Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tin Soldiers  (Read 2010 times)

I27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tin Soldiers
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:08:00 pm »

This was a post on a different forum that I visit:

quote:
Shanty:

What we need is a House Olon noble or something that enables mechanics to make metal mechanisms at forges and activates a new mechanics-task: create construct! Massive living statues that act largely like dwarves (can be set to tasks, drafted to the military), except they work tirelessly with no need for food or sleep. Their skill in just about everything can never increase and is proportional to the mechanics skill of their creators and their material.
Plus, the less skilled the mechanic who created them, the more likely they are to bust a gear and malfunction (not unlike the effects of a failed Fey Mood: murderous beserker rage, running around making grinding noises) or stop working all together.

Of course, they'll be there years and years after the fort has been abandoned. Imagine looting your old fort and meeting that masterwork adamantium colossus you thought would speed up syrup production while allowing the farmers more time in the kitchen, except now he's lost a few nuts and bolts and wants to take you to the farmer's workshop to (l)process to barrel.
Or maybe the five iron men you made for guarding the front gate against goblins are still trudging up and down out there, ten years after the fortress was abandoned, and unlikely to look kindly on nosy adventurers.

This is my own contribution to the idea:

quote:
My own story:

The dwarven adventurer Mebzuth Niltan finds himself injured and surrounded on a narrow bridge crossing a deep chasm in an ancient abandonned fortress. As the batmen are clossing in, he fears this is his end. In his despair, he does not hear the solf tick-tick-tick-tick coming from the dark, but he soon cannot ignore the nearing clanging of sheet metal scraping against sheet metal.

He turns his head just in time to spot them coming out from the dark across the bridge. It is a trio of mechanical golems! Tin dolls half a meter high, they're faces are molded in the facade of an smiling dwarf. Covered with the rust of countless years, they dutifully march forward on graceless legs.

The batmen step back, unsure of this new threat. The Mebzuth stares in wonder as each machine raises a hand toward the batmen. From the palm of each tin hand fires a single bolt, two of which sink into the chest of an unwary batman, while the third slams harmlessly against a stone pillar.

As soon as his comrad fell, another batman ran toward the golems. He got hardly four strides before a second volley of bolts peirced his shoulder and wing, and in his pain he tumbles over the ledge. The remaining batman soon flee.

Mebzuth Niltan watches silently as the miniture soldiers turn and retreat back into the deeper depths. He stares curiously at a small iron bolt, lying at the base of a pillar.

This is just yet another idea for a useless bloat that would be awesome.  :)

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tin Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:43:00 am »

I wouldnt care to take on A pack of Iron/Adamantine Golems.

It would be interesting, though.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

I like the idea of golems (that's what they are, after all) still being around at an abandoned site.

I do not like the idea that you can mass-produce a workforce.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

Honestly, I think this is too modern, even for dwarves.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »

Dwarven automata are a somewhat frequent element in some forms of "catch-all" fantasy, but if anything they should be reserved for artifact status only... and should be somewhat fragile (modern-day robots are also somewhat fragile, and we have titanium).
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:19:00 am »

Or they would require massive ammounts of materials and take a long time to build/maintain

1 bar and 1 mechanic for each "golem part"
2 bar and 1 mechanic for each "automaton part"
5 bars and 3 mechanics for each "collosus part"

depending on what they are suposed to do constructs can have different body types

biped lower body requires 5 parts
quatroped lower body requires 7 parts and 1 additional mechanism
2 arm upper body requires 5 parts
4 arm upper body requires 7 parts and 1 additional mechanism

at the cost of 1 extra mechanism each, a weapon can be attached to each arm

in case of crossbows, a bin of ammo(shared for all weapons) can also be attached with another mechanism

collossi can fire ballista bolts as well, but this greatly slows them down

quatroped constructs are more surefooted then  biped ones but require longer maintainance

code:

Work speed compared to unskilled dwarves(before materials)
golem: 1
automaton: 1.50
collosus: 5 but cannot do anything other then mining

Fight quality compared to unskilled dwarves(before materials)
golem: 1.5
automaton: 2
collosus: 5

the quality of each construct is determined of the average of each of its components(normal systems apply)

every year constructs need to be maintained, if this is skipped too often, they may break or go insane

note: all values are compared to UNSKILLED dwarves, a legandary miner still digs at the same speed as a collosus

4 armed constructs can carry more items and have more weapons attached to them

also its possible to replace weapons at a mechanics workshops

to those thinking this is overpowered, a collosus might be a walking artillery battery but he moves like a crippled dwarf hauling a floodgate

been awake for 72 hours now so forgive me my bad spelling and grammer

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 04:46:00 am »

To not make a total replacement for your dwarves as a workforce - obey them to the energy conservation law. So they would need to consume coal or tallow once in a while like dwarves eating food. No fuel - no work.  :)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:52:00 am »

dwarves can already melt ore with their willpower alone, whats wrong with golems that dont require fuel?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

How about the golems needing maintenance by a mechanic every year. The mechanic would take the golem back to a mechanics workshop and claim it.They would then take one set of mechanisms and use them to repair the golem.
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

New Idea for Golems:

They start as iron statues then in a golem workshop, they are made into golems using mechanisms, catch tho, only usable for defence,They cannot move so can only attack adjacent squares, admittedly they should therefore hit like a ton of bricks.

[edit] They should also use up a weapon (has to be iron) t omake them, they also do not need maintainance (except if damaged) or sustenance

[ April 06, 2007: Message edited by: 4bh0r53n ]

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Black Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »

quote:
They cannot move so can only attack adjacent squares, admittedly they should therefore hit like a ton of bricks.

Isn't that what weapons traps already do?

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

Yeah, except now you can have your favorite ancestor laying the smackdown on raids from the Pits!
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »

I think this is kind of cheesy in a bad way, and the only way I can imagine it working decently would be for it to happen ultra-rarely as an artifact.  And then to eliminate further hokey 'wow golems' stuff, it'd just act like a normal dwarf for the most part.   Perhaps a 'mechanical' template like zombies would be in order.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 11:08:00 pm »

We need more things to do with mechanics, but this isn't it.

Tapper12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 05:36:00 am »

Yeah. Mechanical golems doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the technology in the game.

My suggestion would be that once Alchemy is in you should be able to mix a bunch of extracts from very rare herbs and creatures to create a elixir that would be used to animate a masterwork/artifact statue into a golem.

This way you'd need to send of armies or caravans to far off locations just to gather the reagents needed. This would make sure you can't mass produce super tough un-aging workers/soldiers.

Pages: [1] 2