Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multiple tile creatures  (Read 3099 times)

jonnym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple tile creatures
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

This is a question.. well a suggestion of a question.. or the likes

Would it be possible for larger creatures to take up 2 or more tiles but still acting as one creature and contain different parts for instance a dragon having its head in one tile and its upper body in an neighboring tile etc

The next bit is a bit confusing  !!disregard it even I dont like it much!!

Legs could then be attatched to the areas responsible but the dragon could not move like a normal creature in df it would have to bring its legs in to a adjecant tiles and bring its attatched limbs forward to repeat the process
limbs however could not and should not be able to move in to a tile that is not adjecant to the said parts.

I think that if this was considered then it would create interesting game mechanics, these large creatures may get stuck by or in small corridors but should be alot more powerful then regular forms of the creatures, and this is not limited to beastial creatures, giants could be made into 3 tile wide humaniods with legs lower+upper body and head in the middle tile and arms in the other tiles.

I do understand that this is asking a hell of alot i am not asking for it to be made but for it to be thought about and brewed to create a fine dwarfen beverage

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple tile creatures
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »

I think this is in for development, but much later on.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

jonnym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

damn that was quick

i do hope so   ;)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

Wagons (The ones that traders use, not the stationary one your dwarves start with) are the only multi-tile creature in the game. However, they do work almost perfectly, so I can see this being applied to the larger "real" creatures, at some point.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:27:25 am by penguinofhonor »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »

One that will make its way into your fort, and start twisting through the corridors and gobbling up your dwarves like one of those old snake games.

Cool, certainly.  But probably a long way off.  Basic multi-tile creature (always keeping the same position relative to other body tiles) will most likely pop up first, so we can content ourselves with that thought.

This of course means that dragons will simply have to sit in front of the door and poke their head in to smoke out the dwarves, as they will be too large to actually fit into the corridor.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

Ballista arrows also show up on multiple tiles, albeit they technically only take up the middle tile if you look at them with "k."
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:27:17 am by penguinofhonor »

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>One that will make its way into your fort, and start twisting through the corridors and gobbling up your dwarves like one of those old snake games.</STRONG>

And you trick it into crashing into a wall and it dies!

Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

Also, trying to adventure as one causes some rather interesting instant-death messages informing you that you have been scuttled due to your uselessness.

Hoo boy....  Just got an image of modding in the ability to adventure as a multi-tile dragon, thus allowing you to cause even more imposing acts of destruction upon village playgrounds.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

See the Incursion Roguelike game for how to do "generic" larger creatures...
code:

+++
+E+
+++

+++++
+++++
++E++
+++++
+++++

etc.  Incursion, I think, went up to 25 +'s wide

TheNoseKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 06:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>And then we'll have bendy, long, giant snakes. Neat-o.</STRONG>

Indiúna Jönes likes gold, silver, rare gems, artifacts, killing Nazi-goblins, whips, fedoras, and dogs for their loyalty. He absolutely detests snakes.
He can handle stress. He enjoys being alone. He has a profound understanding of archeology. He has a sense of duty. He often makes things up as he goes along. He needs adventure to get himself through the day. He likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.
I>Anyone who knows you knows you''re nosey!
Anyone who knows you knows you''re nosier!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

Holy cats.  While Incursion doesn't have anything LIKE the scale of Dwarf Fortress, it sure has about the same difficulty (if not harder).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Holy cats.  While Incursion doesn't have anything LIKE the scale of Dwarf Fortress, it sure has about the same difficulty (if not harder).</STRONG>

It's all the half-demon graveborn undead orc skeleton archer warrior dwarf celestials wandering around on the first dungeon level.

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

Another voice for this. My desert, it requires sandworms. XD The ultimate in fortress defense, mwahaha.
Pages: [1] 2