Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sandbags  (Read 1910 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Sandbags
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:29:05 am »

Okay, sandbags. Specially built containers you fill with sand (which might take a while), can be placed very quickly (move in, put them down, move out), block arrows / bolts / fire (at least for a while), can be destroyed by any enemy, and slow down those moving over them. Effectively, quick to setup, easily destroyed fortifications which can be reused. They could also be emptied for their sand contents, allowing canny players to use them to store sand for glass industries.

They would add to the defendability of a fortress, allowing your melee troops to not die if a bowgoblin looks at them, and shielding civilians from stray fire. Human siegers could also set them up around their campfires to protect them from your marksdwarves.

Thoughts?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbags
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:08:28 pm »

What about using them as emergency fluid containment? Y'know, like sandbags are actually used in modern times?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:16:22 pm »

More ideas:

When constructing a sandbag, you can click multiple times, like a weapon trap; the limit is 7.

The constructed sandbag pile will block water which doesn't go over it's bag number (1/7 to completely block).

The sandbag pile is only walkable at 4/7 and below.

The sandbag pile only counts as fortification (can shoot through) between 3/7 and 5/7.

The sandbag pile in constructed in a single trip, no matter the number of bags. (I'm not too keen on this one).

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »

Sounds like a reasonably good idea. /signed. This could be a great addition whenever constructions being destroyable comes around (which I think is still happening at some point, right?)
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:25 pm »

Nice ideas, Thanshin.

Also, using them to soak up water would be interesting. However, with most sources of water being effectively infinite in volume, they would have to either block water entirely or soak up infinite amounts of it.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:36:03 pm »

they dont have to soack up water... more of block water.

like walls but way faster built...

Also anyone have any idea when stacks are going to be implimented (random off topic question but meh)
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:37 pm »

like walls but way faster built...

I hate to point this out, but currently walls are built near-instantaneously.  Fortifications are, too.  The only deciding factor in work speed is the distance between the rock and the location, and how quickly an available mason can get there.  They don't really add much in the way of blocking water, because why wouldn't you just build a wall since DF makes it so easy?

I don't see sandbags as being useful in Fortress mode, but that's not to say they're worthless.  Of the uses listed, only two really stand out for me.  One is the idea of specifying the height of the sandbags to allow water to flow over it only if it's a certain height - well, great, but why don't we do that with walls?  The other is that walls and fortifications take a painfully long time to deconstruct, whereas sandbags would not.

Fortunately, sandbags could become very useful in the ways described either for adventurers, or when we're allowed to take an army off site and wage wars away from home.  Bags of sand are easier to carry than boulders, and you're unlikely to bring masons in your army to construct defensive walls for you.  For this to work, you need to allow military units to carry and place the sandbags - I don't know if you want to allow everyone to do it, or specify a support class that could perform this and other tasks for you on the battlefield.

Honestly, I was against this idea when I first read it because I didn't see the need for a variation on a wall or a fortification, but as I talked myself through it I came around.  Consider me a supporter now.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 11:09:32 pm »

it would give sandbags an even greater advantage if they were allowed to constructed in already waterfilled tiles.
The great game of Warlocks!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:50:46 am »

i think the can also help when things like more advanced  wall building is in. there have been lots of thread on bricks, ruble walls, mortar etc. i think if we get those sandbags would be a nice addition. current build speed is a balance issue, and should be considered just a place holder for now.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 01:39:46 am »

Make them unconstructible if DAMP, only destructible. You don't get your sand back from it when it's destroyed.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 03:40:34 am »

Let them pile as constructed when dropped down a shaft.

So you can channel a line over a flow, drop six or seven sandbags on each cell along its width to reduce the flow to a trickle, and then masons can go down and build proper walls.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 03:37:46 am »

While convenient, such a mechanic would make rivers act oddly. That is to say, they'd magically stop flowing altogether when dammed instead of flowing over or around the dam

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 02:35:03 pm »

Hmmm some time ago i have seen a vid where sandbags (or rather soil-bags) are used for planting. especally in places with high erosion or our beloved stonetowers they could be used as selfrotting plant-pots. After the bag is rottet the roots of the plant hold the sand/soil.

Sandbags are too a good way to prevent damage from siegeweapons and would be nice for farming since you could flood a field with 1/7 water (given that you have some kind of valve) so you dont need to flood it entirely. Outdoors and especally from a esthetical point of view they would be nice.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 03:13:00 am »

I think sand bags would be a good addition to df.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:59:47 am »

^ Nice post.

Ooh, using sandbags as portable soil. That would make farming much easier to set up, if you could drag sand from one side of the map (which has three aquifers and two giant eagles) to the non-soil areas (which is chock-full of Limonite and has nothing more threatening than mountain goats).
Pages: [1] 2