Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: above ground irrigation  (Read 2121 times)

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
above ground irrigation
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:36:22 pm »

in the literal non dwarf fortress terminology, is it possible? i've been having trouble with designs (artist block i will have vengeance) to actually get to test.

probably a better phrase for the question would be "suspended in the air farming", as in a level above z+1 of constructed floors, then send an aqueduct track over and shower farmplot zones.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: above ground irrigation
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:12:34 am »

eh? sure,just build a floor up there that your dwarves can path to and 2 screw pumps on the 0z and 1 z level (one sucking from your water source that's assumedly on the -1z level and one sucking from the water that the first one draws up.)

The water will pump onto the higher level and make irrigable soil on that level that you can plant a plot on.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:15:28 am by Heliman »

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 12:40:54 am »

The ancients say in the hanging gardens of Babylon, slaves pumped water from the Euphrates up many z-levels using screw pumps and then let it flow down in many cascading waterfalls across a plethora of terraces.  Along these waterways, fertile soil and potash had been hauled up from ground level and mixed to form growing land for a great variety of trees and plants that gave all who looked upon them happy thoughts.

You aren't going to let a bunch of stinking HUMANS out-engineer your dwarves, right?

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:35:41 am »

The water doesn't have to source from 1z lvl above.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:41:07 am »

ummmm... i thought you cant farm on constructed floors? so you either have to take a natural hill or create one from obsidian, and THEN irrigate it, either with pumps or with the help of the bucket brigade.

edit: and if the ground isnt stone, you dont need to irrigate, anyway.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 01:56:48 pm »

No, no, if water touches any tile, weather a construction or a natural, the tile becomes a "Muddy" tile that you can plant a farm on

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:02:20 pm »

No, no, if water touches any tile, weather a construction or a natural, the tile becomes a "Muddy" tile that you can plant a farm on

Yeah, water, no matter what, is always muddy enough to create muddy tiles on anything it touches (save murky pool tiles).  It's no wonder the dwarves prefer to drink booze.  Even the clear, clean, flowing water is muddy.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:56:26 am »

reexplain this part please.

and this is what i needed to confirm on, thank you. now Urist BoneWolf can start using the help of Werewolf slaves allies to start planing

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:05:24 am »

You can farm on muddied tiles wherever, but I think mud outside gets magiced away each season with the blood and vomit. You'd have to re-irrigate, or just roof over.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 01:08:55 am »

I do believe what he's saying is there's no reason you can't pump from a brook/river/pool/etc onto the current z-level.  Just let the water spread out and it will muddy the area.  Stop pumping when you're done.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 02:57:15 am »

I do believe what he's saying is there's no reason you can't pump from a brook/river/pool/etc onto the current z-level.  Just let the water spread out and it will muddy the area.  Stop pumping when you're done.
Exactly what I meant. I'm too cruel to give my farmers happy mist. They just get a German mob-control hose from my legendary Urist McPumper

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 03:40:37 am »

You can farm on muddied tiles wherever, but I think mud outside gets magiced away each season with the blood and vomit. You'd have to re-irrigate, or just roof over.
Almost certain the mud stays. In one of my early forts, I spent years waiting for a big ol' muddy patch to disappear after I breached a murky pool. It never did (and eventually I just built a dirt road over it to let the grass regrow).

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »

Exactly what I meant. I'm too cruel to give my farmers happy mist. They just get a German mob-control hose from my legendary Urist McPumper

ahh no maybe a side view can help, tho the other person helped with what i wanted to know.

side view: X = wall,  _ = floor,  . = blankspace,   ~ = water,  / or \ = ramp
z+2 . x farm x
z+1 . x x x x x \
z-0 _ _ _ _ _ _ \
z-1 ~ ~ x x x x x x

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 05:02:46 pm »

Would it be possible to build dirt roads on mountain tiles and farm them?

Just curious.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 07:22:01 pm »

I just designate a pond. I don't really care, so long as tiles get muddy. And it's easier to clean up.
Pages: [1] 2