Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading questions - always die (solved - n00b mistakes)  (Read 1075 times)

svancouw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vancocomputing.net
Trading questions - always die (solved - n00b mistakes)
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:23:00 pm »

I've been playing Fortress mode for some time now, but I'm a complete n00b with Adventurer mode. When I buiy items I always get slaughtered by the guards as if I stole something.

I trade the items for currency, I drop the currency and pick up the items I bought (I'm sure I'm getting it right, both in the amount left and the items I pick up), but when I walk out the guards all attack me. What could I be doing wrong? I'm running 40d16.

Also, is there a way to drop a portion of a stack of money? It's hard to buy small items when you have stacks of 100 and 200 gold.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:32:19 pm by svancouw »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Trading questions - always die
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:42:17 pm »

You have to trade with the shopkeeper. After you've offered the correct amount of currency and he's agreed to it, your money will simply fall out of your inventory onto the floor. Then, the item that you picked will be sitting over on the tables, with the dollar signs removed from around it.

Is this what you're doing? Because if it is, then there's a bug.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:52:04 pm »

If you're trying to drop items, you're definitely doing something wrong.  Use the process above.  The items which you auto-drop should have dollar signs around them, the items you bought should not.

Note that currencies from one civ are worthless to another, and aren't even worth their melt value.

Also, Γ are a unit of weight, not currency.  If an item says 200 Γ, then it weighs 200 Γ, it doesn't cost 200 ☼.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

svancouw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:01:14 pm »

I think I've got a bug. After experimenting it seems to vary between trade agreements. When I traded at the meat shop, I had to drop the money on the table and pick up the items from the display tables. When I traded for armor my money was taken out of my backpack for me, and I had to pick up the items manually like above.

I always have to check to see if I'm OK to come back by walking near a guard, and this last time I think I was OK and accidentally hacked one trying to walk up to him LOL

Needless to say I died after killing about 5 guards.

If you steal something will your companions leave or turn against you?

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »

It's also impossible to "accidentally" attack a friendly or neutral critter.  If you "accidentally" attacked, he was hostile.

Are you positive you're doing it right?

1. Tal(k) to the shopkeeper while adjacent.
2. Select Trade and press enter.
3. Pick the item you want.
4. Press H so that you are offering 1 ☼ worth of currency.
5. Press T, and the shopkeep will tell you the value of the item if you can afford it, and your currency offer will match the item's price if possible.
6. Press T again to accept.
6a. If H, T, T does not work, you're doing something wrong, like carrying the wrong currency.
7. Exit conversation.  The money you paid will not be on the ground, it'll automatically go into the shopkeeper's chest (it won't re-stack with his coins).
8. Go to the table and pick up the item you bought.  It has to be the specific one, without dollar signs or coins around the name.  Getting a $Iron Shield$ is stealing.  If you're using the Mayday tileset, $ are replaced by coins with a "1" on them.
8a.  Press escape, look at what the bottom menu option says.  It should be "retire (or rest a while) as a peasant".  If it says "give in to starvation (holding another's goods)," you did something wrong, probably picked up the wrong item.
9.  Exit store, talk to a guard about his family.  "My sister's name was Umpig Rostfenusa.  In 189, Umpig was consumed by a elf."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:33:25 pm by Arrkhal »
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

svancouw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 02:31:47 pm »

Yeah that's what I was doing, I was just stupidly assuming the "table" is the same table where money appears if you sell something to a shop. Dumb assumption, and it looks like it's working as it is supposed to.

Thanks for helping to clear this up for me.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading questions - always die (solved - n00b mistakes)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:37:08 pm »

Oh, one helpful thing to make sure you don't pick up the wrong thing, and make sure you don't forget to pick up the stupid purchase (I do that one all the time, then have to backtrack back to that town to get my item!), is pick something up ahead of time.

It only counts as theft if you leave the store with the item (I believe if you throw something out the door, it only counts as theft if you pick it up out there, but that means a thrown item is unreturnable, though you could purchase it and then run out and get it).

If you're holding part of the store's inventory, the item name will be purple instead of green, allowing you to (l)ook at the inventory, pick up the stuff you want, then talk to the shopkeep and easily find it on the trading list.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:41:22 pm by Arrkhal »