Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demented Moody Glassmaker  (Read 875 times)

Quixote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demented Moody Glassmaker
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:03:23 am »

So I've got this glassmaker. Got a fey mood, and I have a magma glass furnace, but he won't go there. Just tools around the dining hall, being moody. Really throws a bad vibe in parties.

I don't want him to die. Can someone help me figure out how to get him to claim the furnace?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demented Moody Glassmaker
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:06:09 am »

There is some stupid bug that causes moody dwarves to prefer one type of smelter/furnace/whatever and will only take that one furnace.So get a regular smelter built and get some charcoal.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:07:08 am »

from what I hear they don't actually use fuel when they make their artifact, even with the non-magma workshop
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:09:04 am »

from what I hear they don't actually use fuel when they make their artifact, even with the non-magma workshop
Whoops, forgot that.
Also, if the glassmaker has been babbling in your dining hall for a while, get some dogs or soldiers over there quick.

Quixote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:43:25 am »

Hoy, that's funny. I've heard of the twerps rejecting regular buildings once magma was in, but not the reverse. Thanks guys!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 11:38:54 am »

Hoy, that's funny. I've heard of the twerps rejecting regular buildings once magma was in, but not the reverse. Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's a funny bug/feature/we're-not-really-quite-sure.  Keeping your old non-magma buildings around for this purpose sometimes helps.

But on the topic of glassmaking...if you have magma up and running anyway, I strongly recommend having a regular furnace or two set to collect sand on repeat.  Bonus, if you have no fuel (that isn't forbidden) in the fortress, you can still use work orders.  They'll just get cancelled at the normal furnaces for not having fuel and eventually get carried out at the magma furnaces.  Interestingly, they don't cancel your repeat collect sand jobs, either; they just delay them.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »

with 20-30 glassmakers (building my giant class pyramid), I found that 0% of them will use the magma glass works for moods.  100% use the non-magma (and as was pointed out, they don't need fuel for moods).

The other odd thing I do - I set each glassmaker to his own building (designate the building to the dwarf) and I make them carry their own sand.  Before doing this, I constantly got messages about no sand available.