Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Attributed Dwarf (Test data is in!)  (Read 3854 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
The Attributed Dwarf (Test data is in!)
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:44:01 pm »

Update: The second experiment's results are in as an excel spreadsheet at
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0At7ivKix5v-TdGFnZkpQdVlDZjVrWU5YcjhJekxyOUE&hl=en

Hey everyone.  I've seen a lot of talk about social skills recently and how they're sooo great for levelling.  Coincidentally, I'd been running an experiment to determine the best way to level a dwarf.  The test is spoilered below, since I made some mistakes and I'm not fully satisfied with the results, and it's a weird mix of jotted notes and half-hearted RP.  I did learn some things though:
1) Wrestling is by far the fastest way to *start* a dwarf levelling, about 450 XP per day
2) Wrestling becomes *extremely* slow once the participants are high-level wrestlers, as they no longer hit each other often.
3) Record keeping seems fairly steady at around 250 XP day, as long as records need keeping.
4) Two dwarves locked in isolation will gain social XP at exactly the same rate, distributed randomly to different social skills.
5) High-level social dwarves gain about 82 XP per day, better than a legendary miner but much worse than record keepers and novice wrestlers.  Easier to grind though.

I'll be running a second, better, test soon.  I'll be taking notes more frequently, including attributes which may affect the gain rate, and I'll be putting the results in a spreadsheet.  Any XP-related theories you'd like me to include in the test, please post them here.  Right now my tests are:
1) A *massive* glass production operation to keep the record keeper busy
2) Training a single wrestler (bearing shield and armor) against a constant stream of fresh recruits

The original experiment, rough-hewn:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:53:55 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Research for the most experienced dwarf in the world
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:28:11 pm »

I've tried most of those methods, and while wrestling and record keeping are good, I would rather train a large number of people at once with the pump gym.  I had all my peasants become legendary pump operators so they hauled better.  I also drew my military from those peasants, so they started with a bunch of attributes.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:52:55 pm »

Finding out that social skills are very useful has made me a much calmer player - I panic way less at idlers than I used to when I thought that idling was in fact work being lost.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:05:39 pm »

You stole Morul's name.  >:(

Very nice research. It's good to know exactly how much experience you get daily in a few of the most recommended training methods.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:13:01 pm »

Great job on the research. Kind of surprising how long it's taken for someone to really knuckle down and do something like this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Attributed Dwarf
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:23:00 pm »

Thank you all!  Remember, I'm looking for suggestions on further research.

I've tried most of those methods, and while wrestling and record keeping are good, I would rather train a large number of people at once with the pump gym.  I had all my peasants become legendary pump operators so they hauled better.  I also drew my military from those peasants, so they started with a bunch of attributes.

I too have used pump farms, but these tests show that they are relatively ineffective.  The best way to train haulers is to have them train wrestling.  Having them socialize is nearly as effective, but you may need a small meeting area to maximize their talky-time.

Digging and pump operating came in far behind these two strategies.

On the plus side, pump-training is aesthetically pleasing and simple to manage, so I'll probably continue to do it.  I'm just researching the maximal strategies out of curiosity and a challenge.

Finding out that social skills are very useful has made me a much calmer player - I panic way less at idlers than I used to when I thought that idling was in fact work being lost.

Same thing happened to me, very relaxing.  Now I've snapped and am trying to munchkin a dwarf up to godlike status.

You stole Morul's name.  >:(

Very nice research. It's good to know exactly how much experience you get daily in a few of the most recommended training methods.

Thanks!  About "the most experienced dwarf in the world"... heh, maybe it's a little too similar.  I meant it as a tribute, but I don't want to fool people into clicking, so I'll just change it if that's possible. 

I do plan to raise the most experienced dwarf ever, in stage 3.  This messy experiment was stage 1, stage 2 will be a more rigorous test with dwarves who actually eat and sleep, and stage 3 will raise a "chosen" dwarf, from birth to, to have the highest possible attributes on his dying day.  Since there are no caps on attributes, that means his/her whole life will be "optimized".  Fortunately for him, that may just mean a lot of socializing after an initial wrestling regimen.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 11:27:31 am »

Of course, the danger with training wrestling is that if you aren't careful, you'll get champions out of it. And you can only have one record keeper at a time. Socialization is massively parallel, though; on forts where I've had nothing to do with my migrants, I've seen "Urist is more experienced" messages for all of the new migrants within a few in-game hours of each other.

It's gonna be annoying in the next version to not have as many agile dwarves...speed boosts are really ridiculously nice for speeding up the gameplay.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 11:32:19 am »

Yeah, I still think that was a bad update. Of course, it seems like it might be the only bad one, so...

What I like most about socialization is that it A. Requires no micromanagement. By definition, it's what dwarves do when you don't tell them to do anything. And B. You can have a massive amount of dwarves doing it at once.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 03:41:02 pm »

It's gonna be annoying in the next version to not have as many agile dwarves...speed boosts are really ridiculously nice for speeding up the gameplay.

Yeah, I hope this topic gets a re-visit after the next update. I'm not sure what will be the best way to train agility (though I suspect sparring).

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:08:48 pm »

can you do 3 at a time
two for champions , one for nonchampion.

socialization is the main way to train in my forts as it fits round work and helps keep them happey most of the time.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:34:53 pm »

How about Siege Operating?

EDIT: And Swimming?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 01:26:58 am »

How about Siege Operating?

EDIT: And Swimming?

Swimming!  Thanks for reminding me, I keep forgetting it.
It might be possible to have a dwarf train Wrestling, Armorbearing, Shield Use, Swimming, plus social skills (happens during sparring, more often when the sparrers are high level) all at the same time.  One of the tests will definitely include dwarves sparring in water.  I don't know if they'll actually do it, yet, so it might be a short test.  I doubt the water will slow them down, but it's possible, so there will be a control group.

As for Siege Operating, I've actually never built a ballista!  I'll try to figure it out.  I predict it's about the same as pump operating or mining, but that's just a theory.
She/they

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 02:48:28 am »

Siege operating isn't that fast. It's no faster than any other skill, and skills that allow for larger nearby piles (gem cutting, for instance, because they can be retrieved from bins, or plant processing of pig tails, weaving, etc.) I think pump operating or mining would probably be clearly faster. Or engraving.

The goal on labors is to eliminate as much of the hauling duty as possible. So, siege operating could work with a quantum stockpile pretty much right on the catapult. The problem with these is that they require so many other hauling jobs, that while you might skill one dwarf up fast, the others are going nowhere.

Personally, I think sparring in a single skill, with full armor and shield is the fastest XP gainer. While Morul was working on swordsdwarf, some of the other military guys picked up 60+ levels in 8 years, just in sword, let alone armor and shield. Morul was MUCH slower, possibly because it was his last weapon. The earlier weapons went significantly faster for him.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 01:05:52 pm »

I have a special layout for training siege operating that cuts down on hauling time quite a bit. The key is that if the ammo drops at least one Z-level, it isn't destroyed. If you fire a catapult (or a ballista) straight at a wall, and the ammo falls into a channel, a dwarf can easily walk down and retrieve it. With the below setup, retrieval distance (round trip) is a mere 14 tiles.

Code: [Select]
CCC
<CCC_
 CCC

This distance can be further decreased if operators work in teams, like so:

Code: [Select]
CCC
 CCC        _
<CCC     CCC<
_        CCC
         CCC

Even though this skill is not particularly fast, keep in mind that you may wish to train it anyways after a dwarf trains most of the "power-leveling" skills like socializing and record keeping. Don't forget that the quality of the parts affects reloading time. If you find yourself with three exceptional or masterwork ballista parts, it just may be worth it to train up a siege operator.

Also keep in mind that dwarves are not efficiency-minded creatures. If there is a stone on the other side of the map, your siege operator likely will zero in on that stone. For this reason, I recommend using a ballista and reusing the same three or four arrows.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 01:14:48 pm »

Masterpiece ballista parts work faster, eh?  Sounds like that's worth a test then, if only to see what the relative speed is.  Thanks for the ammo-saving tip, that makes it a lot easier to leave running.

As for swimming: Dwarves don't seem to gain any swimming until they're in at least 4-depth water, and dwarves in 4-depth water wouldn't spar or chat.  I tried.  Mostly quick and uneventful test, except the researcher threw his bucket in the testing "pond" and generated about 10,000 cancellation announcements.  Additional buckets didn't help, apparently he wanted THAT bucket, even when forbidden.
She/they
Pages: [1] 2 3