Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The use of steam within dwarf fortress  (Read 15704 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The use of steam within dwarf fortress
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 08:35:45 am »

It's not electricity, it's mechanical motion. Also, I personally (and many others) consider water reactors an exploit, as they somehow produce more power than they take to run...
A magma or fuel-powered steam engine I'd be fine with.
(I also wish pumps weren't quite so powerful... Screw pumps are very very very very slow in real life)

In the next version we will also have powered boosters for minecarts, which will make two uses :)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 09:11:10 am »

I suggest reading up on the History of the Steam Engine.  DF is intended to have a fantasy / medieval setting, with technology no higher than around 1400 AD European.  This is a date picked to be pre-Renaissance; in particular, it's well prior to moveable type, to Leonardo da Vinci and other Renaissance-era gadgeteers, and to practical use of steam; and only barely into the early use of gunpowder (although IIRC Toady One has generally ruled that out; militarily, the setting is probably closer to a 1250-1350 feel). 

Note that while various toy and one-off craft examples were created by legendary artisans, the first vaguely useful application for steam (turning a spit for roasting meat) was not until around 1550, and the first arguably practical industrial use was not until around 1700.  This is with an enormously larger pool of talented people with strong incentives for improvements. 

I'm not against steampunk in general, but it's completely out of context for DF's feel and setting; and given how many systems actually present and important for simulating a medieval economy and society Toady One still needs to work on, I think that steam power discussions in the main forums or requests to support steam physics are not terribly helpful. 

(As an amusing side note, for many industrial uses such as weaving the early steam engines were considered to produce low-quality power, so were used to pump water up to supplement the flow of waterwheels which provided the actual power used.  Roughly simulating this should be possible with some light modding already; a custom magma workshop requiring a metal barrel that you place next to each wheel of a pumped water reactor would give something that looks and acts close enough to early steam for simple purposes.) 

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 06:03:48 pm »

Well, the steam engine was invented to pump water out of mines.

I could see Humans not having them, but it's reasonable for dwarves to be a centuries ahead in mining technology.

i.e. no overland railroads, but minecarts on tracks.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 06:17:16 pm »

I don't really understand why everyone hates steampunk.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 10:10:42 pm »

Where did you get that from? I just think people wants DF to have a coherent historical feel. Even if I would love to have dwarves like those of Arcanum.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 12:36:54 am »

Where did you get that from? I just think people wants DF to have a coherent historical feel. Even if I would love to have dwarves like those of Arcanum.

Nobody's asking for this to be included in vanilla DF, at least not so far as I can tell. All we really need is a minor extension of what's already planned for the mechanics/traps overhaul, so that those of us who really want steampunk can do the legwork ourselves.

Also, not everything featuring steam-powered machinery counts as steampunk. I for one don't plan to mod in anything that wouldn't have been wholly plausible for the first half of the 19th century.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 12:50:30 am »

I just want scalding steam to be produced when you add water to magma is all :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:20 am »

A necro conversation that's actually progressing. How odd. Anyway...

I'd quite like for steam to play a role, it seems like it could be a key part of a larger expansion of mechanical elements. I've often toyed with the idea of having the mechanical equivalent of a power grid running through my whole fortress, but there are obvious issues: Firstly, there's nothing useful for that power to do, and second, the only way to generate enough power to run it would be to either have a totally obnoxious number of windmills or use magical trans-newtonian water reactors, which are stupid. Pressurized steam pipes seem like a generally better way of transmitting power over a distance than a huge spinning axle, though I can't really say I know exactly what I'd use the power for. Maybe every (or nearly every) workshop could have a mechanized version that requires power but works better. Or faster. Dunno.

I tend to shy away from historical realism, of course. Realism in the sense of modeling battle damage is great, but I don't see what we gain by pretending that Dwarves existed in late-medieval Europe and trying to suppose what technologies they might or might not have had. Dwarves are clever and industrious: in the areas in which they excel, such as metalworking and mechanics, I think it's better to lean a bit towards fantasy and away from medieval simulation.

And it's incredibly silly to bring up "Steampunk" in this context. As some of the older posts said, proper steampunk is about goggles, tophats, british accents, and occasionally giant fighting brass robots. A rational application of steam to mechanical purposes is as much steampunk as the presence of vampires makes DF into Twilight.

This thread is very carefully treading the line between a suggestion, a mod and a discussion. 

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:44 am »

(I also wish pumps weren't quite so powerful... Screw pumps are very very very very slow in real life)

No no, you get it wrong. pumps are slow when humans do it, but dwarves can pump and screw much faster
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 02:07:04 am »

...dwarves can pump and screw much faster
And that's why your fortress is overrun with children!

A bit obvious, but I couldn't resist.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 05:03:14 am »

That's the thing I don't understand. I don't think we had things like dwarves and goblins in medieval ages.

And we are going to have spells other than necromancy eventually.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 05:09:12 am »

That's the thing I don't understand. I don't think we had things like dwarves and goblins in medieval ages.

And we are going to have spells other than necromancy eventually.

It's a common trope for technology to adhere to our ideas of history whilst the rest of the game spirals into madness. It's best not to care. In a game as modabble as DF I'm sure someone will add in these kind of things as soon as we get moving fortress parts or w/e technical requirements we're missing right now.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 05:20:56 am »

I find magic worse than that and not dwarfy at all.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 06:05:29 am »

It's a common trope for technology to adhere to our ideas of history whilst the rest of the game spirals into madness. It's best not to care. In a game as modabble as DF I'm sure someone will add in these kind of things as soon as we get moving fortress parts or w/e technical requirements we're missing right now.

In fairness, there weren't a lot of guns around DF's stated historical period of circa 1400AD, and the ones that were in existence were only a marginal overall improvement on bows or catapults. That's the main reason I skipped over about two hundred and fifty years of weapons technology development with my Black Powder Firearms mod.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:36 am »

I find magic worse than that and not dwarfy at all.

Even if magic is opposed to science, once we have useful spells, they will forever go hand in hand with !!SCIENCE!!.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4