Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Remove the minimap.  (Read 6626 times)

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
Remove the minimap.
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:41:49 pm »

Just kill it. Does anyone even USE the minimap?

In case you don't know what it is, it's the thing on the right of the screen that you immediately get rid of with the tab key.

It's simply not useful except in the very beginning of the game if you lose track of your wagon, and it only hurts new players, really, with all of the silly extra stuff it shows.

I'd love to know an actual use for it, but right now it's simply a hindrance to me.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remove the minimap.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:57:17 pm »

I've used it to eyeball where hostile units are without scanning over the entire map. It can be useful that way, especially when sieges show up.

A better change would be to leave the minimap out of the default view (i.e. make the default view be 2/3rds gameplay and 1/3rd commands).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:14 pm »

^ What he said. It's also useful for finding surface magma pipes, if there's any on the map.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:42:12 pm »

Yes remove a feature you can already turn off.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:47:05 pm »

Yes remove a feature you can already turn off.

A feature that others have proven to be useful, no less.  Best not to ask to kill features just because you personally don't like them.  Double true for it being togglable anyway.  As mentioned, changing the default behavior may be helpful, but make sure we know it's still there.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:08:13 pm »

Let me counter out the OP's anecdotal evidence by saying I use it all the time.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 09:21:20 pm »

It helps alot when starting a new game.

You must play really small maps.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:30:01 pm »

Yes we use it, and we love it. It would appear you're the only one that needed to have "that thing on the right side of the screen" explained in any sort of detail.

A third option for what to do about this would be to allow players to specify their own preferred display settings to use every time the game starts, instead of forcing anything on anyone. That would save many more tab keys than merely yours.

I usually end up removing the command list if anything, since I've memorized all the ones I need.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:33:20 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 10:14:15 pm »

I use the map quite a bit, especially when I was first starting DF.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:23:46 pm »

I use it a bit. My fortresses are completely regular, of course, so I have no problem with finding things, but for surface work it's the best tool.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 11:18:52 pm »

I always use it, specially at the start of the game but after that i hide it away.
Great for finding a starting location to build your fortress upon.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 11:23:41 pm »

Same feelings as everyone else, removing it would only make things harder and slower.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 11:25:27 pm »

I'd rather see the mini-map made less mini with another tap on the tab key. A full screen map that's still smaller than actual size would be useful.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 11:33:32 pm »

Oi. Well, sorry If I seemed a little biased. It just seemed that from my experiences, no one uses the minimap. I guess no one really talks about it, then. Well, perhaps the option to turn it off in the init file at least. Just for me. >_<

And yes, i do tend to settle smaller-sized forts, but I've had my share of big ones.

(No more suggesting things on 5 hours of sleep for me.)
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 12:11:39 am »

just press tab twice or somethin?

Also there isnt really much to talk about, its a mini map.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!
Pages: [1] 2 3