Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some basic questions liek finding a fort  (Read 1059 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some basic questions liek finding a fort
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »

I've been playing a bit adventure now instead of dwarf fortress, talking to strangers, killing enemies and dying a lot.

Now I'm almost running out of water, is it possible to drink from ponds or get more?

Also I've quick traveled to a location where there should be dwarfs and I'm getting messages of dwarf activity so I should be in the right area but how do I know where to go to find them? North, west, south or down the crapper?

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Some basic questions liek finding a fort
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:40:15 pm »

If you are in the right area there should be a panel at the top left with directions.  Just follow the directions that are next to the dwarf icon.  When it has the --- sign then you have to search in the area around you until you find it.

You can't drink from ponds but you can get more.  Go to a river or brook and press the shift-I keys and select your waterskin and choose to refill it.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:32:54 pm »

If by 'down the crapper' you mean 'down the stairs into the fortress' do that, but, god help you, because there isn't anything in there but a bunch of sleeping guards and a leader playing hide and seek in a 14 story hedge maze made of identical stone walls.

Also yes, more water, better not to drink from ponds because the water is stagnant.  Fresh water from brooks and rivers. 

And yes as Cody said, shift-i can fill waterskins or backpacks with water.  It can also fill them with blood or vomit, too.  Yay, vomit.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:34 pm »

Ok thanks for the help! :)

Any yea by the craper I mean the dwarf forts, after searching every room for 4 stories I kinda stopped. Now I'm gonna go and do stuff to dwarfes wandering those corridors. :D

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:18 pm »

I think you can drink stagnant water if you are very thirsty, but otherwise you can not.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:45:10 am »

You can drink stagnant water if you are dehydrated, as well as vomit. Another nifty thing (if you like cleaning your armour, or are simply out of everything else) is that you can drink the blood-spatter off your armour, if you are in dire need! This can result in pristine armour, if you are vigilant (bored/crazy) enough.

On another note, you CAN drink water directly from a pond/pool/river/lake/body-of-water, but you must be IN said body of water, which prevents you from drinking directly from a brook, but does not prevent you from scooping water from said brook with your waterskin/back pack (back packs function much like waterskins, save for that they can hold around 50 units of water, as compared to a waterskin's 3 units, which can be thrown to great effect, and waterskins cannot hold items).
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:09 am »

err How do I equip a weapon? Droped my battleaxe and now I cant figure out how to equip it. XD

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:59:00 pm »

make sure you have at least one hand with nothing in it

hit 'd' to go to the drop screen, drop anything in your hands

then pick up the battleaxe

if it is in your backpack, and you have nothing else in your hands

hit 'r' to 'r'emove it, and you will pull it out and put it in one of your hands, thus equipping it
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

NerfJihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Similar question to OP
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 03:23:19 am »

I copied a fort's save over to a new folder, abandoned it, and opened it in adventure mode. There were some pretty nice artifacts and artifact weapons in there that I'd like to steal for my adventurer. What's the best practice for finding it?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 06:55:17 am »

People say, place them in a heavy bin in a trade depot. However this may be a myth or a coincidence.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 07:04:24 am »

People say, place them in a heavy bin in a trade depot. However this may be a myth or a coincidence.

I can confirm this. With wooden bins they will fly about everywhere unless the items inside are heavy, but with platinum or lead bins they'll stay put.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 10:52:03 pm »

I can confirm this. With wooden bins they will fly about everywhere unless the items inside are heavy, but with platinum or lead bins they'll stay put.

I believe there is actually a specific weight, by which an item will no longer "fly" around a map. I have not determined the exact weight, for lack of caring, considering I can always fill a bin with lead and be done with it. Yes, I tend to be lazy like that.
Also a contributing factor for lack of desire to do such testing is that I have not experienced any dwarven moods of any sort in over a year (a real year for all you confused), which has lead to no specific items left to be desired.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.