Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Choose fortress location" improvements  (Read 655 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Choose fortress location" improvements
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:11:41 am »

These suggestions will become less useful the better the site finder becomes, but I figured I'd write them down while they're still in mind.

A minor suggestion: somehow make magma vents visible in the region pane.  I don't have any ideas on how, though.

A major suggestion: a mode that displays aggregate information for all biomes in the region cursor, at least for the layers, so you don't have to cycle through the different biomes to get an idea of everything the site has.  Something like:

Code: [Select]
Sedimentary: 37%
Metamorphic: 17%
Igneous extrusive: 20%
Igneous intrusive: 26%
Flux: 54%
Sand: 37%

For the non-soil layers it'd be cool if it included the biome heights in the calculations, so if there's sedimentary containing tall mountains right next to non-sedimentary containing forest, that the "Sedimentary: X%" gets a boost.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Choose fortress location" improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:39:13 am »

A minor suggestion: somehow make magma vents visible in the region pane.  I don't have any ideas on how, though.
You can actually control this already, at worldgen. If you create a new world with specific parameters, there's some settings you can give to whether various additional features are displayed on the detailed embark map.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Choose fortress location" improvements
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:40:03 am »

You can actually control this already, at worldgen. If you create a new world with specific parameters, there's some settings you can give to whether various additional features are displayed on the detailed embark map.

But that will also reveal hidden magma-pipes.  And it only does that on the local map, not the regional map.