Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: He is in a constant state of internal rage  (Read 4342 times)

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
He is in a constant state of internal rage
« on: January 17, 2010, 09:33:00 pm »

Obviously I made him my expedition leader. Recently saw another trait I've never seen before as well. It said something like "Doesn't mind working outdoors occasionally". What are some other character traits that you don't see very often?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: He is in a constant state of internal rage
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:49:03 pm »

It's my understanding that the "likes working outdoors" / "Doesn't mind working outdoors" / etc. indicate how cave-adapted your dwarves are.

Haven't seen the internal rage trait before though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »

Different personality traits have different titles. In looking to make a (rediculously violent) race earlier today, I was looking at personality traits so I could force my race to be very short-tempered, and so I remember seeing that particular epitaph on the wiki. Specifically, if a creature's Anger rating is at 91-100 of 100, they will be given that trait. Dwarves, I believe, have a normal Anger rating, so the farther away from 50 the value is the rarer, so constant states of internal rage are very rare amongst them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:04:57 pm »

Does the "anger rating" impact anything as far as gameplay go? Or is it merely for flavor? (given, that might change with all of Toady's personality changes in the next version).
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »

Personality effects are kind of fuzzy at the moment. Nobody really knows.
Quote from: DFwiki
A dwarf with the description, 'likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather' is no more resistant to cave adaptation than a regular dwarf is - in fact, said dwarf may even have cave adaptation.
It may determine how unhappy they get from being caught in the rain, but again, nobody really knows.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:55:15 pm »

They do seem impact dwarf-to-dwarf interactions, determining who falls in love and who forms grudges.

I fully expect that dwarfs with high anger levels will be much more likely to go into a berserk rage when extremely sad, where one with low anger might be more likely to just jump in the magma moat
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 05:04:32 am »

I'd expect those with higher anger levels to actually be more happy typically =P

Assuming they form grudges with most anyone seeing as it'd be rarer for another dwarf to see things their way then as I recall they won't be vulnerable to tantrum sprials induced by the loss of friend (primarily because they haven't got any, or just less to lose in the first place), in fact in a tantrum spiral, the death of grudges would make these angry dwarves quite pleased I think. As long as you have other ways to boost happiness such as that legendary dining room.

Though less friends does mean less sources of happiness for them =P

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 05:32:43 am »

If you check Dwarf Therapist, you can see a dwarf's personality percents (check the militay tab) - I think I've seen the internal rage one maybe once, but I'd guess it would be the extreme form of the Rage trait. Probably a score of very close to 100, assuming 50 is neutral and 0 is never angry ever.

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 06:10:54 am »

this raises an intriguing question.

come next version, dwarves will inherit traits from their parents.
if you have a fort with many a tantrum spiral, will your dwarves evolve to be more hating and angry, and less social, because all social dwarves die out, leaving only those with advantageous traits alive?
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 06:17:52 am »

Those saying that dwarves with high internal rage live longer forget that they are probably more likely to fly off their handles and assault someone than average dwarves - that is, if this trait has any in-game effect I'd guess it's a dramatically raised chance of tantrumming when unhappy. Perhaps even tantrumming when _not_ unhappy, or getting positive thoughts from tantrumming! (Tantrumming is an awful, ugly, dwarven word). That kind of dwarf wouldn't have a very good survival rate in any fortress with a guard.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 06:19:21 am »

If he's one of the starting seven, though, it'd be a hilarious way to start a hermit challenge.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:58:40 am »

I heard once that those that anger easier will throw tantrums more often, thus preventing them from actually going insane (once they reach, say unhappy, they throw a tantrum to bounce back to fine, never actually getting miserable).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 10:33:43 pm »

I think in non-trance creatures the anger trait also influences their berserk trances, which is why goblins have a high anger level average.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 07:13:37 am »

the more angry one is , the better they attack , i had a "internal rage" hammer dwarf that knocked a random goblin far enough to seem impossible to pull off , its ACROSS THE GOD DAMNED MAP , from south , the gob flew all the way to the north , i also seen angry swordsdwarfs chop people open like they were paper

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 07:26:35 am »

the more angry one is , the better they attack , i had a "internal rage" hammer dwarf that knocked a random goblin far enough to seem impossible to pull off , its ACROSS THE GOD DAMNED MAP , from south , the gob flew all the way to the north , i also seen angry swordsdwarfs chop people open like they were paper
I've seen dwarves that didn't have those attributes, even ones that had the opposites (ie, doesn't feel emotions or something) do the same. Hammerputting is nothing new in the world of dwarven sport. Neither is the game "lets see how many limbs I can hack off before it dies". Or the amalgamation of both as practiced by axedwarves.
Pages: [1] 2 3