Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ultimate lava trap!  (Read 11810 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Ultimate lava trap!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:20 pm »

So, this makes magma from a cistern fill up from under the grates due to pump-generated pressure?

Nope - it's just dumping a 3 Z-level magma tank into the passage (by opening a bunch of retracting bridges above it), where the pumps serve to cycle the magma back up to the top.

Filling it from below would be even more Dwarfy - I seem to recall seeing a drowning trap that operated in that manner, but I don't remember where.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:20:43 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Icebird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 02:41:00 pm »

The history of this trap construction is full of mistakes and time waste. Here are some:

-At start, the lenght was nearly one third of what it is today! The trap was working,  but I had a hard time catching more than a couple gobs without them going trough before the gates were closed.
When I understood I would have to greatly extend the lenght, I got depressed by the huge amount of work needed. The first part was hours and hours of work, and I had to do more than double that! That nearly put a definitive stop on it, and it took me 6 months to finally start working again, and a few weeks later, tadaaa!

-Once, after testing the trap and loading in with lava, I forgot to forbid the door leading to the reservoir. Of course, while I was not looking, a dwarf working on the pumps at that level opened it (what for???) and burned alive. The side effect was that the spilled lava blocked the way and two more worker nearly starved to death.

-The most awful huge astounding horrible mistake I did was when I installed the pumps. I had already tried the stacking method, so I knew what I was doing. Copying what I did before, I designed the walls, floor, for hours, then put the pumps, with my fingers sores from the repetitive task done hundreds of times.
Then I test-fired it. And nothing happened...
I realised I had forgotten one little thing... to put a hole under each pump so they transfer power to each other! And removing the floor afterward did NOT repair it! I had to deconstruct and rebuild EACH pump!! And the worse is, I already did the same mistake when I built the first part of the trap! I KNEW this mistake, and I did it again! Aaarghh!

-Of course, I had numerous case of stupid dwarves blockinf themselves when deconstructing floor, building wall that prevented the construction of other pieces of wall, etc... I also had some cases of cave-in, the most stupid one was when I deconstructed a floor, and realised that floor are not linked to bridges... So I had half a dozen square of floor, adjacent to a bridge and nothing else, falling throught the iron floor grates, the bottom cistern, and the workshops under it...

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something,but why so many pumps? just speed, and making sure every last bit of lava is cleared out?

Icebird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 03:24:08 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something,but why so many pumps? just speed, and making sure every last bit of lava is cleared out?

Yep, that's it. Well, I could have done with half the pump, maybe even less, but it looked better like this ^^

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:00 pm »

Would it be possible to pressurize the magma?

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 07:50:16 pm »

Haha awesome.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 08:20:10 pm »

Must... DO THIS!!!!  I need to start a new fort and get on this.  My current one DOES have magma, but its kinda far away, and it was a big enough pain just getting the magma to my forges.  And besides I'm already planning my super water pressure trap on this fort.

Anyone have a good way to get magma where you want it quicker?  I usually just make a long channel going from the pipe/pool, leading to my fort, but it takes SO LONG to fill it up.  Although it will... eventually.

EDIT:  Oh yea!  I can't quite tell from the map.  What are the tiles in the middle of the channel where the goblins walk.  I mean the tiles that all those grates are anchored to.  I was thinking just regular floor tiles, but wouldn't some magma stay on top (at depth 1) on those tiles then?  I must be missing something then.  Anyone have an answer?

Doubly EDIT: Nvm, fortifications, duh!  I couldn't tell from the map, but when I looked at the video again I could tell what they were.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:06:30 am by Slayer1557 »

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 11:24:26 pm »

Is glass actually magma-proof? I thought the reason people used it in pumps was that they were ignorant of the fact that a pump can be made of any material and will never melt until magma actually overflows onto it and technically enters its tile.
AFAIK, it is for this sort of thing. Glass pumps are magma proof, glass floodgates work just fine with magma, and presumably grates and bridges would also be magma proof. If I'm wrong about this, I withdraw my previous statement. Wiki. Experiments.
According to the Wiki it looks like a bug. FYI, you can build your pumps out of wood if you want. It absolutely does not matter unless lava overflows onto the actual tiles of the pump.

I can vouch for glass pumps not deconstructing when magma overflows onto their tiles.  I currently have a green glass pump that's been under magma for two seasons, though it only recently reached 4/7.  Unless depth has anything to do with it, it's fine.

Unless I wanted a dwarf to manually pump it... actually, ordering that thing to be pumped now would probably kill all of my dumb pump operators.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:04 pm »

Is glass actually magma-proof? I thought the reason people used it in pumps was that they were ignorant of the fact that a pump can be made of any material and will never melt until magma actually overflows onto it and technically enters its tile.
AFAIK, it is for this sort of thing. Glass pumps are magma proof, glass floodgates work just fine with magma, and presumably grates and bridges would also be magma proof. If I'm wrong about this, I withdraw my previous statement. Wiki. Experiments.
According to the Wiki it looks like a bug. FYI, you can build your pumps out of wood if you want. It absolutely does not matter unless lava overflows onto the actual tiles of the pump.

I can vouch for glass pumps not deconstructing when magma overflows onto their tiles.  I currently have a green glass pump that's been under magma for two seasons, though it only recently reached 4/7.  Unless depth has anything to do with it, it's fine.
While I will not guarantee it, my experience suggests that green glass is magma-safe in as much as it will not deconstruct under magma flow. I built a glass floodgate, wall grate, and raising bridge, with levers linked to the floodgate and bridge. In all cases, they operated perfectly well, cycling properly and without deconstructing.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 01:44:53 am »

Why do you have pumps above z-level 16? It seems to me that you could have the same effect without them, lowering the cieling a bit.

Icebird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 02:00:44 am »

EDIT:  Oh yea!  I can't quite tell from the map.  What are the tiles in the middle of the channel where the goblins walk.  I mean the tiles that all those grates are anchored to.  I was thinking just regular floor tiles, but wouldn't some magma stay on top (at depth 1) on those tiles then?  I must be missing something then.  Anyone have an answer?

Doubly EDIT: Nvm, fortifications, duh!  I couldn't tell from the map, but when I looked at the video again I could tell what they were.

Nope, not fortifications, its bridges that can be raised when I use the trap.
The goal is to avoid leftover magma, as you guessed, but I can lower them afterward to allow access to caravans.
I was forced to put pillars under those central tiles because grates cannot support other grates, and the center tiles kept collapsing.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 02:03:02 am »

Now see, THAT is how you do a magma death trap.  It's fast, it's efficient, and it doesn't waste a single drop of magma.  Perfect for dealing with invading armies, irritating nobles, annoying diplomats, and self-absorbed Elves.
Sanity is for the weak.

Icebird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 02:04:50 am »

Why do you have pumps above z-level 16? It seems to me that you could have the same effect without them, lowering the cieling a bit.

Since the bottom cistern is larger than the reservoir, I would not have enough lava in a one-level reservoir to fill correctly the corridor. I would get a shower effect, but I prefer to have enough lava to completly submerge the corridor.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 02:43:47 am »

Icebird, i salute you.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 07:28:35 am »

Nope, not fortifications, its bridges that can be raised when I use the trap.
The goal is to avoid leftover magma, as you guessed, but I can lower them afterward to allow access to caravans.
I was forced to put pillars under those central tiles because grates cannot support other grates, and the center tiles kept collapsing.

Bridges? I am guessing said bridges span the center tile of the corridor, for the lenght. I must say that this is an amazing setup, as it leaves goblinite and disposes of all that is less than desirable.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4