Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ways to change cooking alcohol?  (Read 1361 times)

Gavinfoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ways to change cooking alcohol?
« on: April 03, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »

I think the whole "cooking alcohol to have 5 times the food" thing is an exploit at best, and very implausible.  Perhaps alcohol should not be cookable in any way without changing an init file or entering a cheat? that would make agriculture often have more varieties of other food, and add a little bit of depth to the cooking and milling. Perhaps something can be done to make the mill more useful?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Ways to change cooking alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:24:00 pm »

I think the eventual plan is to make alcohol a sort of "essence".  To cook, you need a material, and can add an essence to improve the flavour.  Thus, someone could make rum-cooked plump helmets (mmm!), but couldn't make rum-cooked rum ("isn't that, like, just warm rum?").
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

Someone already has suggested spices; I don't know what became of the idea or if it was discussed at all. But beverages could well be spices: adding one unit of beer, wine, etc for flavor should be alright, but as far as substance goes, it shouldn't add to the outcome:

5 Something + 5 Other + 1 Drink = 10 Meals

I'd hate it if a cook would pour a full barrel into a meal, though.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

Yes, I agree.

On a similar topic, brewers should be able to take partially filled barrels of alcohol, and brew more to save space.  (not sure if that's realistic)

If that's not realistic, then maybe organize the alcohol stockpile AI such that dwarves do not drink straight from the tap.  They use a mug/flask/tankard, fill it up, and then go drink it in the dining room.  When choosing a barrel, they choose any alcohol type they want, but use the one with the least amount of alcohol first.  This way you can more consistantly keep up with demand without having 50 barrels with one unit of alcohol each keeping you from brewing more.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:07:00 am »

So it's normal that dwarves stick their heads into the barrels? I always thought it was a mistake on my part, lacking a mugshop or something.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »

I have a huge mug industry to use up rocks and one noble who is obsessed with moonstone and mugs has a huge moonstone mug collection that totally fills her quarters.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>...but couldn't make rum-cooked rum ("isn't that, like, just warm rum?").</STRONG>

Butter-dipped-butter   :p

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG>adding one unit of beer, wine, etc for flavor should be alright, but as far as substance goes, it shouldn't add to the outcome:

5 Something + 5 Other + 1 Drink = 10 Meals</STRONG>

While it's not particularly nutritious, alcohol is high in calories.  I think it should contribute to the total amount of food produced.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

You can use alcohol to make stew.

25 ale + 7 mule meat + 4 mule tallow = *mule tallow stew* (36).

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

Maybe cooking shouldn't completely conserve mass...
like:
Easy Meal: FoodA + FlavourA|FoodB = 1*Biscuit (Value = 2 (For easy) * (FoodA.Value + (FlavourA|FoodB).Value))

Normal Meal: FoodA + FlavourA|FoodB + FlavourB|FoodC= 1*Stew
(Value = 3 (For normal) * (FoodA.Value + (FlavourA|FoodB).Value) + (FlavourB|FoodC).Value))

So a Plump helmet roast seasoned with 3 spices worth 10 each would be:
4*(2+10+10+10) => 128 Value
But you would only get 1 unit of food. Not 4.

Just like a roast of 4 plump helmets would be
4*(2+2+2+2) => 32 Value
So one 32 value item, rather than four 2 value items.

The question is whether shrooms are better in high quantities, or high quality.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ctrlfrk:
<STRONG>The question is whether shrooms are better in high quantities, or high quality.</STRONG>

I can't help it...

...quality shrooms, yeah, beats quantity, unless you juts don't have enough, then I guess quantity beats quality...

Man, I wish I had some!

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Erasmus Darwin:
<STRONG>

While it's not particularly nutritious, alcohol is high in calories.  I think it should contribute to the total amount of food produced.</STRONG>

Alcohol is very volatile and boils off very quickly.  That's why you have to add vanilla and other extracts at the very end, or else all the alcohol boils away, taking the extract with it.  Alcoholic beverages when used as an ingredient have no alcohol left in them.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

I use beer when I make pancakes all the time, instead of water.

1c. Flour
1/4c. Sugar
1 Egg
1c. Beer!
1/2tsp. Salt
1/2tsp. Baking Powder

My pancakes are super fluffy, but don't taste like beer. Besides it's a great way to get rid of the crap beer my friends like to bring over... (I am a beer snob.)

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Abyssal Squid:
<STRONG>Alcohol is very volatile and boils off very quickly.</STRONG>

But man doesn't live off booze alone...

I don't know if its merely a catholic thing or maybe even specific to southern germany. But people liked to cheat during Lent. For example with "Lent Beers", traditionally brewed at monasteries. These beers not only deliver calories (in the form of sugar and a higher than usual content of alcohol), they are as nutritious as beer can get, with enough solid matter dissolved in them that they're approaching the consistency of a thin soup. Anyway, it was a drink, so it didn't break the fast.

Still, would it make much of a difference (other than taste) if you used such a beer in your pancakes instead of the more common stuff?