Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Workshop: Roller Coaster  (Read 880 times)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
New Workshop: Roller Coaster
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

I think it would be very cool to get a roller coaster type of workshop which gives dwarves happy thoughts whenever they ride it.  However, it has a small chance of causing them to become nauseated, based on how "Tough" they are.

When building the roller coaster, you would place the workshop, then designate "tracks" leading out one side of the workshop.  The more turns there are in the track, the better the happy thought the dwarf will get when riding it!

If someone steps onto the roller coaster track, they will suffer a heavy crushing injury if the train collides with them, so it is prudent to ensure that the roller coaster track is away from all of your paths -- preferably it should be dug into solid stone well away from your mining areas.

Having a roller coaster boosts immigration.  You can create 5 roller coaster tickets from one stone at a craftsdwarf's workshop.  Dwarves will purchase these tickets for 10¤ apiece from shops, or you can trade them to merchants.  Merchants who are traded roller coaster tickets will then ride the roller coaster once they are done trading.

[ April 01, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: New Workshop: Roller Coaster
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

Would nobles be able to demand more roller-coaster loops? That would be awesome!

M@

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

This is one bloody good suggestion. Imagine how it would work with the Z-axis...
 vile force of darkness has arrived!
The student is apon us!

Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

I'm a bit skeptical about this.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

i dunno, considering the facts about roller coasters, it seems like it might be better to have something like the "Tower of Terror" in a dwarven mine

just something to think about

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 03:02:00 am »

The same could be implemented a bit more realistically (lol @ pic) with a minecart system the dwarves were allowed to ride... downhill, and fast. The carts could be hauled back up with the water wheel equipment or whatever mechanics they have planned for transforming energy between objects.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 03:47:00 am »

The term "does not fit in the game" comes very strongly to mind.

Dedas

• Bay Watcher
  • The dwarf next door
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 05:19:00 am »

I do believe he is making a joke.  :)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 10:49:00 am »

Yeah, yesterday was a day where many people made small, practical jokes of a halfway-believable nature.  It's a yearly tradition which is often referred to as "April Fool's Day". ;-)

All said, though, if we don't get dwarves getting run over when mining carts are put in, there is no justice in this world...

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

You know, if logs floated and dwarves clung to floating logs instead of drowning, I bet you could implement a decent log flume under the new z-axis system.

Top view:

code:

#########################
#V<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<###
#V###################^<##
#V####################^<#
#V#####################^#
#V####################>^#
#V###################>^##
#V##########=D>>>>>>>^###
#>>>>>>G==##D############
#########S##S############
######### ###############

Side view of main drop:

code:

##############
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
###T##########
###=D        #
#####\       #
######\      #
#######\     #
########\    #
#########\   #
##########\  #
###########\ #
############ #
##############

>^<V - Water flows this direction
# - Rock
D - Door
S - Stairway
= - Stockpile for wood (top stockpile draws from bottom stockpile)
G - Grating for draining water
~ - Water
T - Trapdoor
\ - Ramp

A dwarf carries a piece of wood to the stockpile at the top.  The player manually locks the door behind him via the 'q' menu.

The player then queues up a lever pull that will open both the trapdoor (dumping water into the flume) and the other door (allowing the water, dwarf, and log to flow down the ramp).  At the bottom, the dwarf is treated to little river trip around to the disembarkation area where the grating lets the water leak out of the system.

The player queues up another level pull to stop the water flow.  Once the player unlocks the door at the top of the stairs, another hauler should grab the log at the bottom, bring it back to the top, and inadvertently put himself in position to be the next victim/passenger on the ride.