Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't they drown? Pit/Pond question  (Read 2254 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't they drown? Pit/Pond question
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:38:54 am »

I figured out a great way to clear my cages of orcs/goblins etc.  I build the cages around a pit with a hatch over it.  The dwarves never see the baddies in the pit so it always works.

Problem is I have no idea how to kill the 30+ invaders I have in there.  I switched the information from pit to pond and they filled it to 6/7 water but...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They refuse to drown!

They are in a one tile chamber with one closed flood gate on one side.  *Shrug* whats going on?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't they drown? Pit/Pond question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:41:46 am »

They're swimming. Leave them in there long enough and they'll be LEGENDARY SWIMMERS! :D

I guess you could try caving them in to kill them... or replace water with magma.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:53:48 am »

Yea takes water at least 2 zlevels deep to drown something reliably without a ceiling.  Animals usually can swim naturally, and everything else can often learn how to in the amount of time it takes to fill a pond with a bucket brigade. P.S. Even with a ceiling bucket brigades usually only fill to 6/7.  Ceilings over water won't drown anything unless it's 7/7 water.

Might be able to dig a ramp into the bottom of the pool and then add more water.  But that puts a miner at risk.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:55:39 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:55:52 am »

That's bad man, if they become legendary swimmers they'll be ultramighty and stuff, if they escape they'll tear your fortress apart.
Shoes...

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:01 pm »

Damn! Well good thing I'm fixing the situation.  I built a wall around another tile to the right of the floodgate and installed an upward spike.

... when I lowered the floodgate (giving them three  spaces to exist in) they began to fight!

There's goblins and kobolds and orcs in there (the orcs will win no doubt)

I'll give them a few days before putting those spears on repeat.

(I have no idea why they didn't fight before.  I threw a wardog in there and it died fast but I guess they didn't want to kill each other until they had some more room)

Edit: scratch that they may be very slowly tearing apart the horse I put in there (that they had left alone before)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:13:47 pm by Vicid »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:33 pm »

You can shove all the goblins and orcs (You removed [trAPAVOID]?) into a single cage, then exterminate them at your leisure.

If you place the cage directly next to your pit, which is high enough from the landing zone, you can mass drop them with little risk of an escape. Or you can just destroy the cage, but you'll lose out on all the bones.

Keep in mind that having several hundred creatures in full battle gear in a single cage will make it very heavy. So "d"ump their equipment. Even then it might take a dwarf a long time to move it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:17:42 pm by Blaze »

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 12:42:48 pm »

How do I put multiple things in one cage?

Yes I turned off trap-avoid.  I will turn it off when I stop being a sissy.... maybe.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:57:43 pm »

Turn the cage into a building (b --> j; hit "x" so you can choose exactly which cage to place), then Assign all the other creatures to it. Be aware that there is a risk of the creature escaping while being transported, so either keep the transport distance short or post your military in the area... or both.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 12:58:37 pm »

Thiefs usually escape, while I recall seeing other creatures escaping only if the dwarf transfering them decided to go eating/drinking/sleeping.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 02:16:57 pm »

That's bad man, if they become legendary swimmers they'll be ultramighty and stuff, if they escape they'll tear your fortress apart.

Some of the stuff in this game is just messed up.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 05:39:55 pm »

who doesnt want to make the kobolds ultra mighty and tough before sending them back to their homes?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:44:54 pm »

Invaders In A Pit is a game all marksdwarves love to play.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Laskuraska

• Bay Watcher
  • It's hards to be in charge of alls dem dorfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 06:33:11 pm »

Invaders In A Pit is a game all marksdwarves love to play.

Yeah! The only time my marksdwarves don't like to play "invaders in a pit" is when a crossbowman gets in there.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »

I recruited a hunter and he dealt with the survivors.  Thanks for the info everyone.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:54:15 pm by Vicid »