Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: I need to punish this dwarf  (Read 4908 times)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need to punish this dwarf
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 05:38:43 am »

Yes - the problem was that I didn't have any turtles to begin with...they were either (foolishly) cooked, or lost in some other fashion. Hell, I could have even convinced myself that I bought some pre-embark and actually didn't. Either way, someone dropped the ball, and this dwarf is getting the blame for it.  >:(

Look up, i ninjad you.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 05:51:12 am »

Yes - the problem was that I didn't have any turtles to begin with...they were either (foolishly) cooked, or lost in some other fashion. Hell, I could have even convinced myself that I bought some pre-embark and actually didn't. Either way, someone dropped the ball, and this dwarf is getting the blame for it.  >:(

Look up, i ninjad you.

yeah, but I re-ninja'd you by editing my post after I saw your initial comment ;)

are we even now, or are we both equally dead? ???
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 06:04:48 am »

meh good enough, though you can see the edit time :P
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 06:18:10 am »

Any tips on caging a dwarf?

The trick is to get them to fall down on a cage trap. There's a whole bunch of ways to do this - generally cave-in dust is a prime choice. Here's the first method that comes to mind.

Z.2: The natural wall is balanced on the support, below.
Code: [Select]
.O..

Z.1: There's the support, beside a small pit.
++++
+S..
++++

Z.0: The support above is built on the X wall, all other walls are Os. The ^ is a cage trap; get Turtle to stand there. D is a door you lock behind him.
OOOO
OX^D
OOOO

So here's what happens: Turtle stands on the trap, stuck between a locked door and a wall. Lever gets pulled, the natural wall above the support caves in. The cave-in dust instantly knocks out Turtle without throwing him around and he is caged.

I haven't tested this yet - just thought it up now, actually - but should work from what I can see. Think I'll give it a shot right now, actually.

ed- Huh, it's not working for some reason. The constructed wall on z.0 refuses to collapse and knock out mister victim. Gonna mess around with it a bit. Although there's still the time-honoured technique of getting him to stand a bridge that drops him 2 or 3z down onto a cage trap, though he'd be badly injured.

double ed- Okay, turns out that constructed walls/floors just create lame cave-in dust. Edited the plan to make use of a natural wall suspended on the support. Works just fine for me, though I only tested it twice.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:56:16 am by Retro »

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:02:16 am »

you do realise your turtles are eaten?
but , as everyone knows : dwarfs are idiots , they threw the shells and bones INTO your refuse pile to "dissapear"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 09:16:27 am »

The fisherdwarf is not the one at fault here.

Brooks and rivers don't produce turtles when fished.  I know you saw turtles wandering around on land, but that doesn't affect what the fisher produces when fishing.  Turtles come from ponds, not from flowing water.  If you had channeled out a pond and filled it with water from the river, you would have been able to fish turtles from that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 11:56:06 am »

As far as punishment goes, I would catch some turtles and assign them to a cage with a lever linked to it, in an arena.  Draft Turtle and station him in the arena.  Save and quit, and mod the turtle entry to make them size 2 normal critters, with a normal bite attack, and [liKES_FIGHTING].  Reopen the game, lock the arena door, and pull the lever.  After the fight is over, mod them back into harmless vermin.  I think that will work.

If he dies, he gets a turtle-shaped tomb.  If he lives, he stays in the military as a wrestler and is outfitted with turtle shell armor (made from the slain turtles from the arena), and is sent out first to deal with the next siege.  And then the turtle-shaped tomb.

If he survives that, he's clearly redeemed himself by sheer awesomeness.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:58:37 am by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 11:57:58 am »

Does he like fish sticks?  ;D

Anyway, if you need a simple semiautomatic caging device, here it is, almost a simpliest one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 12:20:56 pm »

Don't listen to Sphalerite.  You have to get your pound of flesh, regardless of whether anyone actually owes you one.

Does he have any friends, lovers, kids?

Make a labyrinth, with lever-activated retracting bridges that kids pull constantly every ten tiles or so, making it difficult to reach the end.  If he falls from a bridge make a path that leads back to the entrance.  The catch is that the labyrinth is slowly filling with magma.  Put a lever at the end and give him the task to pull the lever (Since he's the only person with access to it, he should get the job)

Here's the fun part.  Find someone he really cares about (Preferably a wife or kid, maybe his whole family) and put them in a room adjacent to the lever chamber.  Put a window so he can see them.  If he survives the labyrinth and pulls the lever, it closes a floodgate in his chamber, sealing him into the lever room.  It also opens a floodgate below his chamber, diverting the magma that was attacking him into his loved ones' room.

If he doesn't make it to the end, he dies.  If he does make it, he burns his family to death and is locked into a small room with nothing but that fact to keep him company.  Win/win.

Oh, you wanted to make him useful?  I dunno, maybe the magma could somehow flow to smelters.

EDIT:  Just in case it wasn't clear, his imprisonment in the lever chamber should last forever.  He should still be in there years after the fortress has  crumbled to its end.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:24:16 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 01:54:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You are... evil...   :D

Anyways, I know people have probably already said this but to make sure you always have shells/bones/skulls for your moody dwarves, make a refuse pile inside that only accepts bones, shells, and skulls and set it to take from your main refuse stockpile. Then any dwarves without a job will run to your stockpile and haul any shells, bones and skulls safely inside. I lost quite a few dwarves before I learned how to do that.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 03:42:58 pm »

regardless is it is Turtle's fault or not, a truly Dwarfy fortress master will punish any bearded bastard that displeases him in the slightest with out hesitation.

My opinion on how to punish this guy? I prefer irony rather then complex traps.

carp. you may not have any on your map, but if you can bear cheating a little to see this dwarf  punished like he should be, get yourself some carp and make him fish near it, then giggle as he is dragged into the water and devoured by the creator Armok himself crafted in his own image.

"oh look! its got his beard! hes pulling! aw.. it looks like it ripped it of..oh! he slipped! in he goes!"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:44:41 pm by AceOne »
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 04:13:48 pm »

The problem with lots of the idead is that they will involve killing turtle, which will prevent him from suffering enough.

I would recommend the following: Build a retracting bridge 10 tiles long (perhaps two end to end). At the end of the bridge, build a lever that is linked to this bridge. Underneath the bridge(s), there should be a drop of about 5 z levels - enough to injure him, but not kill him. Make sure that the path to this level has a pressure plate on it to reactivate the bridge(s), so when he gets better he'll go straight back to the lever.

Alternatively, you can do something else. Build him a hut outside the entrance to your fort. It should look like the following:

M=magma
W=water
/=window
_=channel

/M/_ /M/_
   WW
He would live out the rest of his life in a 2x2 room - One square of it would be a grate over a water source, and the other three would be a farm plot, where he can grow his own food. The magma is symbolic of his eternal burning in hell. THe glass windows are so any hostiles or animals outside scare him. The channels on the outside of the construction are to avoid building destroyers destroying the window.

Alternatively, you can encase his entire family inside. All his offspring will be trapped inside for all their life. Although they should increase in numbers at a rate of about one a year, the limited food source means that if the numbers get too large, some will die off, providing bad thoughs and a miasma. Ideally, you want turtle to be constantly depressed, but not so depressed as to off himself. If any dwarves in the fort get involved with the offspring of turtle, then they can be placed into the construction my means of restracting bridge, so turtle can have his grandchildren subjected to the cell.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 07:13:00 pm »

I would have to vote for walling him in with a pond and enough room for a fishery.  Let him catch & eat turtles for the rest of his life.

Other option:
get some nobles.
Any time a noble makes a demand, turn off that skill on ALL other dwarves and enable it on Turtle
Insure that he can't fulfill the demand.
(let him be punished for EVERYONES mistakes - rename him ScapeGoat)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 08:06:01 pm »

regardless is it is Turtle's fault or not, a truly Dwarfy fortress master will punish any bearded bastard that displeases him in the slightest with out hesitation.

My opinion on how to punish this guy? I prefer irony rather then complex traps.

carp. you may not have any on your map, but if you can bear cheating a little to see this dwarf  punished like he should be, get yourself some carp and make him fish near it, then giggle as he is dragged into the water and devoured by the creator Armok himself crafted in his own image.

"oh look! its got his beard! hes pulling! aw.. it looks like it ripped it of..oh! he slipped! in he goes!"
dang so a in game version of this is a noble? who might send a dwarf off to be hammered for failing to get his whelms even if it doesn't exist on the map.
dang talk about meta.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 08:36:44 pm »

It fits. Anyone who names a dwarf after themselves (succession games, etc) will always bling out their "own" accommodations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5