Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strand Questions  (Read 653 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strand Questions
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:45 am »

So I've been thinking about alloys and the amount needed to affect changes in metals (1% carbon in iron makes very good steel, 3% arsenic in copper makes a decent bronze, 12% chromium in steel makes it stainless, 3% Manganese in copper makes a good bronze, 3% to 4% silicon in copper makes a good bronze, the list of low % steel alloys huge). Typically these alloys are not the easiest to refine and are relatively rare and used in tiny quantities. That sounds perfect for using Strands and Strand Extraction (waffers are about 1/3 of a bar, so 1 bar in a reaction that uses/makes 9 or 10 bars is about 3%).

But of course I have a question, a multiple part one at that (nothing came up in a search, I might be the first to ask these).
- The Big One. If I have an ore that produces multiple strands or a strand and an ore or both what happens when I go to extract it? (For example wolframite FeWO4/MnWO4, so 100% tungsten strand, 50% chance of an iron bar, 50% manganese strand. Most other alloys have similar combinations of components)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strand Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:25 pm »

Hmmm... 32 views, 6 hours, no comments. Crap I asked a question no one knows the answer too. I guess that means I have to experiment. I'll post the results and get back to you guys.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:22:31 pm »

Screw strands; they have nothing to do with wafers. At all. Adamantine actually extracts to strands, then there is a specific "custom" reaction (as in, it has the listing and setup in reaction_standard) to turn adamantine strands into, not adamantine wafers, but adamantine bars. In fact, the [WAFERS] tag, added to a metal in the metal's matgloss, is what makes adamantine make wafers, and adamantine bars are literally impossible (because it has wafers instead). So, if you make tungsten strands, you'll then need a custom reaction to turn the strands into bars (which will appear as wafers if you give the tungsten metal the [WAFERS] tag and will count as 1 mat_size for creating things instead of 3, like bars do).

So, you could put the [WAFERS] tag on tungsten and manganese, then make Wolframite that would have the [ORE_METAL:TUNGSTEN:100], [ORE_METAL:IRON:50], and [ORE_METAL:MANGANESE:50] tags. When smelted via the "smelt wolframite ore" option, which you wouldn't have to make a reaction for as ore reactions are coded via the [ORE_METAL tag, you'd have a 100% chance of getting a tungsten wafer (not a tungsten bar!), a 50% chance of getting an iron bar, and a 50% chance of getting a manganese wafer (again, not a manganese bar).

I don't believe that there is any way to extract strands from an item and also get a bar out of it, and I am uncertain as to whether or not you can extract more than one type of strand from one bit of ore, so it's probably best just to skip it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »

Hmmm... 32 views, 6 hours, no comments.
That's pretty common, actually.
Forums are a long-term communication device.
I've seen threads go for days without any replies.
I've seen threads with thousands of views and few replies.
Hell, I've made threads like that.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:08:44 pm »

I find it kind of amusing that the OP is getting into such specifics about concentrations of metals in various compounds, and then talks about metals that there's absolutely zero chance of dwarves even being able to know about.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:46:34 pm »

i thought that you could only get one bar per smelter reaction. lie for gelenia (sp) you had an 80% chance to get a lead bar and a 20% chance to get silver, and it was all just supposed to average out?

if not does that mean i can make an ore that gives multiple types of metals 100% of the time?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:04:39 pm »

i thought that you could only get one bar per smelter reaction. lie for gelenia (sp) you had an 80% chance to get a lead bar and a 20% chance to get silver, and it was all just supposed to average out?

if not does that mean i can make an ore that gives multiple types of metals 100% of the time?

Straight from the raws, unmodified.

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_STONE:GALENA]
[NAME:galena][COLOR:7:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GRANITE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:LIMESTONE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:LEAD:100]
[METAL_ORE:SILVER:50]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7500]
[VALUE:5]

and

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_STONE:TETRAHEDRITE]
[NAME:tetrahedrite][COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:COPPER:100]
[METAL_ORE:SILVER:20]
[VALUE:3]

So I would say yes it does.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »

No reaction or ore has to add up to 100, and can be either more or less. Reagents for reactions can be different amounts too, you can even go without a reagent altogether (otherwise known as "cheating").
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 10:50:53 pm »

That is correct. However there is a simpler way and that is to download my Metal Mod (stickeyd thread and one of the lowest ones on the list) Essentially I eleminated the [ORE] tag and made it simpler for metal modding.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 06:02:45 am »

That is correct. However there is a simpler way and that is to download my Metal Mod (stickeyd thread and one of the lowest ones on the list) Essentially I eleminated the [ORE] tag and made it simpler for metal modding.

Yes seen that. I want to go a different route.