Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dynamic Fortress Size  (Read 7979 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dynamic Fortress Size
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

Dynamic sizes.  AKA, you can dig down, and more squares are created around the area you are digging.  Build a tower, and more squares are allocated above.

Right now there is a huge amount of "blank space" that eats framerate.

For the dynamic size in regards to the edge of the screen, there should be some way to expand your fortress out; be it by building near the edges, or what.

I really want this, because large fortresses are unplayable for me.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Fortress Size
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

Bump?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 02:55:00 am »

2nded - Seriously, a good idea. Though, it should be taken to its limits. Imagine tunnelling through a mountain range, into a goblin fortress that was nowhere near your embark. Or build a highway back to the mountainhomes?

Wonder how hard it would be to implement though?

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:03:00 am »

What do you mean with created? I'm pretty sure the current system works quite this way, as tiles are only loaden into memory no sooner than a digging designation is placed somewhere on the same z-level.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

What if you dug too far? Wouldn't the whole game eventually crash because it has so little FPS?
This is -ing good wood!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by zagibu:
<STRONG>What do you mean with created? I'm pretty sure the current system works quite this way, as tiles are only loaden into memory no sooner than a digging designation is placed somewhere on the same z-level.</STRONG>
This is only kinda true, though - your ceiling is created and fixed the instant you arrive (and contains a lot of empty space), while it could be set to just 2 levels higher than the highest object, or something similar. And your floor is absolutely fixed; there's a "bottom" of the world that you can't dig through.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

It's only limited due to the way it sucks the GFPS out of your computer.

What I'd like to see is something similar to Adventure Mode where you -could- keep going forever. Basically you have a 256x256 tile area or similar, if a dwarf moves too far out one direction it would expand to 512x256 (get the picture? 1x1 site becomes a 2x1 and so on, dynamically). Then when a dwarf is back at your main site, anything that was in the newly loaded area would be stored, similar to the way it is in Adv mode.

The same when digging down, you -could- dig down forever, but once your dwarf is back to the main z = 0 (+/- 15) it would be saved and removed from active memory, until the next time you want to go to z = -1000.

I surely hope that made some sense.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

Imagine generating a pocket world, going around and digging out every chunk of rock and ore, then building a tower that reaches from the now-giant ocean all the way into space. That's what I would do in your suggested game, Surma.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MaxVance:
<STRONG>Imagine generating a pocket world, going around and digging out every chunk of rock and ore, then building a tower that reaches from the now-giant ocean all the way into space. That's what I would do in your suggested game, Surma.</STRONG>

I endorse this plan with every fibre of my being.

Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

Sooo.. if this ever gets implemented, who's going to do the Burj Dubai tower?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 08:07:00 am »

Hahahahaaha.

Yeah, it should be limited, to a degree.  But being able to get bigger would be great.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 08:10:00 am »

I heartily support this, so long as Toady includes orbiting bodies in world gen, so I can build my scaffolding to the Moon, and claim it in the name of the Mountainhomes.

Plus: Dwarven Moon Base + Animal Pit = Dwarven Orbital Bombardment Cannon.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 08:13:00 am »

Probably should be an init option somewhere with something like MAX_MEMORY that would determine how many blocks can be added to your fortress.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>I heartily support this, so long as Toady includes orbiting bodies in world gen, so I can build my scaffolding to the Moon, and claim it in the name of the Mountainhomes.

Plus: Dwarven Moon Base + Animal Pit = Dwarven Orbital Bombardment Cannon.</STRONG>

Urist McDwarfy cancles Construct Wall: suffocating in thin atmosphere

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:32:08 pm »

Urist McSupertough, Mason cancels Contruct Floor: No gravity.
Pages: [1] 2 3