Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ultimate lava trap!  (Read 11820 times)

Icebird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate lava trap!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 07:40:47 am »

Its a serie of 13 one-tile iron bridge, that, when activated, form 13 pillars. It prevent lava left-over on the 13 tiles where I cannot put grates.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 07:56:51 am »

I made an attempt at a similar trap some months ago but I tried for a continous shower of magma instead of a mass dump, this way I could leave the gates open and the goblins would just rush in till enough had cripsed over. Couldn't come up with a way to have all tiles accounted for in a 3 wide corridor (caravan wagons) and still ensure that no magma was left behind to block the corridor. Well done on thinking of using bridges!

I like the design but gotta say I'm put off by the enormous scale of the contrsuction compared to the result and that goblins still have a chance to pass through if the gates don;t close fast enough.

With that many pumps you would expect the world to flood with magma or something to blow up! Anyway still very impressive at the sheer speed it melts down the gobbos and resets. I guess anything can be improved but this is a damn fine first step.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 02:12:13 pm »

I made an attempt at a similar trap some months ago but I tried for a continous shower of magma instead of a mass dump, this way I could leave the gates open and the goblins would just rush in till enough had cripsed over. Couldn't come up with a way to have all tiles accounted for in a 3 wide corridor (caravan wagons) and still ensure that no magma was left behind to block the corridor. Well done on thinking of using bridges!

I like the design but gotta say I'm put off by the enormous scale of the contrsuction compared to the result and that goblins still have a chance to pass through if the gates don;t close fast enough.

With that many pumps you would expect the world to flood with magma or something to blow up! Anyway still very impressive at the sheer speed it melts down the gobbos and resets. I guess anything can be improved but this is a damn fine first step.

You don't have to worry about goblins passing through, if you notice, on the other side of the magma hall is a series of traps.  Nothing could get through that. 

But the use of bridges is brilliant!  I award you with the Dwarf Award!  (my own creation... right now) For you sir, have earned it.

Sorry but I'm gonna have to copy the design though.  It's just too amazing to pass up.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 05:08:24 pm »

Dwarfing awesome design! Although pumps are so efficient I think you could have made it with perhaps one fifth of the ammount of pumps....

I have a plan in the works for a similar system of gobo murdering, but it'd involve pressurized magma and a long downard spiral into the fortress. But I want the next version of DF before it because not being able to acess it once it updates would suck so much  :'(
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 08:35:31 pm »

What i dont like is no bones! but the design is amazing--i'm going to try this with water so i can shunt the swimming gobbos into a drowning chamber that can be drained to collect their sweet sweet bones. This could also be a perfect swimming design if you have grates on the walls so your dwarves get pressed against the grates being forced to swim. Once the new version is finished i have so much things to do to my dwarves!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 01:51:49 am »

What i dont like is no bones! but the design is amazing--i'm going to try this with water so i can shunt the swimming gobbos into a drowning chamber that can be drained to collect their sweet sweet bones. This could also be a perfect swimming design if you have grates on the walls so your dwarves get pressed against the grates being forced to swim. Once the new version is finished i have so much things to do to my dwarves!

I agree with you on the bones, but there is a relatively easy dwarfy solution... Set up the trap to have both a water and magma reservoir.  Drown the targets, loot the corpses (since they'll be indoor should happen automatically) then wash the cloth away with magma. 

It wouldn't be that hard to do either.... set up iron  bridges on the Z level underneath the trap to hold magma when it drains, and set up a chamber below that has water and uses pressure to flood the magma reclaiming area and and trap level.  Turn it off and the water drains out.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 06:39:40 am »

I like the look of this one, if I ever get round to doing my dream project of defensive hallways gallery this will be in it, a prime example of magma from above, got plans myself of a model from below, though admittedly I bugged my game up somehow and dont get caravans anymore so while I'd like to do it sooner, but there is always the next version on the horizon, offering new opportunities. Hopefully deconstructing and reconstructing the depot will work it out =P

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 12:40:11 am »

Not gonna lie, I would love to see what your entire fort looks like in stonesense.. but Especially that lava trap.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

blur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 03:00:19 pm »

I've build a larger version of this trap. It uses 144 screw pumps to keep a 72 tiles long entrance hall save. On the whole floor are grates in the following arrangement:

Code: [Select]
|##+|
|+##|
|##+|
|+##|

#=Grate
+=Floor
|=Wall
==Fortification
p=Pump

The level above looks the same:

Code: [Select]
p=##+=p
 |+##|
p=##+=p
 |+##|

I've build a power plant which produces between 300 and 10000 power units. That's the bad side of my trap: it isn't always instantly available, sometimes I have to wait a quarter of a minute (but because of the hallway's length it isn't important).
The magma crosses both levels without being stopped.

Maybe I should say that I'm using a Version of DF Extended, so I can extract ores from Obsidian.

So far, it's all right. But those damned goblins weren't sieging me so far, so I couldn't test the case of emergency. :(

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 08:15:40 pm »

This uses pretty much exactly the same principle as my drowning traps, except yours is a) an order of magnitude more efficient and b) ridiculously dwarfy because it's fucking magma.

You win at the internet.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 10:26:26 pm »

That was beautiful. I'm imagining the Dwarven national anthem playing in the background.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 11:13:17 pm »

That was beautiful. I'm imagining the Dwarven national anthem playing in the background.

What exactly is the dwarven national anthem?

Also: absurdly awesome trap. Were it not for my absurd fondness for capturing whole sieges in cage traps, this would be stolen in a second.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 11:16:49 pm »

I seem to recall a post from the Nist Akath thread suggesting "Ready To Die" by Andrew W.K., although that was probably meant specifically for Ironblood... it works though.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 02:42:13 pm »

well, you'd be wrong, the anthem isn't playing the the background, goblins screaming as they burn to death is magma IS the dwarven anthem.

Awesome trap, but most of my entrance ways to shame.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:34 pm »

I was originally thinking the catchy classical guitar that plays during the game, but now I'm reconsidering.

I now imagine the Dwarven National Anthem to sound like dwarves playing their green glass drums... with steel warhammers.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4