have alot of common flaws (especially lately) but one thing they all seem to do well, is have an interesting world to explore. Too many modern MMOs focus on subjecting the players to a narrative, and limiting exploration (the KOTOR mmo is going this way) instead of creating a virtual world and just giving players a variety of things to do.

Of all the traditional single-player game devs to make an MMO, i think bethesda is one of the few who could make an awesome one. Skill based progression, open world exploration, droppable items (ive missed this in mmos for a loooong time), player/guild housing etc.

Essentially, morrowind (or oblivion, or fallout 3) but with more players... I know i'd play it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 03:16:45 pm »

Hm, well. It's sort of a love and hate for me. I'd certainly give it a try, but I don't know. I've found Oblivion to be fun to a certain extend and fallout 3 as well, but I couldn't help but feel they simplified things when they were fine being complex.

I'm not sure how they would fare with a mmo, but It's something, like I said, that you have to wait and see.

I think it would be more interesting if it had a co-op mode instead. Hopefully not limited to 4 players, which is the current trend.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 08:57:06 pm »

It'd be cool if they limited the amount of people on one server, say a hundred or two, So each town would only have a certain number of adventurers, and people could make a name for themselves.

It'd be even cooler if you could use those portal thingies, or some sort of magic to transport people to other realities or dimensions or whatever... visiting another server.

'Course I doubt they'll do anything as interesting as that.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 09:02:48 pm »

The other lovely feature of an MMO is that you get to experience the compelling quest, the dramatic arc of heroism, led ever onward with calls to arms like:

C0ckMong3r: Need heal 4 ZRAK MUST HAVE TIER 935 GEAR NO FAGZ LOL
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »

sproingie, there are also tales of drama, intrigue, and terror like:

FreedomFighta1404: The clan is not raiding enough, I SHOULD BE KING!

Oh, and by the way, I always saw Fallout 3 as a sequel to TES4: Oblivion. After the death of the legitimate Emperor, the Imperial race split into two, an imperial state known as China (that claims the title of Emperor) and a somewhat democratic republic known as the United States (that has abolished the position of Emperor). After nuking each other in a great war, the Imperial race must slowly rebuild from this tragic event, in the hopes of one day, some Savior will come and rebuild the Empire.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 01:36:05 am »

I can very well imagine a good MMORPG based on TES and that remains close to the usual gameplay in TES games, I can even imagine Bethesda doing it... well screwing it first, but eventually patch up to something decent. However, I am afraid they would try to appeal to the mass of "i am 1337 and i pwz u" pvpers, powergamers and nolifers and turn a serie which focused more on freeform exploration and combat into a standard level/skill grinding followed by years of 1337 gear grinding. Sadly, I'm not sure anything but the latter could be profitable on the current MMORPG market.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 04:44:53 am »

If they do pull it off it would be cool to rp in it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 05:39:23 am »

I wonder how they'll ruin the other provinces, or was Cyrodiil enough?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 05:48:50 am »

I wonder how they'll ruin the other provinces, or was Cyrodiil enough?

Honestly, if the worse they do is ruin the lore, I can live with that.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 02:32:27 am »

Turns out it's Skyrim. I was right. It's gonna SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ahem, I misspoke. It's going to be BBBBBB

Actually, it's going to be HHHHHHHHHHHHH
ORIBLE.

But we already knew that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 02:51:33 am »

Kotaku

EDIT: This game better have dragons. There's a dragon right there in the trailer. >=(

If they do it like the one from ES4 it doesn't count. Oh yeah, spoiler alert, maybe.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:02:51 am by OzyTheSage »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 03:12:30 am »

Am I the only person who thinks that bethesda has a good chance of making a decent MMO?

They make decent games even if they borrow HEAVILY, and by heavily I mean boarderline rip off, from other games (and yes I am especially refering to their earlier games). Frankly I don't think they are the ones to make a MMO, their recent works just sort of shows how hard a time they are having simply avoiding outright blandness.

I think your sort of imagining "Ohh yeah a MMO like Oblivion or Fallout 3" and indeed that would seem interesting... but they could never pull it off. MMOs require varried environments, extreme instancing, and a specific flavor of bland that Modern Bethesda just doesn't produce.

As for this topic?

They revealed absolutely nothing... I don't even know why people bothered putting up a thread.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:14:10 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6