Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: He is in a constant state of internal rage  (Read 4340 times)

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: He is in a constant state of internal rage
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 03:18:42 pm »

this raises an intriguing question.

come next version, dwarves will inherit traits from their parents.
if you have a fort with many a tantrum spiral, will your dwarves evolve to be more hating and angry, and less social, because all social dwarves die out, leaving only those with advantageous traits alive?

So Dwarf Fortress could simulate natural selection too. My admiration to this game grows every day.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 03:54:25 pm »

So Dwarf Fortress could simulate natural selection social Darwinism too. My admiration to this game grows every day.

Fixed that for you.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 04:23:07 pm »

The game has come so far as to simulate dominant and recessive genes with the update.

Albino animals? Also, for creatures with short lifespans, such as the previous chasm creatures (and maybe kobolds?), I wonder if there will be some serious inbreeding or weeding out of certain traits.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 04:43:09 pm »

I thought social Darwinism was the belief that as the superior culture/race/class you have the right to abuse/oppress the inferior people, for the sake of improving the human race. Charity just slows down advancement of the human race by allowing those to live who should help themselves.
e.g. the fact that you're on the board of directors of a large corporation proves you're a better human being than some destitute single mother. If she was worth helping, she would have been able to get out of the slums and do something with her life.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 04:48:38 pm »

I would believe social darwinism would be the way society is acting right now, that is, whatever people and trends are surviving today are surviving because they are doing whatever is necessary to stay alive, whether they understand it or not.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 05:18:44 pm »

I was just thinking that natural selection is a process, where social Darwinism is a philosophy.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 12:40:36 am »

the first fort i made that was really huge and had hfs had a mayor with this trait. she was my original expedition leader/broker, and i had her legendary in like 5 different proffessions. when i released the hfs all her cats were hunting in the lower levels and got slaughtered, along with quite a few dwarves due to my miscalculations.

she tantrummed over and over again for a straight year, getting unhappy thoughts for killing dwarves who came to talk to her and a few of her remaining cats. she also took down and killed several members of the fortress guard, who were wearing steel/adamantium plate and chain and were mostly legendary wrestlers. when they finally got her chained up she finally committed suicide by attacking one of my elite military hammerdwarves, who hit her back with his adamantium hammer and turned her into chunky salsa.

she also got a fairly respectable skill in throwing, and destroyed quite a few buildings. it was quite astounding. never had a problem with her till that point, she was a great mayor, she occasionally got happy thoughts from yelling at people and never made any annoying demands.

making such dwarves into military may not be the best idea, if they do tantrum more easily and often, they are likely to cause an amazing amount of damage. an unarmed dwarf beating several trained and armoured wrestlers to death is not something i ever expected to see.

there are risks if you are trying to train a thrower though. once the mayor had killed enough of her cats and one of her friends during a tantrum she graduated to insane shortly before she got hammered.
Pages: 1 2 [3]