Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The OTHER Let's Play Aurora: United Terran Alliance  (Read 6042 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
The OTHER Let's Play Aurora: United Terran Alliance
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:38:52 pm »

Because Aurora is that awesome.

Because the other one appears to be going for character driven religious fanaticism, I'm going to use a Confederation gov to balance that out. Commanders will be up for grabs along the lines of how DF community forts handle that.
The RNG gave me ridiculous grav deviation tolerance, so a lot of worlds will be open for colonisation. However, I will be giving myself only a very limited about of starting research points (9001) so I can properly get used to the games various techs, this will mean a slower pace early on.

Other settings: 1 NPR, Precursors on, no simplifications, no real stars, real promotion but without political bonuses, Innexperienced fleets, and tolerances of 3.5 atm pressure, 55% oxygen deviaton, 65% grav, 20 deg temp and a starting year of 2042.

The United Terran Alliance will bodly go, no wait, strip mine and deforest where no one has gone before.

][1st of January, 2042, planetary command center.][
"To make myself perfectly clear to whoever set up that projection, I haven't gotten the faintest clue of what is going on, parhaps you shouldn't have given every single asteroid bigger than your mum's house a nametag."
"Very funny sir, but ok."
"That's better, now zoom in, I don't have to see anything beyond the asteroid belt."
"Done and done."
"Time to get this show on the road, then."

Initial research: Basic engine and jump drive designs. Fuel efficieny 1

everybody is free to give advice, including the naming of various ships, I favour names that have somthing to do with the role of a ship, but they could be job titles, names, anything, really.

EDIT: Updated the eligible-for-claiming list.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:58:29 am by Aldaris »
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The OTHER Let's Play Aurora: United Terran Alliance
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »

Wow, how dwarfy!  Two officers with mining specialties, one as supreme leader of earth (or something).

Rename your public affairs person to Mistress Olivia the Elf.  Maybe she'll keep those animals of the stars from attacking you...

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:15:13 pm »

I can't change rank titles for a single person, but I'll see what I can do. Things are pretty quiet and I autoo-turned to june already and I can't do anything much yet as I don't even have the engines to put on ship designs.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:21:46 pm »

Captain Olivia the Elf for public affairs and Civilians Administrator King Urst for ruling Dwarfhelm Earth are the obvious changes.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:22:55 pm »

I don't intend to make this entire game Dorf themed, there will be elements of Dorfism I have planned, but not in the way you're expecting. 

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:50:48 pm »

I'd like to possess your fleet commander, Josepsh Shaw.

I mandate the construction of a pair of missile-armed frigates within the next 15 years. There might be something hostile that blows up spectacularly out there, sir.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »

I'll take communication officer Evie Barry and rename her/him to Croc Dundee.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 06:28:55 pm »

I'll take the survey officer, could you re-name him to Andrew Gallic?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:38:52 pm »

I will take the Intel officer Commander Jordan Sharpe

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 07:59:50 pm »

Logistics: Commander Grace Martin (25%)

Quote from: Preview of Personality Type
Grace: "Hey, whats that ship doing over there?  That's Commander Bob's right?  What the hell is he doing in Titan when he is supposed to be in Mars?"

*Some whispering into Commander Grace's ear*

Grace: "What?! I didn't order that!"

Random Subordinate: "But you did just last week."

Grace: "Then have him get to Mars!  Also, tell him to pick up some of Titan's 'recreational' goods for me while he is there."

Whats the rank theme?  UK?  US?  Terran Alliance?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:02:18 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 04:03:53 am »

Main team is Terran Alliance, I'll rename the commanders as soon as possible, and update the list of up-for-grabs.
Mandates updated: Missile Corvette 1/1. Deadline: June 2057. Likelyness of completion: Probable.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 06:42:58 am »

First year completed, Ship name suggestions please!

][1st of January, 2042, planetary command center.][
Most of the assembled leaders of what remained of humanity had very little to do, for now their ranks were mostly cosmetic. Earth had no space capabilities at all anymore beyond the three admittedly enormous shipyards left from the wars. Joseph Shaw was pushing for an armed space fleet, because nobody could know what lay behind the jump points once they were eventually explored, but he was a patient man and accepted that Humanity's priories lay elsewhere for the moment, but had managed to secure official promises that the government would aim to have at least a single missile corvette by 2057. Andrew Gallic, the survey officer of fleet command, was also patient, as he knew that even with most of Earth's resources dedicated to developing a survey vessel it would be more than a year before one was completed. Research projects were organized, and Earth's industry was set to work on producing more of itself.

On the 26th of March, a survey team was assembled to scout for additional minerals on Earth, as many suspected there were still several unknown deposits, they found the rare mineral Corundium on the 16th of April.

On the 11th of July, the first major Trans-Newtonian industrial project had been completed, adding 10 industrial capacity and 10 mines to the planet's industrial base. Work began on a commercial spaceport and an extra research lab.
On the 16th of July the first set of research projects was completed, and the UTA now had access to a nuclear thermal drive and a jump drive, both in commercial and military variants. Work began on the Prospector class Geosurvey in the Derecktor shipyards, which with it's enormous triple slipways would be very capable of producing the small ship.

Code: [Select]
Prospector class Geosurvey Ship    2100 tons     98 Crew     275.5 BP      TCS 42  TH 62  EM 0
1476 km/s     Armour 1-14     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/2     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 82 MSP    Max Repair 100 MSP

Nuclear Thermal Engine E1 (1)    Power 62    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 62    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 428.5 billion km   (3360 days at full power)

Geological Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

The first three prospectors were named the Prospector, Small Step and Armstrong respectively.

On the 16th of August, the geological survey team found a deposit of Mercassium and felt they had become quite a bit better at their job than when they were formed, but they also didn't believe there were any more terrestrial mineral deposits to be found, and until another planet was settled, they were out of work. Andrew Gallic presented these facts to high command, and while the news of the success of the team was received well, disappointment in the team of 5 believing they would never find anything more on the planet after only half a year of surveying was present. Especially with the Prospectors not scheduled to be completed before October next year. Instead, work began on designing a colony ship and a freighter to establish outposts on promising and maybe terraformable worlds so the surveying could continue.

Outreach class Colony Ship    5500 tons     83 Crew     205 BP      TCS 110  TH 124  EM 0
1127 km/s     Armour 1-27     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 23 MSP    Max Repair 16 MSP
Colonists 10000   

Nuclear Thermal Engine E1 (2)    Power 62    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 62    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 163.6 billion km   (1680 days at full power)

Naming of ship classes was, as ever with projects so within the political spotlight, an issue, but after some discussion it was decided that the cargo ship would be classed as the Titan, and future freighter classes would be named after individual Titans.

Titan class Cargo Ship    9350 tons     103 Crew     142.5 BP      TCS 187  TH 186  EM 0
994 km/s     Armour 1-39     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 10 MSP    Max Repair 16 MSP
Cargo 5000   

Nuclear Thermal Engine E1 (3)    Power 62    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 62    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 96.2 billion km   (1120 days at full power)

The titan class was assigned to the Upper Clyde shipyard which also had three slipways, and the naming of the first trio was quickly hurried through the respective committees, it was decided they would be named after animals famous for their strength, resulting in the somewhat ironic names Ant, Bull and the first-of-the-class Titan.

Outreach class Colony Ship    5500 tons     83 Crew     205 BP      TCS 110  TH 124  EM 0
1127 km/s     Armour 1-27     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 23 MSP    Max Repair 16 MSP
Colonists 10000   

Nuclear Thermal Engine E1 (2)    Power 62    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 62    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 163.6 billion km   (1680 days at full power)

However, this left only the single-slipway Qiuxin shipyard for the Outreach, the second slipway would not be completed until early 2045, meaning that the only Outreach class ship in the foreseeable future would be the CS Outreach itself.

The titans were expected to be completed in February 2043, the Outreach in June 2043, with the Prospectors lagging behind with an estimate for October 2043. The rest of the year passed uneventfully.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 10:23:14 am »

My missile ship class should be the Hedgehog.

As I learned last night, you might want to obsolete the colony ship and freighter after you've built what you want. Civilians will build them later, and with a low thermal signature you'll get plenty of spam in the event window about "Thermal signature lost!" "Contact lost!" "Thermal signature found!" "Contact established!"

Larger freighters with lots of engines are harder to lose on a radar. I'm not sure if the civilians are limited to the shipyard capacity or not, however. Cargo Handling systems are also a big plus, as those current designs will be spending most of their time docked, unloading/loading cargo.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 10:56:55 am »

I was actually hoping for the civvies to build a few of these, but the lack of cargo handling is indeed a problem, I'll update the design and refit the Titans already finished.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:01 pm »

I'm the Operations Commander, James Ackerson.

I assume "Operations" means Black Ops.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4