Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It's just a flesh wound!  (Read 1770 times)

Northen_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It's just a flesh wound!
« on: January 19, 2010, 05:16:04 am »

Well, guess what I found when checking out my recruits?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This wound does not stop dwarf from working, carrying items and s/he does not need "hospital rest" and does all duties, that are need to be done. So guess it's not that big problem. (it's moderate (brown) wound)

My units are equipped with leather armor, shields and obsidian swords from the begging. Is this considered "rough" training program?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:19:04 am by Northen_Wolf »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: It's just a flesh wound!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:30:18 am »

Leather armor looks goo-

Obsidian swords?

Your recruits are hacking at each other with weapons that do the same damage as steel, meaning you'll have rather fatal injuries on occasion. You should dig up or import some iron - or train them as wrestlers first.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:37:26 am »

or get some silvaaaaaaaa!

Also it means their brain is bruised... fun times...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Northen_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:04:17 am »

Leather armor looks goo-

Obsidian swords?

Your recruits are hacking at each other with weapons that do the same damage as steel, meaning you'll have rather fatal injuries on occasion. You should dig up or import some iron - or train them as wrestlers first.

If they are not ready to die for their fort, they are no suitable for military, besides Fortress guard is needing new recruits.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:21 am »

Razor-sharp stone swords > leather armor. What part of this is hard to understand?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Northen_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:35:32 am »

Razor-sharp stone swords > leather armor. What part of this is hard to understand?

Hey, if you are in the dwarfish military, then you are IN THE DWARFISH MILITARY, no wussies allowed! None! If you cry for "little" spine wound or "moderately" damaged brain, you'll be next recruit for fortress guard or player in goblin arena own special seating during arena fights.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:40:24 am »

Give em some real armor. If you're in the dwarven, army, you have real f***ing armor. Because dwarves aren't stupid bush league warriors who don't know how to forge.
The sigs topic:

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:11:27 am »

Since i`m often doomed to play on iron less maps, my dwarves often use weapons (Made of the scarce iron i trade or "borrow" from the dwarven liason..) without armour.

The most important thing is: I train them to become legendary wrestlers first. And if they get some (light) wounds then, they usually shrug it off.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:13:02 am by Lordinquisitor »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:49:05 am »

Unarmored dwarves will suffocate if sparring in wrestling. The most important thing about sparring is to armor your dwarves. Leather is of course better than nothing, but if you're going to insist on using real weapons in friendly sparring bouts then you had better insist on real armor too.

Disclaimer: all of this will be totally different in the new version, including the way soft and hard armors interact with different weapons.
The sigs topic:

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:57 am »

Since i`m often doomed to play on iron less maps, my dwarves often use weapons (Made of the scarce iron i trade or "borrow" from the dwarven liason..) without armour.

The most important thing is: I train them to become legendary wrestlers first. And if they get some (light) wounds then, they usually shrug it off.

If you can trade with the Mountainhomes but have no iron of your own, then I'd recommend importing armor and weapons from them. If, however, you insist on making your own, then you can still import steel gear and melt it down, and order steel and iron bars.

As has already been said by the Architect, armor is more important than weapons. You should worry about armoring your guys first; even an unarmed soldier wearing steel armor has better survivability than one using good weapons but wearing civilian clothes or leather armor.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 10:28:06 am »

Hey, if you are in the dwarfish military, then you are IN THE DWARFISH MILITARY, no wussies allowed! None! If you cry for "little" spine wound or "moderately" damaged brain, you'll be next recruit for fortress guard or player in goblin arena own special seating during arena fights.
Oddly enough this has made me want a fort which has an arena where the floor is littered with weapon traps, and all arena combatants are trap-immune. They won't trigger any traps until they get knocked unconscious during arena combat, at which point their skull and spine end up at opposite ends of the room :D If you're weak enough to lose consciousness, you don't deserve to live :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 01:05:29 pm »

Note that leather armor does not protect the head and everything in it... wearing a simple cap or helm (or both) reduces neck and head injuries pretty well (though I do admit that obsidian swords are not a good choice for sparring)

Bruised brains are pretty mild injuries for this kind of training... I had untrained dwarfs suffocate by the dozen after sword and axe training from cut out throats and pierced lungs.

Luckily, dwarves need no intct brain to use a crossbow ro do regular work. I ask myself, what exactly they need it for in the regular training... must be a cultural thing ::)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:41:23 pm »

"Recruit: Doctor, my brain 'urts!
Doctor: Well, it'll 'ave to come out then!"

Speaking of traps, it might be fun to put cage traps all over the sparring area, remove all labors but health care from a few peasants, place "dwarf cages" around the entrance and then release injured dorfs on invaders!
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 12:48:07 pm »

There is a brighter side. Unprotected sparring with razor-sharp swords may result in more slashed out eyes. Which result in blind dwarves. Which are perfect as siege operators, because they are uninterruptible.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 01:17:35 pm »

But the chance of getting both eye gouged out is much smaller than getting one single red liver/spine/brain etc...
Pages: [1] 2