Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Ultimate lava trap!  (Read 11807 times)

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate lava trap!
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 04:52:39 pm »

Sorry for bumping this, but as a newer player I have to get this straight: how exactly does the magma get released into the hallway? And what gates are being closed in the video?
(About those bridges: they're drawbridges that get lifted to destroy the magma on them instead of draining it, right?)
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 07:07:38 pm »

As I recall, the magma is dumped from above, and is then allowed to fall through the grates.

The drawbridges are there merely tro keep the magma from settling on the floor tile on which they sit.

I don't know about the gates (probably doors, considering they have no lag, as compared to floodgates, which reqire 100 steps to activate).

Everything is effectively explained, already, if you would be willing to read the previous posts.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:27 pm »

I just wanted to make sure.
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 01:24:27 am »

AWESOME!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2010, 04:34:46 pm »

LOVE this trap, simply amazing.

Any ideas on how to counter building destroyers destroying your grates?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »

Landmines in front of the entrance (hatch over pressurized magma).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 06:06:41 pm »

I want landmines now.

But good god, man! That was amazing! I am jealous of your fortress skills!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 02:11:31 am »

its a 3-wide walkway right? seems like this could be modified to handle building destroyers by making the center 1-tile path a constructed floor, while leaving the outside for drains.  Even if trolls destroy the grates, enemies will still path in, and the magma will still drain.  Some enemies might get knocked off the center tile into the magma reservoir at the bottom, but since its magma it shouldn't be too much of a problem.  Then you just have to replace the grates, which should be easy enough.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 10:56:39 am »

What if...

...instead of floor grates, carve down stairs in the entire three tile path.  Enemies can move forward over stairs, lava flows down stairs, and they're constructions, so building destroyers cant break them.

I'm not sure if you can build a drawbridge over stairs, but if you can wagons would still be able to come in.  Also, I have no idea how collecting goblinite would work on stairs.

Anyone know if you can build a drawbridge over the top of downward stairs, and if you can collect goblinite off of stairs?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 11:15:13 am »

How exactly can you force magma rise up a level by applying pressure?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2010, 03:55:12 am »

Use a pump. Magma doesn't naturally have pressure, but if pumped into a U-shape it'll rise to the same level as the pump output:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Pressure#Magma_in_a_U-bend

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2010, 05:13:25 am »

I can vouch for green glass, i use it all the time as a cheap magma-safe material that looks good.

Building destroyers would make your trap Fun :)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 02:32:38 am »

What if...

...instead of floor grates, carve down stairs in the entire three tile path.  Enemies can move forward over stairs, lava flows down stairs, and they're constructions, so building destroyers cant break them.

Excellent!  although the idea of a whole corridor of downward staircases seems silly.  You could intersperse floors with downward staircases though, or mix and match solid floors, downward staircases and grates.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 02:27:11 pm »

*Bump*
People should continue to see this thread.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 04:07:13 pm »

What if...

I'm not sure if you can build a drawbridge over stairs, but if you can wagons would still be able to come in.  Also, I have no idea how collecting goblinite would work on stairs.

Anyone know if you can build a drawbridge over the top of downward stairs, and if you can collect goblinite off of stairs?
I was actually thinking about using ramps.  I know you can have a bridge over ramps - not that you need it, since you could just have the depot at the end of the trap. If you had a few ramps followed by a line of grates you should be able to drain quickly with no left over lava... I am assuming that lava falling down from above onto a ramp will stay long enough to kill and burn - I assume so, because of the cool laval mysters.

Bascially, something like:

(side view)
___>
      >
       >
        >
         >
          >
           >##______________

(Top View)

+++
+++