Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poles as one way ropes?  (Read 1325 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poles as one way ropes?
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »

I think vertical bars should be able to be slid down, and not climbed up, or else only very slowly climbed up. The only reason I want to do this is because it'd look kinda cool, but I'm sure others can think of more practical uses.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Re: Poles as one way ropes?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:39:01 pm »

Poles will be added when either the Fire Department or Prostitution are enabled.

I think it would be a useful way to move part of your military behind or in the middle of an enemy squad, however.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:01:35 am »

I think it would be a very cool thing,  the current code has checks to see if a region is inaccessible and one way paths make that check unreliable. So that means that it's probably going to be awhile before poles get added.
The great game of Warlocks!

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 02:36:44 am »

So, a ladder than only goes down. Seems very useful to me. Could use it to make a KILLER (metaphorically AND literally) maze.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:29:03 am »

Tsk, tsk... asking for one-way ropes before we have two-way ropes.  Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here.

On a more serious note...it kindof has limited uses.  Granted the dwarven bucket brigade would be helpful, it involves making dwarves care about being on fire. :D

Maze of Galius?  Sure, we can use it to kill things with a maze, but we can do that just fine now.  I'm not sure Toady would implement a feature with such a limited use.  We need more ideas to make it worthwhile.

The problem here is, as mentioned, the pathing doesn't like doing weird things and it's tricky to make it work with the object, rather than the pathing.  Also note that people still can't figure out how to use ramps... they'll never figure out poles. :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 02:41:02 pm »

The problem here is, as mentioned, the pathing doesn't like doing weird things and it's tricky to make it work with the object, rather than the pathing.  Also note that people still can't figure out how to use ramps... they'll never figure out poles. :D

There is technically a way to make a 1-way-ramp, currently.  It's not so much as one-way, but pathfinding has difficulty pathing the backwards way through it (I checked, a dwarf stuck on the "out" side will have to think for several (no lag) minutes before finding a path backwards).

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:18:49 pm »

and a down directional iron spiked rope   ;D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:29:39 pm »

It would be awesome for getting your military to places very quickly, so they could deploy anywhere on the map from your meeting zone within seconds, but any invaders must go the long way through the main gates. Your angry, drunken axedorfs would instead slide down poles from the walls of your fortress to meet the goblins for glorious slaughter.