Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Apocalypse RTD  (Read 6958 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apocalypse RTD
« on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:56 pm »

As the name states, this is set in the year 2060 AD, about 10 years after ICBMs hit pretty much the entire world. Yes, there was colonys on the moon and mars, but not to the point that there was an actual 'population' that was self-sufficient. As such, they quickly died.

As people slowly started coming out of the underground bunkers which had lasted them up until then, they began to rebuild. There was rumors of better pastures in Mexico, but those were (for the most part) disregarded as the bombs had tore a huge hole in the ozone. People practically live by night and sleep by day, as the radiation would kill you within half a day. People don't really use clocks anymore as they stopped working long ago and only a few can afford the hefty bargaining price for real clocks. People simply go by Dawn, Noon, Evening, Dusk, Midnight, and Early Morning. Radiation starts coming in at Dawn and stops at Dusk, so people stay out from Dusk till Dawn, and sleep from Dawn till Dusk.

You and your 4 other friends, however, stay in the ruins of an old abandoned apartment building in New York City. The water recently stopped flowing into your faucet and food's running out, which is why you all agreed that you should get moving to greener pastures.

Now, i'll allow 5 people in. There will be a waiting list, and whenever someone dies they'll be put at the bottom of the list and the first one on the list will come in at a certain point(sometimes not immediatly, but certainly not more than a day.)and will get to create their character. As well guys, you will take 'radiation' starting from Dawn and ending at Dusk. Radiation will cause nausea at first, then vomiting which will steadily lower your health. If you stay out for the entire day, then you will continue taking radiation damage until you get a rad pill. Rad pills will be found throughout the game and medics will start with 3 by default. You must find shelter before Dawn as to not take radiation damage. Professions will add an extra +15 to whatever roll associated with that, ie. a marksman shooting or a medic applying anesthetic and taking shapnel out, then disinfecting and bandaging it.

You will require one unit of food and one unit of water each day. You start with a loave of bread (3 units of food) and a bottle full of water(5 units of water). If you go without water for a day, you will slowly start taking damage. If you go without food for a day, you will slowly start taking damage as well.

Last but not least, each turn is one part of the day. ie. Dawn is one turn, Dusk is one turn, and so on.

Professions
--------------
Marksman:Starts with a bolt-action rifle, 2 clips for it(6 bullets each), and a knife.
Medic:Starts with a pistol, one 6-bullet clip for it, a scalpel, one bottle of disinfectant(5 units), half a syringe of anesthetic(2 units), and 5 units of bandage. As well as 2 rad pills.
Scavenger:Gains +15 to finding food/water rolls. Starts with pistol, one 6-bullet clip for it, knife, a lighter with 3 units of fuel[For when you find and kill that rat and need to cook it. Fires take one unit of fuel each turn.
Mediocre Demoltions Expert:Starts with pistol, one 6-bullet clip for it, knife, 1 satchel for blowing obstacles up, one lighter with 2 units of fuel, and 2 grenades.
Hunter:Starts with Crossbow, 15 bolts for it, and a hunting knife.
Mechanic:Starts with toolkit, 20 units of salvage, and a knife.

EDIT:Slots are filled now. Post if you wish to be put on the waiting list.
Waiting List
--------------
1. Woose1-Hunter
2. Kilakan-Mediocre Demoltions Expert
3. 100killer9-Scavenger
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:00:46 pm by x2yzh9 »

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse RTD
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »

Hrrm, this seems interesting. I would like to be a medic if at all possible.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:21:03 pm »

As people slowly started coming out of the underground bunkers which had lasted them up until then, they began to rebuild. There was rumors of better pastures in Mexico, but those were (for the most part) disregarded as the bombs had tore a huge hole in the ozone. People practically live by night and sleep by day, as the radiation would kill you within half a day. People don't really use clocks anymore as they stopped working long ago and only a few can afford the hefty bargaining price for real clocks. People simply go by Dawn, Noon, Evening, Dusk, Midnight, and Early Morning. Radiation starts coming in at Dawn and stops at Dusk, so people stay out from Dusk till Dawn, and sleep from Dawn till Dusk.

Wait, what?

First, you mention people start coming out 10 years. No radiocative material has a half-life that short. Also, why does radiation only work during the daytime? RADIATION WAiTS FOR nO MAhN.

Not self-sufficient mars colony? Wat? It would take at least a year for anything to reach them, so if they weren't self sufficient, they would have already died out.

Besides that, it sounds fun! I call marksman role!
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:36:16 pm »

Wait, what?

First, you mention people start coming out 10 years. No radiocative material has a half-life that short. Also, why does radiation only work during the daytime? RADIATION WAiTS FOR nO MAhN.

Not self-sufficient mars colony? Wat? It would take at least a year for anything to reach them, so if they weren't self sufficient, they would have already died out.

Besides that, it sounds fun! I call marksman role!
Well, as far as story goes, pretty much everyone has cancer on earth at the time. Radiation only works during the daytime because there's significantly more radiation EVERYWHERE due to the hole in the ozone[And as far as I know, radiation doesn't loop around the earth and get on it at nightime]. As far as the Mars thing goes, what about the O2 and stuff? The Mars colony hasn't got to the point where it's actually producing everything it needs. Also, Spaceships before the bombings had nuclear engines. As well, after 10 years we're presuming the radiation eventually just spread out the earth and got diluted to the point that it didn't instantly kill you

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:02:21 pm »

Are those the only allowed professions? Ehh, I guess I'll be a Medic then.

Also, what dice system is this based on? +15 to rolls sounds pretty extreme.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:04:42 pm »

100 sided die..using random.org
I'll tone the +15 down if you guys agree on it, and what other professions do you recommend?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »

I'll tone the +15 down if you guys agree on it, and what other professions do you recommend?

On a D100 I guess 15 is fine... I'm used to D6, with 2D8 being the highest.

As far as professions...

Mechanic - Skilled with a variety of tools and machines, he can easily repair a wide variety of things. Maybe even make new things.
Guardian - Big and strong, he can both deal and take damage. His main strength is his strength. His weakness? Well... he makes an excellent target.
Engineer - Very knowledgeable about practical science. Things such as what chemicals are and what they do, how things work, structural integrity, etc. 
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »

Physicist/Chemist: Researches new objects from the salvage. Needed for any advanced technology, such as robots, computers, etc. If we aren't near any nuclear detonation sites, computers should still work.
Biologist: Can dissect any insect/animal.
Hunter:Starts with a crossbow (15 bolts), and a hunting knife.
Useless Office Worker: -5 to all rolls except for completely inane rolls. +5 to all completely inane rolls. He can also use computers.
Police Officer: Starts with pistol, 1 clip, and police baton. +2 to combat rolls.

And... the end of the story is that everyone dies?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 09:40:04 pm »

A d100? That's not an RTD, man.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:49:05 pm »

On a D100 I guess 15 is fine... I'm used to D6, with 2D8 being the highest.

As far as professions...

Mechanic - Skilled with a variety of tools and machines, he can easily repair a wide variety of things. Maybe even make new things.
Guardian - Big and strong, he can both deal and take damage. His main strength is his strength. His weakness? Well... he makes an excellent target.
Engineer - Very knowledgeable about practical science. Things such as what chemicals are and what they do, how things work, structural integrity, etc. 
I will take mechanic from this...

Physicist/Chemist: Researches new objects from the salvage. Needed for any advanced technology, such as robots, computers, etc. If we aren't near any nuclear detonation sites, computers should still work.
Biologist: Can dissect any insect/animal.
Hunter:Starts with a crossbow (15 bolts), and a hunting knife.
Useless Office Worker: -5 to all rolls except for completely inane rolls. +5 to all completely inane rolls. He can also use computers.
Police Officer: Starts with pistol, 1 clip, and police baton. +2 to combat rolls.

And... the end of the story is that everyone dies?
and Hunter from this.

Will modify original post.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:21:17 pm »

This sounds interesting. I'll join as a mechanic.
Spoiler: spoilered for SCIENCE! (click to show/hide)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »

il join as a scavenger

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 10:48:11 pm »

Hm, alright. Slots are filled! Post if you want to get on the waiting list.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:38 pm »

TURN 1:Damn rats

It is Dusk.

The apartments slowly been crumbling apart, and now that the water faucet stopped working and foods starting to run out you've all been forced to actually do something about the situation. You remember about 10 years ago when the bombs hit NYC, though you were all luckily hid in bunkers at that point. Eventually you all found eachother and setup camp in this old abandoned apartment, but after 2 months it's finally stopped supplying you with water and food.

Spoiler: tehstefan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: inteuniso (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: RandomNumberGenerator (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: dragnar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jetsquirrel (click to show/hide)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 12:09:13 am »

Noooooes I wanted to play! D:

Put me on the waiting list then.
EDIT: I'll be a hunter, then.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:12:40 am by woose1 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5