Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Fortress  (Read 3798 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Kobold Fortress
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:28:58 pm »

I'm trying to set up a functional Kobold society. Right now, my biggest problem is that my Kobold digger cannot hold his pickaxe. He will use it to mine, but after taking down the last sand wall will drop it and then spend eternity trying to pick it up over and over again until it gets hungry or thirsty.

Any idea whats up with this?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:34:30 pm »

Go to the military screen and tell him to use two hands (#:1 needs to be changed to #:2 or whatever it is that shows up). This is supposedly the setting that controls whether a single dwarf (or kobold, in this case) uses one weapon or two, but in reality it controls how many hands the civver will use to hold their weapon(s).

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:41:57 pm »

You're brilliant. Poor thing was too scrawny to carry the pickaxe. :(

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:57:18 pm »

2 hands or make a new item with a usable size. a total conversion mod already exists for kobolds if you want it.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27088.0

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:21:24 pm »

Another problem: I got some migrants (really startled me, too. I figured I was on my own.) and I figured I could make one of them a bowkobold to protect the river from carp. To my great satisfaction, the Kobold produced a bow (not a crossbow) at the Bowyer's shop. However: The Military screen only has "Cbw" and apparently that will not allow my Markskobold to pick up the Catfish Bone Bow that was made for him. Is there any way around this?

Edit: I'm probably going to have to modify the Kobold entity to use Crossbows and Bolts instead of Bows and Arrows as the fortress mode is hardcoded to handle x-bow users.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:28:23 pm by Iban »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 12:09:29 am »

Or you change the skill used by Bows in the item_weapon file from [RANGED:BOW:ARROW] to [RANGED:CROSSBOW:ARROW] (I don't think that is a regen, but I'm sure that will need a .../data/objects/ file delete).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:31:32 am »

I'd suggest not to tweak kobolds from the start but to use the Kobold Camp mod. It's really cool and has most features fleshed out with time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository