Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 3558 times)

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 01:55:28 pm »

Ocarina of time was the one and only Zelda I ever liked, from the little I played it (I never owned my own Nintendo, I've always played other people's).  I was playing Ultima on my C64 when kids were bugging their eyeballs out over the original Legend of Zelda, so I never could see what the fuss was about for that primitive little game.  Looking back, I can see how it was an exceptionally polished little game, but details like that would have been lost on me then.

I always found Starcraft to be supremely mediocre, feeling like the same primitive game mechanics of Warcraft II with a different skin.  Nicely balanced races with nice cutscenes for sure, but Total Annihilation was the game for me for a long time, then Homeworld which came out the same year as SC.  Heck, there's still nothing quite like Homeworld -- not even Homeworld 2.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 04:28:47 pm »

Oh hai there jus me being the best RTS evar made.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 04:36:54 pm »

5. Starcraft: It's STARCRAFT.
We should not include Starcraft in "nostalgia games" therad, SC is still alive and kicking like never before, hell i'm spending 7-10 hours a week just watching proffesional SC.

Also i miss Blood too, Moo2... Dungeon Keeper was also awesome ;]
Aliens vs Predator was also very good game, they don't do games like this anymore, especially if there could be element's that could *gasp* annoy the player (like dying over and over in some tough spot) ...good times ;]

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 07:21:27 pm »

Ooh, Total Anihillation. I forgot about that. Is Supreme Commander Really as good as it?

Also, Loved Mechwarrior II. And Diablo II is still alive. So very alive. You just don't get bored of it, even after the Seventh time.

Biggest Nostalgia for me right now, though? Lylat Wars... I Really want to play it again.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 07:31:40 am »

with the added bonus that Diablo 2 really works on netbooks (unlike some other I could name that claim that but dont). I uninstalled it because I was getting TOO hooked
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:22 am »

Also, Loved Mechwarrior II. And Diablo II is still alive. So very alive. You just don't get bored of it, even after the Seventh time.
D2(x) is indeed full of replay value.

Unfortunately insufficient to get you the equipment you need, though. (And this is before they multiplied Durance sizes.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 10:10:50 am »

Orion Burger. From the end of the point&click adventure games golden-age.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 01:41:02 am »

Oh hai there jus me being the best RTS evar made.

Man, I have this game too. I only regret getting too fed up with the computer cheating that I never learned how to play with even a modicum of skill.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 01:57:58 pm »

^
You should really play it. It was the first game and only game I had for like 3 three years on my computer when I was little. Shit was so cash except for the part where my mom loses it when we move and I never play it again. :'(
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 03:18:04 pm »

Millenium, the old moonbase management game. I never got anywhere in it, but I used to love it for some reason.

Also, in response to OP's rant against EA + Sims... Sure, I can forgive them for everything they did to sims 1/2.

What I can't forgive, however, is what they did to Sims 3 and Spore.

Basically, they made the game. Then, they ripped out all the good stuff (Spore = 80% ripped out, Sims 3 = 50% ripped out). And now they plan to sell them, slowly, as Expansion packs.
It's one othe lowest things i've ever seen a company ever do, and I will never forget it. At every opportunity, I will make sure they lose losses, in every tiny or large form.

Well, except that I still buy their expansions...
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 04:00:44 pm »

Another game I miss is one I've brought up a few times before...  Namely, Beasts and Bumpkins.

It's good until the later levels when the game becomes more a puzzle than an RTS... (I think it was level 12 that always pissed me off (and still does) so much that I stopped playing)

The only one of my favourite games from early childhood (~4 years old) thats name I still remember is Digger (and I just found out it's from 1983 so it was old the first time I played it). Also my granpa and uncles liked to play kings quest (VI looks the most familiar... one of the newer ones anyway). I never understood the fun in that...

Later great nostalgia games are warcrafts (1 & 2), duke nukems (1 (=Duke Nukum), 2 & 3d), Cosmo's cosmic adventure, bio menace, raptor: call of the shadows, settlers 2, scorched earth, incredible machine, c&c (I only had the demo which had GDI levels 1, 3, 10 and 6?. When I loaned the game from a friend, I found that I could skip straight to level 10), c&c red alert, God of Thunder... I never liked doom though. too damn scary :-[

Edit: Gems that I almost forgot: SimTower, SimCity2000 (I never liked the original that much), Captain Comic, Captain Keens, Turtles 2 for NES... I'm sure I'll remember a couple more soon...  ::)

Edit2: Ofcourse! Dark Ages - Prince of Destiny, Titus the Fox, Blues Brothers, Lemmings (It's in my signature and I couldn't remember it), Earthsiege 2, Wolfenstein 3d, Cyberstorm, Crystal Caves, Oilcap (which is a clone of pipe mania), Ski or Die. Grand prix Circuit is one of my all time favourites...

I think I could go on forever but I think I should just stop... I'm not sure if I can... All the good times coming back... I think I should replay all these games (or at least the ones I've got/can get/run under XP)  :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:42:48 pm by Ametsala »

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:16 pm »

I don't think much of Spore was ripped out by EA higher-ups: I think Will Wright channeled his inner Peter Molyneux and over-hyped, over-promised, and under-delivered.  He blathered a lot about procedural generation and "demoscene code" but when it came time to show something, all he ever showed was the primordial soup level, which they just slapped slightly cuter graphics on.  I lay the blame entirely on Maxis.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 01:23:54 am »

Dark Legions.
Megazeux.
Skifree.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 02:25:16 am »

I don't think much of Spore was ripped out by EA higher-ups: I think Will Wright channeled his inner Peter Molyneux and over-hyped, over-promised, and under-delivered.  He blathered a lot about procedural generation and "demoscene code" but when it came time to show something, all he ever showed was the primordial soup level, which they just slapped slightly cuter graphics on.  I lay the blame entirely on Maxis.

Honestly, spore was great in terms of the technology in it. It just had painfully bad gameplay the further you got in it. Cell stage was mindless but entertaining, creature was ok, sort of, Tribe was also ok, Civ was painfully horrible, with no strategy or even just random luck, Space was terrible and stupid. Playing on hard with a suitably horrific creature, however, was actually quite a bit of good mindless fun (actually, it was much better on hard, except for civ which is unredeemable (except for ICBM victory, which was almost awesome enough to make up for it); hard actually made things easier because the main change seemed to be giving everything less health, eliminating the horrid grind). Especially without eyes.

I don't think I can really feel "nostalgic" about any games, because the games I played growing up were crap picked up second hand or from a bargain bin, or were over my head. The handful of old games I've found to be good I've only come across recently, and in general I think games as a whole are significantly better than they were, say, in the nineties. The only deleterious effects on the general quality seems to mainly stem from the modern console-centric focus; over simplifying controls to work with the horribly limited and unresponsive game pads, over simplifying interfaces because they're meant to be seen from a couple of meters away on a low resolution screen, over simplifying gameplay to allegedly broaden the audience, etc. And old games are hardly better in those regards, mostly due to technical limitations (smaller screens, slower cpus, really the only exception is occasionally the controls, since the keyboard and mouse have been around much longer, though again limitations in size, cpu cycles, and ram limit the potential there).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3