Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More challenge / action  (Read 1757 times)

copx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More challenge / action
« on: May 15, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

I just post here to make sure that Toady will read it. Here is my impression as a first time player:
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004238

I say your game is great and I am mighty impressed, but it is not challenging enough right now and lacks action IMO.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More challenge / action
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Embark to a haunted or terrifying location. Toady's made certain that most of the basic wildlife isn't actively hostile, so you won't get combat unless you choose to go somewhere evil.

You also to a certain extent choose how much action you get by how you set up your defenses. It's fairly straightforward, currently, to make an impregnable fortress, so the trick in many cases is to make a fort that isn't impregnable while still being able to hold off the invaders. Getting rid of traps and bridges is a good first step for that.

I do think that the game takes a long time to start throwing dangerously hostile creatures at you, but on the flip side, that gives the people who aren't interested in combat a chance to build forts that don't have to worry about that kind of thing.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>You also to a certain extent choose how much action you get by how you set up your defenses. It's fairly straightforward, currently, to make an impregnable fortress, so the trick in many cases is to make a fort that isn't impregnable while still being able to hold off the invaders. Getting rid of traps and bridges is a good first step for that.
</STRONG>

This needs to be fixed.  We shouldn't have to deliberately adopt bad strategy in order to create a challenge.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 07:26:00 pm »

Okay guys, we get that you're all fortress building supermen, but you should take into account that the game is in early alpha and that the majority of the game's features aren't even in yet.   Maybe when there's more stuff to balance it'll get balanced, but for now actually laying the concrete is more important than smoothing it.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by irmo:
<STRONG>This needs to be fixed.  We shouldn't have to deliberately adopt bad strategy in order to create a challenge.</STRONG>
This needs to not change. We should be able to choose how hard we want the game to be.

I would get absolutely no enjoyment out of, say, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night if I played it to my full potential. The game is beautiful, deep, and incredibly easy. I can get plenty of enjoyment out of the game by forbidding the more powerful gear and spells, though, which forces me to rely more on my native skill than on powerful items, and thereby makes me develop new tactics to deal with my foes. However, if I'd not had those items the first time through, the game would have been harder and less fun.

Similarly, the Mega Man games don't do much for me once I've beaten them a few times unless I deliberately avoid using the weapons that enemies are weak to - being unable to deal massive damage and stun my opponents makes the game harder. But those weapons added a lot to the games on earlier playthroughs, and had I not had access to them, the games would have been punishingly hard.

Or playing Zelda without ever picking up heart containers. Or playing the Metroid series while deliberately trying to pick up as few powerups as possible. Hell, playing a Tourist in NetHack or a troll mage in Angband.

It's very important for players to be able to organically choose how hard they want the game to be - not just by setting toggles in the game's configuration, but also by choosing what aspects of the game they will take advantage of, what challenges they will willingly accept. I daresay that all singleplayer games should be very easy if you do everything in your power to win, and very hard if you eschew all the advantages available to you.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

Ha.

Just wait 'til the enemies can tunnel and build ladders.

It'll be a while, but you'll rue the day you ever asked for this.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Ha.

Just wait 'til the enemies can tunnel and build ladders.

It'll be a while, but you'll rue the day you ever asked for this.</STRONG>

Nonsense.  I love a challenge.  Isn't losing fun afterall?  I wish I could lose by just trying my very best to survive.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

I'm sure the game will get more fun as features are added.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax:
<STRONG>I'm sure the game will get more fun as features are added.</STRONG>

Any suggestions to features that could be added that would make the game more fun and challenging?  I understand you put some effort to replying but that statement is just to vague to really help anyone.

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: Ghostpaw ]

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

I'm sort of curious, what exactly does the 'lose' screen look like? I always abandon my fortress right before losing, then go 'damnit, I just remembered I wanted to go see the 'you lost' screen'.

Anyways, I love DF since everything else is so easy, I can concentrate on making what I want to make. Make a bunch of plump helmet fields, and cook dwarven wine roasts all day and night gives me more spare time to say, design that herb-garden-lit-by-skylight-that-doubles-as-statue-garden-and-execution-chamber. It's sort of like art. Doing art is easy - you draw lines, you make coherent figures. However, making art is the hard part, the part that everyone looks for. You take that inspiration, and you turn it into reality in DF. If that dream may be surviving relentless herds of zombie elephants? Then so be it. If that dream is creating a floating fortress 3 or 4 z-levels above the ground? So be it. You can't say that you lack a challenge, because DF isn't about overcoming challenges, whether set by yourself or by the environment. It's about turning your confounded dreams into reality.

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

IIRC it's just a message saying "Your settlement has crumbled to its end."

I will reiterate here my consternation that voluntary challenges aren't worth doing unless Toady makes everyone else do them too.  If you guys would like, I can see if I can make a version of DF where you can't even build farms, traps or crossbows.  And maybe ramp up goblin sieges.  Would you be satisfied with that?

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ghostpaw:
<STRONG>Any suggestions to features that could be added that would make the game more fun and challenging?</STRONG>
I'm really not concerned that Toady One will be unable to think of many ways to make us lose.  Seriously, this is not an area in which I think he needs any help and when the game has more features, balance will come quite naturally.  I also firmly believe that attempts to change the balance of the game should be as natural as possible.  The game is out to kill all your dwarves, but it shouldn't have to resort to cheating.

If you want to make your game more fun and challenging, I would suggest you listen to the suggestions of others, which you have heretofore summarily dismissed.

If you have a specific suggestion for the game, this forum is equipped with an "Add New Topic" button that I believe will be adequate for your needs.

If you want to post new ideas to a thread that does not indicate there will be any new ideas involved, feel free to feel frustrated when the right people fail to notice.  "Right people" meaning "the right person" or "Toady."

I know the OP put a lot of time and effort into saying "more hard!" (Note: there is a real thread with a title similar to this that you could have resurrected.  This is more or less the preferred course of action), but I opine that this is really too vague to help anyone.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

ArdentPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:16:00 am »

Hmm. I like this thread a lot better in the suggestions forum.

copx, I believe you mentioned at one point that you could only get up to about 50 dwarfs before you got bored with the pace of the game. While I realize this doesn't really respond to your suggestion, I do encourage you to get a little bit further - the fun for me really starts kicking in around 80-100 dwarfs.

Of course, that leaves your (legitimate) complaint that the game isn't very exciting before this point (and I guess you might also disagree with my assessment that it picks up a little after). While your description does seem a bit at odds with my experience - personally, I get regular ambushes of goblin archer squads when caravans arrive which are difficult to deal with - I do agree in principle. There are ways in which the game could be made more interesting and dynamic, in the sense of giving more of a challenge.

For example, giving goblins the ability to tunnel, while probably complicated from a coding / AI standpoint, would make seiges MUCH more interesting. It would give an incentive to set your fortress deeper into the mountain. You would have to think about the physical location of different things - keeping rooms in safer spots, for example. And imagine goblins tunneling while your own miners simultaneously try to cut off their tunnel to let your military flank them? Or dig out a big hole under them and collapse their tunnel into a chasm? (This would work better if goblins mined slowly). Furthermore, imagine that goblin tunnels are not visible until you stumble upon them, like the ambush groups themselves.

The principle argument I'm hearing from those who disagree is also legitimate: while the player can find ways to make the game harder or more challenging, such as choosing to not farm in the winter, or starting a fortress above the treeline in a mountainous area with no soil (not to mention zombies and undead), a player could not choose to make life easier for themselves if the structure of the game is made more difficult. Embarkation, as many see it, is analagous to picking "easy, medium, hard" from a difficulty menu. If goblins are made super-difficult, or farming is nerfed greatly (say, soil being overused leading to failed crops), players cannot choose to make the difficulty easier for themselves if they are finding the game frustratingly difficult. Short of modding, of course, which is another story I'm not going to go into.

However I think there is some sort of happy medium here. For example - one of the biggest challenges at the moment is when the economy kicks in with the arrival of the baron and tax collector. Suddenly, many dwarfs cannot afford to house or clothe themselves, because they do nothing (animal caretakers or cheesemakers bumming around) and thus make no money. Dwarfs get evicted all over the place and the player is usually faced with a huge housing crisis (at least I always am). This can have two effects.

One, if it's your kind of challenge, is to try and rework all of the job permissions to set up a fort where dwarfs are working more towards what is required, and getting things done. Also one might try to redesign housing. This can be very nitpicky, but has the added bonus of (often) causing fortress wealth growth, attracking more dwarfs and goblins and futher adding to the challenge.

Two, if the idea of messing around with all the job permissions makes you die a bit inside, is to go to the init file (as the init file is standing in for a "gameplay options" screen in-game, this isn't modding) and turn off room rent on the relevent line, setting the rent for all rooms to 1. I do this sometimes, say if my housing cuts through a magnetite layer and the room rent is astronomical. It's less of a challenge to build all new housing in rock areas while also redesigning the economy and production of the fortress, and more of a hassle.

To come full circle with this rambling post, further increases in challenge could follow this framework. Just as invasions can be turned off, the addition of tunneling, say, or more difficult / unforgiving farming systems, could be disabled in the ini file. This seems to me like it would keep everyone happy. There would be more challenge (and a more interesting game) for those who are bored, and people who are new to the game, don't enjoy the changes or would prefer to focus on building their 20 story crystal tower under the lake can turn it off in the init file.

I must say in the end though, I do find it hard to believe that there's no fortress site you can find that doesn't pose some sort of challenge. The possible sites vary hugely; I don't remember if you mentioned how many forts you've played, but playing many forts for some time rather than one fort for a very long time will give you a much better idea of the many different situations DF can throw at you. I'd been playing for a long time, but then I started a fortress in a region with zombie camels, and it was a completely different dynamic.

Nevertheless, your complaint is legitimate and I can see where it comes from. There have definitely been times when I've gotten bored of a fortress around the 50 dwarf mark. My suggestions are tunnelling for invaders, and degridation of soil. Both of these would make the game harder by making it more INTERESTING, which in the end is the important thing.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

Y'all want a challenge? Play goddamn Star Zoo on the Curses arcade. That thing is brutality.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

I've been meaning to try that one.  My frustration recommendation is Corin's Mystery Massacre.  By the time you hit level 3, you might be slightly bored from the fairly easy early levels...and then the game will wipe the floor with you.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2