Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 125157 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #375 on: March 01, 2010, 07:11:08 am »

I see nothing wrong with the GTA "genre" at all. A wide open sandbox with a main quest and a multitude of various side-questy thingies that can make you enjoy the usual "drive around killing stuff" in a new way. In an interesting genre twist, GTA:SA has a lot in common with... X3. X3 is just the same, if you really think about it. Arbitrary limits imposed by the main quest, wide open sandbox of space to fly around in, things to shoot, side missions to complete, even ships to "steal" - or rather, hijack. There's more to it, of course, but the only thing separating X3 from GTA is the "trading" part of its genre description.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 01, 2010, 08:18:56 am »

The GTA sidequests are ok, it's the "clones" I mentioned that have the sloppy ones. Guerilla had a few different ones, but they were generally attack, defend, destroy or race. Any of the above, and all beatable with one single strategy.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 01, 2010, 11:11:45 am »

completionists

*Evil grin*
Flash game I'm working on I've dubbed "Impossible Dungeon."  Completing the game will be easy to do (not trivial, but can be done without finding the vast array of secrets), but 100% completion will be borderline impossible (that is, mathematically possible, and no game logic will preclude it*).

Of course...it will be possible to get over 100% completion as well, but it would require playing the game more than once. ;)

Oh, and I'm actively working to keep it from being "Guide, Dang It possible" (that is, a guide would be of limited use, assuming someone managed to figure it all out their information would be borderline unhelpful to someone else).

My challenge will be making it fun for the casual player.

*By which I mean that doing X will prevent you from doing Y and doing Y prevents doing X.  Nothing like that.  There are a few "oops, its gone" spots, but not many.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 01, 2010, 12:44:56 pm »

The penultimate "un-guide-able" game would have to be like a very good roguelike. It'd have to simply adhere to some basic rules, but everything else in the game would have to be different every time it's played. Including plot. In a way, it'll have to be what DF Adventure mode is aimed to become.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 01, 2010, 02:11:30 pm »

The penultimate "un-guide-able" game would have to be like a very good roguelike. It'd have to simply adhere to some basic rules, but everything else in the game would have to be different every time it's played. Including plot. In a way, it'll have to be what DF Adventure mode is aimed to become.

Oh, no.  Not at all.  Because this is flash I have a very cruel way to make the game not-random from one play to another:
Every user has their "dungeon" randomized.  Once.  Ever.  Then its the same for every playthrough.

The the single user it will appear to be static and unchanging (this makes the game possible to learn, take notes for, and beat), but as soon as they compare to another user you'll notice the randomization: nothing will match up.

Currently there is a flaw making it possible to map things (at least in the "if you see this, then the puzzle is X" sense), but I don't mind.  I plan on randomizing that to a degree as well, but I think its no feasible with my current data structure.  It's also a minimum of twice as much dungeon design work.

I suspect that it will take a wiki and a few dozen dedicated players to actually map out the whole game for the 100% completion (the reward is the Infinity Sword...and another boss).

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 01, 2010, 02:17:49 pm »

The GTA sidequests are ok, it's the "clones" I mentioned that have the sloppy ones. Guerilla had a few different ones, but they were generally attack, defend, destroy or race. Any of the above, and all beatable with one single strategy.

It was still fun. That's the point.

The first and second GTA's aren't even similar to the current GTA's in any way.

Plus, it's unusual to list GTA 1 as a 'clone', since I don't think it's possible to copy yourself.

That's not true.  In every GTA game you play a criminal in a large mostly open environment with lots of cars you can steal, people you can kill, gangs you can piss off, and cops who can chase you.

Oh no! They stuck with a working formula and made it better. Oh, lets add this to the list of things that piss people off. I mean, its obviously a bad thing to stick with whats fun.

Either you're being sarcastic for no apparent reason or I have to ask you why on earth you would think this is a good idea. ???

Fenrif, you are also wrong.  Most Spiderman games were not really free roaming sand box style games.  Just Spiderman 2 for PS2 and a couple other recent ones.

Sarcastic for no reason, i was in a horrible mood when i posted that.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 01, 2010, 11:11:03 pm »

I can't compare my nethack or angband maps either ... How is randomizing once going to make it fundamentally different than randomizing it every time? 

If you just make the game gratuitously hard, like "you stepped in direction X, a trap slices your head off, you die, game over" then well, you've got a hard game no one will want to play.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2010, 11:29:44 pm »

Quote from: sproingie
I can't compare my nethack or angband maps either ... How is randomizing once going to make it fundamentally different than randomizing it every time? 

If you just make the game gratuitously hard, like "you stepped in direction X, a trap slices your head off, you die, game over" then well, you've got a hard game no one will want to play.

Like IWBTG?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 02, 2010, 01:28:11 am »

I just discovered IWBTG recently on youtube ... I always figured the people who actually get through more than three screens have actually programmed an AI bot to play it.  It makes Super Asshole Mario look like Desert Bus.  As a work of pastiche parody art tho, it's about the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 02, 2010, 01:31:13 am »

I made it all the way to Mother Brain in I Wanna Be The Guy.  I sort of cheated, I was on the easier difficulty with more save points, and I used tape to mark where the teleporting platform landed, although I didn't keep it the whole time.  After a while I gave up on the tape and memorized where the platform teleported.
Shoes...

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 02, 2010, 09:39:52 am »

This thread has given me high blood pressure from the rage. I can feel the blood pumping in my eyelid.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:16 am »

Nonono.  By randomizing it between users you can't make a walkthrough that helps anyone but yourself.  And the game isn't out to kill you, so its not IWBTG hard.

It's like The Tower of Druaga.

I just discovered IWBTG recently on youtube ... I always figured the people who actually get through more than three screens have actually programmed an AI bot to play it.  It makes Super Asshole Mario look like Desert Bus.  As a work of pastiche parody art tho, it's about the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

The first three screens are quite doable, even on Hard/Impossible mode.  Most people just play on Easy so they don't have to repeat everything all the time.  In the first three screens there's remarkably little that'll kill you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:18:49 am by Draco18s »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 04, 2010, 08:19:37 am »

I made it to the final boss (the guy) but was never able to beat him, as he is even more insanely hard then the other bosses
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 04, 2010, 08:37:42 am »

Supcom 2 has been looking really disappointing. I'll be really pissed off if it is what it looks like.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:54 am »

On the DRM subject, Assassin's creed 2 drm model was cracked in one day, silent hunter 5 also uses it. So I believe we will have a day-0 crack for Assassin's creed 2.

You know what's ironic? The crack allows you to play offline, ubisoft does not.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 66