Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better Dwarf Self-preservation skills  (Read 796 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better Dwarf Self-preservation skills
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »

Here's a scenario,
A vile force of darkness has arrived!
OH SH**!GOBLINS!

Before this update
Your carpenter (here's a name, Uristmctestbait) goes outside to cut some trees down and you forget "Dwarves stay inside" is not on.He runs out to the woods and start hacking down a tree minding his own buisiness,When out of nowhere a goblin jumps a corner and fires a bolt through his heart
Uristmctestbait has been shot and killed!
After this update
You yet again forget about "Dwarves stay inside" and Uristmctestbait goes to cut down a tree.With the update though, He knows that there are an army of bloodthirsty monsters and beak dogs, so he sets his own predetermines "restricted zone" that prohibits everything in that zone (Around the horde of course) And instead of noticing the enemy as soon as they are in firing distance, he is constantly tracking the hostile gobbos and will find a new place to go when they get about 50 tiles away.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better Dwarf Self-preservation skills
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:58:27 pm »

And here I thought it was going to be about...

a) a cask of amontillado (dwarf walling himself in and starving)
b) looney-toons plank sawing (stand on the unsupported side to start channeling/deconstructing)
c) dig UP! (under trees or ramping in such a way they drop the roof on their head)

In any case, I whole-heartedly support your suggestion of non-military dwarves trying to be elsewhere when sieges show up.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:32 pm »

And here I thought it was going to be about...

a) a cask of amontillado (dwarf walling himself in and starving)
b) looney-toons plank sawing (stand on the unsupported side to start channeling/deconstructing)
c) dig UP! (under trees or ramping in such a way they drop the roof on their head)

In any case, I whole-heartedly support your suggestion of non-military dwarves trying to be elsewhere when sieges show up.
You wouldn't believe how many times I recieve woodcutter death messages.

Atleast hunters have the brains to shoot back.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:33:26 am »

You wouldn't believe how many times I recieve woodcutter death messages.

Atleast hunters have the brains to shoot back.

My woodcutter is a Hunter.

It works surprisingly well until I remember it doesn't really work that well.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:53:24 am »

Problems I have.

One: I tell dwarf to channel me a skylight. He stands in the middle and works from the edges first, like a total retard.

Two: Dwarves. And fire. You know the deal there.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:40:20 am »

Some dwarfs are going to go out of their way to avoid danger (not that I've met any...).

I think personality should play a part in this, however.

Suppose there might also be the case of a dwarf that has some kind of
weapon skill (woodcutter is enough), having the personality to simply grab his axe and start swinging at the nearest gobbo?

Or a dwarf might get possessive of her shop, grab a cleaver, and start a little proactive butchering. She might not venture far from the shop, but any tasty trolls that come too close are gonna have a fight.

Dwarfs with friends in the military, or simply a keen sense of "T'eh cannah taeke ma lande!" might also jump into battle without specific orders to do so.

Dealing with this kind of thing might require a little careful introspection and planning, cross-training, or maybe even some Noble interaction--putting those dufuses to work actually keeping the people under their supposed "care" out of the way of physical harm (which would be interesting, since we might see both military and non-military leaders/Nobles having distinctively separate, but still very useful, roles in times of trouble.). 
For they would be your masters.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:01:17 am »

It might be helpful if you read about Toady's new burrows system and alert system. I'm not very good with links, but you can find it in the current development section of the main DF page. In order to save you some time, I'll tell you a little about it.

Keep in mind that all of this is in the new version, not the current one.
"Dwarves stay inside" no longer exists. Instead, your dwarves have a series of alerts that give them pre-set (by you) orders the moment you activate the alert.
Dwarves now have the "burrows" system, which allows a player to designate their work area (among other things). This should make protecting your workers immensely easier.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 08:38:46 am »

Here's a scenario,
A vile force of darkness has arrived!
OH SH**!GOBLINS!

Before this update
Your carpenter (here's a name, Uristmctestbait) goes outside to cut some trees down and you forget "Dwarves stay inside" is not on.He runs out to the woods and start hacking down a tree minding his own buisiness,When out of nowhere a goblin jumps a corner and fires a bolt through his heart
Uristmctestbait has been shot and killed!
After this update
You yet again forget about "Dwarves stay inside" and Uristmctestbait goes to cut down a tree.With the update though, He knows that there are an army of bloodthirsty monsters and beak dogs, so he sets his own predetermines "restricted zone" that prohibits everything in that zone (Around the horde of course) And instead of noticing the enemy as soon as they are in firing distance, he is constantly tracking the hostile gobbos and will find a new place to go when they get about 50 tiles away.

Three things spring to mind with this suggestion. First, why do you have a woodcutter outside during a siege? Order that sucker inside, even the buggy version we have now will protect your dwarves if you engage the goblins far enough away from the fort that they don't get caught in the crossfire. Second, dwarven omnipotence is a placeholder mechanic to keep the game from being even more CPU intensive than it already is. Since in adventure mode players can only see about to firing range anyways, your woodcutter in an ideal world wouldn't know the goblins were coming until they started shooting. Third, do you realize how much processing power it would take for every dwarf to constantly make checks to see if a goblin is getting "too close"? Think elvish siege lag for every race.

This is a common suggestion, and I don't think it holds any merit. It relies on fixing two already broken mechanics, one of which is being fixed next version.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 02:43:53 pm »

I think happy dwarves should be more likely to foolishly run into battle and get themselves killed. They are so happy, that they become patriots for their awesome fort that keeps them so happy, so they charge into battle and take out the goblin leader with his axe before being shot down by marksmen.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 02:56:15 pm »

If a dwarf is caught in a trickle of lava (with more coming), he should path through magma with a depth of one, if his square is flooded... rather than be roasted from the ground up where he stands. Water, presumably the same.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.