Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wizard Duel Tournament! Signups 6/12  (Read 2715 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Wizard Duel Tournament! Signups 6/12
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:07 pm »

This is a non-mafia version of my Wizard Duel Game.

For Centuries the Council of Wizards has helped shape the destiny of the Kingdom. And throughout this time there has always been a High Mage to oversee the Council. The old High Mage has stepped down, and it is now time for you to prove your worth and claim the seat of High Mage for yourself!

Twelve Wizards shall compete for the title of High Mage. They do this by battling in an Arena, with each match between two duelists. The last wizard standing is crowned High Mage.

However, it is not based solely on the abilities of the duelists. The other mages in the Tournament can also interfere with the match by granting an assist to whichever mage they want to win. Therefore, you must not only do well in the Arena, you must also convince the other Wizards that it is in their interests to assist you.

If we do a second round of this game, the winner of this Duel will be allowed to have an effect on that game.

Players:
  • ExKirby
  • RandomNumberGenerator
  • Org
  • 100killer9
  • Solifuge
  • JaaSwb

You may find the last round of the mafia-style game of interest. While much of that game-play is not going to occur here (No cabal or side actions), the battle mechanics will remain the same.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:13:16 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel Tournament!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:28 pm »

Rules Section:

Order of Actions:
Phase 1) Set-up
  Each player states which Wizard they will Assist, and what kind of Assistance they will give. Wizards may choose not to assist anyone, and Subtle Mages do not need to state what they are doing. All players have 48 hours to get thier actions in. If a Duelist does not choose an Element during that time period, they will be assigned a Random element to attack with.
Phase 2) The Duel
  The Duel will be run by me using a script I've written. I'll then do a write-up of the battle to keep things exciting.

We then start with the next duel

All Wizards will be Role-flipped upon Incapacitation or losing a duel.

Each player will decide on a Role (Listed below) and Elemental Affinity (Fire, Earth, Air, Water) at the beginning of the game. Your Role will give you certain advantages in combat or when performing assists. Your Affinity will give you bonuses and penalties in combat depending on whether or not you are using the correct element against your opponent. The rules that describe this are listed in the technical section below.

Each player will also decide on a Rune Color at the beginning of the game. This is simply for flavor, but will also help differentiate people. Please choose a color which can be used in BBCode.

Technical rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duelist Roles: Each Wizard chooses what Role they wish to have at the start of the game.

War Mage: Has superior offensive magic, and can grant a bigger then usual offensive boost to another mage when assisting a Duel.
  +2 to Attack attribute
  +1 to all Attack Boosts

Battle Mage: Is skilled in personal combat, giving them an edge when defending and can grant a bigger then usual defensive boost to another mage when assisting a Duel.
  +2 to Defense attribute
  +1 to all Defense Boosts

Warrior Mage: Trained in both martial and magical combat, the Warrior Mage can shrug off hits that would incapacitate other mages.
  +10 to Health attribute

Time Mage: Skilled in manipulating the energies of time, the Time Mage is swifter then most other mages, and can grant a bigger speed boost to other mages. Time Mages are also more apt to get an extra attack in combat, and their opponents cannot get an extra attack on them.
  +2 to Speed attribute
  +1 to all Speed Boosts   

Healer: Has powerful Healing Magic
  +2 to all Healing assists

Subtle Wizard: He specializes in casting magic unseen, and his public Assist actions may not be his real action. He can PM the mod with a different assist choice, if he wishes, which will not be reported to the other players.

Alchemist - While not overly talented in combat magic, the Alchemist has access to very potent magics in the form of potions. When he starts the game he picks one of the following potions. It can either be given to another Wizard as an Assist or he can use it himself before he starts a duel.
    Elemental Affinity - Using this potion allows the Wizard to change their Affinity for the next Duel.
    Fireblood Potion - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge boost to his offensive capabilities for the next Duel
    Liquid Diamond - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge boost to his defensive capabilities for the next Duel
    Ironskin potion - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge boost to his Health rating for the next Duel
    Breath of the Zephyr - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge boost to his speed capabilities for the next Duel
    Troll's Blood - Using this potion gives the Wizard a huge Healing boost for the next Duel

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:53:16 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »

In.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:17:16 pm »

I will use Predictamancy, Moneymancy, and Retconjuration to make a lot of spare cash on the betting.

As in, I will be the only one making any money.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:19:08 pm »

Sure, I'll join.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:25:16 pm »

I will use Predictamancy, Moneymancy, and Retconjuration to make a lot of spare cash on the betting.

Hehe.

I take it you're spectating and not participating, then?
Come play Mafia with us!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:33:00 pm »

Yes and yes.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »

Question, how will the battles be determined? Mafia-style were people vote others in? tournament-style where the winners fight the winners?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »

Question, how will the battles be determined? Mafia-style were people vote others in? tournament-style where the winners fight the winners?

This will be a standard Tournament. So I'll pair up everyone into six duels, then we'll have 3 duels for the winners of those, two of those winners will fight each other, and then the final two will fight.
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 04:30:54 pm »

IN

Oh man. Erfworld FTW

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »

Is there any way a battle can end withoute one participant dieing?

In that case, I'm going to be a spectator to. A water affinity Healer...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 04:36:56 pm »

Technically, no one dies in this. They just get incapacitated during the duel. But there is always a single victor who moves on to the next battle.
Come play Mafia with us!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 04:41:57 pm »

Oh.
Well, then maybe I'm even the nurse that takes care of them afterward to or something?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 04:42:46 pm »

I'll spectate this one. I want to see how it will work without a Cabal.

Players will get to freely choose what role they want, yes?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 04:45:35 pm »

Yes, they get to pick whatever role they want from the list in the rules section.

Obviously, the four combat roles are going to have an advantage in the pure duel aspects. The other roles will have a political advantage when bartering assists, however.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2