Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plans for Custom Workshops  (Read 1592 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plans for Custom Workshops
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »

Currently, my mod contains two new stone layers - 'landfill' and 'debris'.
Nice.  I don't think that would be incredibly appropriate for vanilla style DF unless you can designate these layers to occur only around ruins, but I'm sure it could be useful for projects like the fallout mod.  However, this suggestion reminds me that fossils will be easier here.  You can define various fossils as rare rocks which can be processed to make fossilized bones for decorations or statues.  Also, some other stones such as conglomerate and shale could be processed to produce fossilized shells.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:47:27 pm by Zantan »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »

Currently, my mod contains two new stone layers - 'landfill' and 'debris'.
Nice.  I don't think that would be incredibly appropriate for vanilla style DF unless you can designate these layers to occur only around ruins, but I'm sure it could be useful for projects like the fallout mod. 

It's a post-apocalyptic total conversion mod - it'd be totally out of place in standard DF, I agree.
Also known as Zuhayr.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 04:00:55 am »

I love my magma forges. So I had an idea to create magma extraction facilities which would provide magma bins.

That would be useful, though I'm not sure whether that would be very realistic or if the game would support that.  If custom workshops can produce magma, you could make a magma powered workshop that turns several stones and a magma safe box into a magma container, which can be used at another workshop to make some magma.  It would be tough to make caravans offer them in trade...maybe it could be a seedless noncookable plant that only grows on mountains?

The way I was thinking it, the magma extraction facility would be a workshop that needs to be placed over magma, and makes a magma safe box into a "magma bin" (which raw-wise is just a craft or something). On the other end, you use your stones and blocks, plus a magma bin to create a magma bin forge. This workshop allows you to forge metal items without the need for coal or magma.

The only place there would actually be magma involved, code-wise, would be in the fact that the original workshop needs to be built above magma. And I seem to remember it has been confirmed that there will be a tag for that.

The above might be a bit too easy, and I'm considering that I might need to either make the process magical somehow (maybe the magma bin also requires fire imp bones), or maybe the bin gets used up, making it, in essence, super-coal.
Pages: 1 [2]