Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New civ/race genning issues  (Read 1459 times)

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
New civ/race genning issues
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:43:00 pm »

[EDIT]The issue is with the creature entry, upon further testing, but I still cannot find said issue... Creature entry has not been changed, as of yet, and nothing shows in the errorlogs (all that shows in the errorlog is the minweaponsize for the drakish club). The drakelings themselves will not spawn. It seems there is nothing wrong with the civ entry.[/EDIT]

I have been developing this civilization race for some time, now, and only recently have I come across the issue of them not spawning at all. I have checked the raws to no end. If I could get some help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. I thank you beforehand.

creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Civilization entry
Items (each in their respective locations, of course):
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:17:25 pm by shadowsofwhite »
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: New civ/race genning issues
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:56:28 pm »

Try turning the BIOME_SUPPORT values down to 1 and 2 instead of 3 and 5 I had that problem with my New race too, 1 and 2 are good enough, basicly what I think you have is that your race needs a huge amount of its support biomes, lol lower their standards try that. Hopefully that will work

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:43:50 am »

Tested, and even added additional starting biomes, and still nothing. I even checked legends mode, just to see if they were dying off early (of which they are not).

I thank you for the suggestion.

Any other suggestions?
Dev-status:

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:51:57 am »

You could try changing [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE] and [liKES_SITE] to something other than ruin, like cave.  For best results you may want to include the same type of site in a [TOLERATES_SITE].

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:57:40 am »

That really has nothing to do with the issue at hand, for future knowledge. The civ needs to be able to spawn before site types even matter. I have had civs without [liKES_SITE:*] at all, and instead had only [TOLERATES_SITE:*] entries, which lead to the default sites (ruins, for knowledge) being nearly abandoned, and cities of other cultures flooded with immigrants from said nation.

[EDIT]The issue is with the creature entry, upon further testing, but I still cannot find said issue... Creature entry has not been changed, as of yet, and nothing shows in the errorlogs (all that shows in the errorlog is the minweaponsize for the drakish club)[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:35:00 am by shadowsofwhite »
Dev-status:

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:39:34 am »

I didn't know that ruins were a valid default site type, thanks for the tip.

You said the problem was recent.  Did you change the biome tokens before they stopped spawning?  ANY_DESERT includes freezing deserts, ANY_OCEAN includes the Arctic type.  Could NOT_FREEZING be in conflict with those? 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 02:28:58 am »

Ahem. What is [NOT_FREEZING]? It's better to remove all obvious errors before you try to bugfix. Just an advice :).

Errorlog.txt is your friend.

Also, are they in your default creature and entity files? May it be that you've put them in separate files and forgot to fix the header for one of those?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 02:38:33 am »

Actually, such has never caused issue in the past, and appears to have saved said civs many times over by preventing them from spawning in areas which freeze (due to that the race will freeze to death). I have no verification of this actually working like this, but I would like to know if it actually did work like this, or if there was such a way to make this function possible, due to the occasional civ spawn on a glacier.

[NOT_FREEZING] designates any biome that does not freeze. The entry is not in both, and has historically worked well for me (in 40d*).

Anywhoo... Such is not the problem either. The creatures themselves will not spawn (as which I have edited into the first post). I cannot find anything wrong with the creature raws, and am still testing, extensively, though I seem to be overlooking something. Extra eyes are always helpful.
Dev-status:

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

Actually, such has never caused issue in the past, and appears to have saved said civs many times over by preventing them from spawning in areas which freeze (due to that the race will freeze to death). I have no verification of this actually working like this, but I would like to know if it actually did work like this, or if there was such a way to make this function possible, due to the occasional civ spawn on a glacier.

[NOT_FREEZING] designates any biome that does not freeze. The entry is not in both, and has historically worked well for me (in 40d*).

Anywhoo... Such is not the problem either. The creatures themselves will not spawn (as which I have edited into the first post). I cannot find anything wrong with the creature raws, and am still testing, extensively, though I seem to be overlooking something. Extra eyes are always helpful.

Instead of arrogantly brushing off someone's help, you might actually look at your own errorlog.txt.

The errorlog.txt generated from the information which you provided says quite distinctly:

Unrecognized Creature Token: NOT_FREEZING

In your creature definition you have:

[NOT_FREEZING]

What you should have is:

[BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]

Correct this error, and voila!  Your drakelings appear in the world.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 05:15:47 pm »

I did not intend to sound arrogant. My appologies.

Seems that I have removed said [NOT_FREEZING] tag, for experimentation anyhow...

Appologies.

And I did check the errorlogs, where all that shows up is a failed tag on a weapon that still seems to work just fine... I will edit the creature raw on here, for clarification, just to make sure (and double check).

Thank you anyhow :-\

[edit] I believe I have discovered the issue, and it was probably the most mundane thing possible...

I altered the start of the entry to two random colours that aren't supposed to work, rather than the usual:

[TILE:'D'][COLOR:46:139:87]
   [GLOWTILE:'"'][GLOWCOLOR:255:36:0]

both of which dont achieve the results desired, or any results at all, for that matter, but DO allow my drakelings to spawn. Is this a bug? have the colour codings changed suddenly? Bizarre.

I thank you all for your time, and I will continue to wonder at the issue there seems to be with colour, but I am happy that they will actually work (even though they will be the colour of the ground they stand on, when unskilled).

Thank you, again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:39:03 pm by shadowsofwhite »
Dev-status:

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 08:50:15 pm »

Colours are not RGB, as far as I know. There is a better explanation here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Color
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »

Well, I am not at all sure what happened (even through constant consultation to the DFwiki), but I changed the colours to:

[COLOR:46:139:87]
[GLOWTILE:'"'][GLOWCOLOR:255:36:0]

which allowed the drakelings to spawn, and then I changed the colours BACK to:

[COLOR:2:0:0]
[GLOWTILE:'"'][GLOWCOLOR:6:0:1]

and for some reason, it continues to work!

I have checked the raws for both entries, and I can find no discernable difference, and yet somehow, it still acts differently. Bizarre...

I love the DFwiki, though... It has been so helpful!

Thanks everybody! :3
Dev-status:

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 01:39:21 am »

Glad you got it working.   :D

Regarding the error log reporting the [NOT_FREEZING] tag, the wiki says,
Tokens no longer require BIOME_ in front of them.  v0.27.173.38a

So it appears the wiki is outdated regarding this.  Ack, my mistake.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:36:12 am by SethCreiyd »

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 02:01:56 am »

[BIOME_ and [BIOME: are two different things.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.