Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 9: Game has begun. Link to game on last post.  (Read 18465 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 9: Supported by Viewers Like YOU! (Signups)
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2010, 01:21:15 am »

Vector, you may have noticed I take an approach you like. I keep the advice semi-general and force the players to make the important decisions; my advice is more theory and how to treat things in a more general manner. I also refuse to name players for them unless I'm making an example.

I'm not describing it well, but just look at a quicktopic from when I IC'd and you'll get the idea.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:22 am »

Vector, you may have noticed I take an approach you like. I keep the advice semi-general and force the players to make the important decisions; my advice is more theory and how to treat things in a more general manner. I also refuse to name players for them unless I'm making an example.

Yes, your approach is good.  I am noticing that mine works quite well for some players and quite poorly for others; my general attempt is to teach them to make clarifying observations and act on them, though that seems to not be working so well for many ._.

If we're keeping the advice so minimal, though, there is no point whatsoever in giving each player a mentor.  Again: I'm doing it wrong, but the suggested "correction" is going to make it even worse.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2010, 10:49:33 am »

I want IN!

I need to improve my skills on this.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:59 pm »

Wait, I know I'm running the other Mafia, but can I participate in this one?
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 08:47:14 pm »

Probably... ?  I think you've finished a good handful of games, though.  That might disqualify you.

(Though honestly, I think you'd be fine).

Well, anyway.  Come on in, the water's fine~
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:09:59 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2010, 10:27:41 pm »

If you are indeed going to have a mentor program, I think I can help out.

But like Vector said, ICs can be a hindrance aswell as an asset. I think the best way to avoid that is to make the mentors/ICs aware of the effect they have on the new players. We should instead be teaching the ICs how to do their jobs correctly, rather than changing the number present.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31:44 pm »

I think I'm a newb still. No, I know I'm a newb still. I haven't really learned all that much.

So if I can, In.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 01:58:17 am »

If you are indeed going to have a mentor program, I think I can help out.

But like Vector said, ICs can be a hindrance aswell as an asset. I think the best way to avoid that is to make the mentors/ICs aware of the effect they have on the new players. We should instead be teaching the ICs how to do their jobs correctly, rather than changing the number present.

I agree with you 100%, and I think you'd do a good job.  Will you come be the town IC?

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 02:37:51 am »

What about EK?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 02:44:55 am »

What about EK?

Crap, I forgot.  Sorry, then... I'll have to retract my request   :-[

In that case, we've got Pandarsenic and ExKirby for the ICs, with the hope that both will take a relatively hands-off approach.  That all right with both of you, dudes?

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:28 am »

The 'N Rank' rule isn't a requirement but a mark for instant-in.  If you aren't N ranked, it'll be taken on a case by case basis, but chances are, you'll get in.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 02:33:40 am »

All right, I've come up with most of the flavor.  Please note that I am generating roles specifically to screw with those of you who like looking for patterns and massclaiming to out scum based on fluff role PMs.  I can guarantee you with almost 100% certainty that it will explode in your face.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2010, 11:46:15 am »

Porly ritten flayver mafea?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2010, 11:50:02 am »

All right, I've come up with most of the flavor.  Please note that I am generating roles specifically to screw with those of you who like looking for patterns and massclaiming to out scum based on fluff role PMs.  I can guarantee you with almost 100% certainty that it will explode in your face.
The fact you're telling us this ensures that it will succeed.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2010, 01:57:50 pm »

Damn, that got us to win the last BM.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11