Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [LISP:X]  (Read 706 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
[LISP:X]
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:55:14 pm »

I was wondering why we have a lisp tag (that's not even a true lisp, more of a hiss) which is so inflexible as to only permit one speech variation. It seemed odd to permit hissssssing snakemen to speak as they do, but not purrrrrrring felines.

Thus, I was thinking of a new tag, [liSP:X], to replace the current [liSP], where X is the letter to be lengthened (hopefully, it will not actually be the letter x, as that would be dumb and... well... dumb). This would permit hissssing snakemen and purrrrring felines, as well as open up many other possibilities (wolfmen hooooooooowling?).
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [LISP:X]
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:02:55 pm »

i see you split the topics up...

I share my support here aswell.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:04:00 pm »

I had a more involved idea for this sort of thing, and I can't remember why I didn't post it when I had it all written out. Basically, the idea was that the game would apply some sort of "filter" to any and all instances of a certain string spoken by a creature. Example:

[ACCENT_SPEECH:s:MULTIPLY:5:10]

Replaces any instance of "s" that the creature speaks with 5 to 10 "s"s.

"Speak" becomes anything between "Ssssspeak" and "Sssssssssspeak"

[ACCENT_SPEECH:s:REPLACE:a]

Replaces any and all instances of "s" that the creature speaks with "a"s.

"Speak" becomes "Apeak". Not a great example, but I'm sure you can see how this could be used (to create proper lisps, for example).

In this way, you'd be able to create entire dialects for certain creatures:

[ACCENT_SPEECH:city:REPLACE:fortress]

Bingo, the creature now calls cities fortresses.

There isn't much use for this sort of detail at the moment, but there will be in the future. There were probably a couple of things I thought of before which I didn't remember, but I'll have to do without those.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:34 pm »

I'll add that frogmen could croak or chirp, with males having deep booming voices, or maybe females would simply be mute?

Antmen might chitter, with maybe repetitive "chchch" or "kakaka" sounds showing up in their speach.
For they would be your masters.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:48:14 pm »

Wow, I like your ideas, people.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »

[ACCENT_SPEECH:s:REPLACE:a]

Replaces any and all instances of "s" that the creature speaks with "a"s.

"Speak" becomes "Apeak". Not a great example, but I'm sure you can see how this could be used (to create proper lisps, for example).

In this way, you'd be able to create entire dialects for certain creatures:

Hehe...
ill probably create a race that instead of the [utternce] tags(how you cant speak to them, you really should be able to but just not understand what the heck theyre saying) speak in codes.. so basically every letter is another.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:33:02 pm »

Now I want to create a species of squidmen who replace hours with "ahrns", minutes with "microns", and seconds with "missapfiffi".
For they would be your masters.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:32:40 pm »

I had a more involved idea for this sort of thing, and I can't remember why I didn't post it when I had it all written out. Basically, the idea was that the game would apply some sort of "filter" to any and all instances of a certain string spoken by a creature. Example:

[ACCENT_SPEECH:s:MULTIPLY:5:10]

Replaces any instance of "s" that the creature speaks with 5 to 10 "s"s.

"Speak" becomes anything between "Ssssspeak" and "Sssssssssspeak"

Though you probably won't want every instance of 'S' multiplied in that way. Certain sounds, already quite sibilant, would just be absurdly long. Successful could become Sssssuccessssssssssssssssssssful, for instance (the 'ss' replaced with 20 characters, 10 for each instance of 's'). I'd guess either you can allow it, trusting modders to keep it from being excessive (which they can manage no matter how you work it) or you can set up some kind of priority system. Initial definitions take precedence, so you'd have one with ss:multiple:5:10, and any instances that don't match that criteria are tested for the broader s:multiple:5:10.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:34:43 pm by Niveras »