Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 124909 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #735 on: June 11, 2010, 12:45:41 pm »

I played HL1, which was the only one I actually liked enough to not want to kill myself in the middle of the process. I can say the same as you about TF2 which was the reason I got steam to begin with.

I'm watching Freeman's Mind for that one.  I don't really feel like playing something so old, and the machinima itself is clever, adding another layer of enjoyment.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 11, 2010, 12:54:45 pm »

Hm, I haven't played those two, are they mainly console games? And yes, Max Payne 2 deals with a self-justified serial killer (max) going deeper into his nuttyness.

Yes, Xbox titles. It's essentially the same as Max Payne as far as the story; a man convicted for killing his family, his descent into the darkness of his own nature, his personal choice between good and evil and the blurring of the lines of reality....along with bevy of just plain ol' human suffering. The game is pretty grim. Not spectacularly written, but it's got lots of flavor. (And the Suffering 2 gets ****ing hard after a while.) It also has some of the most bad ass monsters.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 11, 2010, 12:59:36 pm »

Ah, I don't play consoles. I will see if I can find a [good] LP later today when I don't have any work to do.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #738 on: June 11, 2010, 02:05:37 pm »

...I don't really feel like playing something so old...

You are on the DF forums. Dwarf Fortress hearkens back a quarter century in terms of appearance.

HL1 is not that old or bad, and remains worth a play.

Dang. Fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:06:00 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:50 pm »

...I don't really feel like playing something so old...

You are on the DF forums. Dwarf Fortress hearkens back a quarter century in terms of appearance.

HL1 is not that old or bad, and remains worth a play.

You're quotes are off.  You need to remove Soulwynd's quote tag.

ANYWAY.  DwarfFortress has a certain appeal for having "1980s" graphics.  HL1 I'm just not intersted in playing.  I only played HL2 (etc) because I already owned them.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 12, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I only played Civilization because I went to the store, purchased it, and brought it home to remove the shrinkwrap. I wouldn't have played it otherwise.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 12, 2010, 11:33:41 pm »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I only played Civilization because I went to the store, purchased it, and brought it home to remove the shrinkwrap. I wouldn't have played it otherwise.

...I bought the Orange Box for Portal and Portal alone.  I would have gotten it by itself, but my friend convinced me that TF2 would be worth it, and for the pre-order price if $40 I was getting the two $20 games I wanted but got HL2 for free.

That's what I meant.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 13, 2010, 08:32:35 pm »

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:35:55 pm by Draco18s »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 13, 2010, 09:17:20 pm »

That was a half hour well spent.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 13, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »

Make sure to watch the first part as well.

It's worth it even if you saw the second part first.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 13, 2010, 10:35:30 pm »

I now crave part three just to know how that cluster fuck ends. I played XIII, IX, and then didn't play again until FFXI and XII.

I wish I had just stopped playing at 7 altogether.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 14, 2010, 12:49:06 am »

I agree with games being dumbed down, Fallout 2 to Fallout 3 is a good example. (Don't bitch about them being made by different companies, i'm making a point) In Fallout 2 you had a few more skills than 3, sure, but you could also choose personality traits I believe that also modified things. You could date people on F2 but not F3 etc. etc.

Dungeon Keeper to Dungeon Keeper 2 is also a good example, DK had more creatures and they had more special abilities than on DKII.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 14, 2010, 01:45:29 am »

I agree with games being dumbed down, Fallout 2 to Fallout 3 is a good example. (Don't bitch about them being made by different companies, i'm making a point) In Fallout 2 you had a few more skills than 3, sure, but you could also choose personality traits I believe that also modified things. You could date people on F2 but not F3 etc. etc.

Dungeon Keeper to Dungeon Keeper 2 is also a good example, DK had more creatures and they had more special abilities than on DKII.

To be fair, there are mods that let you date people in F3. One or two of them are actually decent.

They did remove the traits (placing most of those effects into the feat system, which is a carry-over from before). On the flipside, we now get to have appearances other than 'Man with Brown Hair' and 'Woman with Shoulder-Length Black Hair'.

I was always frustrated in Arcanum about how my dude looked nothing like the portrait. Only once (while playing Victoria Warrington) was I able to force myself to imagine her looking like the portrait and not the sprite.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:56 pm »

I was always frustrated in Arcanum about how my dude looked nothing like the portrait. Only once (while playing Victoria Warrington) was I able to force myself to imagine her looking like the portrait and not the sprite.

I think I like Wizardry 8 in that regard: there WERE no 3D models of the characters, all you had were their portraits.  But they talked.  There were something like 18 different personalities (per gender) that you could choose from, each one had their own take on hundreds of events and would spout them off once in a while (there was one that when you brought him back from being dead was like, "Why'd you do that?  I had 72 virgins all to myself!" there was a "hunter" personality for males that was perfect for a canine character, who I ended up using as the "sacrifice" to the demon queen--that is, he got to sleep with her--and his remark was, "For that one night, the hunter was the hunted."  Then there was another personality that I gave to a bard who talked in the third person, as if he was the narrator (there WAS an actual narrator too) that was absolutely historical).
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 66