Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Designate as cistern  (Read 1229 times)

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designate as cistern
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:11:23 am »

A new designation: cistern

This would cause the bookkeeper to keep stock of how much water or magma the designated area contains.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designate as cistern
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 04:19:08 am »

To take it further:
- rooms should be 3d-capable
- merge rooms and stockpiles
- allow fluid stockpiles
- the bookkeeper tracks stuff in stockpiles

It would work more in a generalized way, without having to add yet another designation.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:50:26 am »

I don't follow the application of the original post or even the general gist of the second.

Don't take this as an insult or challenge to either of  you, now I'll explain: How is it useful for the book keeper to keep track of water and magma levels? You want him to automatically designate it to be refilled? It seems like it would be more difficult for the player to check the stocks menu and try to match a number or coordinates to a location, rather than simply looking at it. If you want to instantly see what is there without a view command, just turn on fluid numbers display.

I do see now how the second post is related, but I think it would do the opposite of simplifying stockpile menus and designations. If you did relate things as you are saying, with cisterns as liquid stockpiles, it does not sound like a useful addition to the game and it seems to me that it would be extremely involved. A significant chunk of programming for no perceptible benefit.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:00:21 am »

Answer: if things get much more complicated, the status screen will become a much more invaluable resource in keeping the fort efficient and well-stocked.  Water is a fundamental part of that, and being able to check it in the status screen would be advantageous if things like:

- water necessary for booze
- other fortress mode civs
- water barrels
- sewers (unlikely, as we all know)

are fully implemented.  If I have a 5x5 map with a sprawling 200 dwarf fort, it would be nice to check the status of my 5 wells and brewery water tank in one place rather than having to go look at it.

Silverionmox is suggesting a refactoring of the designation system that automatically adds the feature that OP suggests, almost.  Since under that scheme stockpiles are part of room designations, and the cistern would be a room, if water is treated as a quasi item type designating a cistern is really just designating a water stockpile.

It would be a nifty alteration, if it weren't for Toady's consideration of merging stockpiles with activity zones, since they are both different ways of looking at the same thing.  If that were to happen, then we might just get this feature anyway: designating a pool/pond if zones and stockpiles are the same thing would be the same thing as designating a cistern, and hopefully we would get the tracking of water amounts in the process.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:28:18 pm »

I just want one minor side effect that would be made more likely by the inclusion of something like this.

I want a pool to have muddying floor optional. A drinking water stockpile/pool would presumably not do irrigation.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 02:12:52 pm »

Visions of complicated multi-Z level mechanized cisterns to remove the muddiness at the bottom of the tank for aesthetic value dance in my head.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:09:11 pm »

I should hope by the time workshops require water, we have water barrels.  I'm highly dubious about the utility of a "3d room", and I don't think it's a very appropriate mechanism for "liquid storage".  That's what pumps and floodgates and pressure plates are for.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 03:24:48 pm »

I'm going to hijack this thread to an extent.

In one of my recent forts, I had  a pool of water underneath my dining room. I had two wells in my dining room providing access to my water. I wanted to fill the pool with water, so I replaced a couple floor tiles over the pool with grates and made them ponds.

My dwarves then cheerfully emptied their buckets into the grates, then rushed to fil them again from the wells, with the water they just put in.

Instead of a simple "water source" option, one should be able to designate the uses of the water form that source.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 04:10:37 pm »

I don't think I'd use the cistern thing much, unless the designation also encouraged my dwarves to refill it periodically and set it aside as a water source, like ed boy said, so that I could put up a work order to bring water from water source #1 (brook) to cistern #1, maybe with a little logic that'd let me set thresholds for starting and stopping.

But really, the overwhelming majority of my cisterns are filled using floodgates.

The stockpile thing would be marginally more useful, but once again I doubt I'd use it much unless it was part of burrows or allowed my to mark items in bins to be traded en masse from a given location.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:51:23 pm »

Is no one seeing the potential of booze cisterns, designate a cistern and a boz stockpile with only one drink allowed, then build a well on top of it, you would get a well that would have alchol in it, how awesome is that
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:07 pm »

I just want one minor side effect that would be made more likely by the inclusion of something like this.

I want a pool to have muddying floor optional. A drinking water stockpile/pool would presumably not do irrigation. Checking those pollutants would also be the job of the hoardmaster, while the purity of liquid outside storage is of no concern.

Hopefully that will come to depend on the source of the fluid, delivered via pollutants (rivers vs. wells or pumps).

Quote from: Sproingie
I'm highly dubious about the utility of a "3d room", and I don't think it's a very appropriate mechanism for "liquid storage".  That's what pumps and floodgates and pressure plates are for.
I'd like 3d rooms, if only to allow the dwarves to stockpile all those bins several stories high, or to make sure the engravings on the vaulted ceilings are appreciated and considered in the room value.

Liquid storage rooms would have the property that dwarves fill it up from above instead of trying to stockpile items. In effect, it would be what now is a pond (also, you could make a hole in the ceiling of a room and tell the dwarves it's a liquid storage now very easily). Animal storage rooms would have dwarves take care of not letting them out etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:01:06 pm by Silverionmox »

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:58 am »

Quote from: Silverionmox
I'd like 3d rooms, if only to allow the dwarves to stockpile all those bins several stories high, or to make sure the engravings on the vaulted ceilings are appreciated and considered in the room value.

Morul Ironspikes, Legendary Forklift operator?

I tend to consider engraved floor to be a stand-in representation for engraved ceilings. It makes far more sense to put artwork where people won't be stomping all over it in steel high boots.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 02:12:04 pm »

Quote from: Silverionmox

Morul Ironspikes, Legendary Forklift operator?
Ladders & muscle.

I tend to consider engraved floor to be a stand-in representation for engraved ceilings. It makes far more sense to put artwork where people won't be stomping all over it in steel high boots.
With the development of 3d-viewers they'll get their chance to shine, wherever they are. I already dig out cathedrals in the rock for meeting halls, throne rooms, etc.. Quite fun, and it would be great to have the dwarves appreciate it fully.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 06:44:10 pm »

I want a pool to have muddying floor optional. A drinking water stockpile/pool would presumably not do irrigation.

You can do this now. Construct a road over the floor. It will prevent anything from growing there.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 09:16:48 pm »

You know, if all the water is so cruddy it leaves mud everywhere, maybe the issue isn't keeping the floor clean. How do you expect anyone to brew high quality drinks out of crap that looks like it came from a rainwater puddle?
Pages: [1] 2