Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Motivation and Procrastination  (Read 21204 times)

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
Motivation and Procrastination
« on: January 17, 2010, 09:29:18 pm »

Hey there, might ramble a bit, but I'm tired today.

For a good long while, I've had motivation problems, for the most part I don't know why, but it might have something to do with how I'm treated at school. It hasn't mattered that much in my life, I'm a "gifted child" (which is why I'll have graduated high school by 16), and until now have done well in my subjects with minimal without studying, but now I'm coming across a problem.

By the looks of things (going into year 11), this year might require quite a bit of effort (if not year 11, year 12 for certain), that, combined with a fledgling interest in art since about August '09, means I need to get my shit together and start doing the things I need to do and pursuing the interests I want to pursue. This definitely IS a problem, because I pretty much lack the ability to motivate myself, and I'm starting to really doubt my future, and it PISSES ME OFF.

Now what do I want from you guys?... Well, first thing's first I need motivation, some things to remember to drive me on a little more, you could rip my personality apart for all I care, I need some sense slapped into me to be honest. Second thing, I need advice, how to generate motivation for myself, how to get myself going.

Also, I have a procrastination problem, though there's another topic on that, I thought I should add it in here.

Anyway, thanks guys, I really need this, I don't want to become a shame to myself or my family, any help is really appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:28:56 pm by Red Fortune »
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Motivation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »

Well. Are you depressed? Literally, i mean. Alot of anti-depressants out there work as motivators, as well as anti-depressants.

And if you don't mind me asking, what disability do you have? Alot of times that has to do with the problem, but meh.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:21:35 pm »

I've been depressed quite a few times before, and it's a problem with both sides of the family, I haven't been diagnosed with it if that's what you mean.

Disability? Not really, except for being incredibly shy to the point where I often panic when talking to people I don't know, and being really socially and physically awkward doesn't help that, and that's why I'm treated like shit at school.
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:55:57 am »

Well then
I recommend going to see a therapist and getting a referall or somesuch to the doctor for anti-depressants, as well as seeing if you have aspergers syndrome, since what your talking about in your second sentence sounds like anxiety[at least to me]

I have aspergers syndome(And no, i'm not a fail self-diagnosed asperger) and i don't mean to sound so OVARDRAMATIC, but ye know, it's just a hunch if you have aspergers syndrome or not-I'm no professional.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:20:31 am »

Thanks for that, not exactly what I was expecting in response but it's all good.

It's a mixture of anxiety and fear of noise and obnoxiousness etc, and fear of being shunned, if that helps.

Anyway, on to motivation then?

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:54:37 am »

Well, I have the same problem. I'm smart, and I procrastinate a lot. I'll graduate when I'm 17, by the way.

With being incredibly shy, do you remember being shy when you were in elementary school? Not having someone to talk to in RL is a bitch.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:21:30 pm »

It's a mixture of anxiety and fear of noise and obnoxiousness etc, and fear of being shunned, if that helps.
Yea, the whole noise thing is exactly like most aspergers when they are young

But there's treatment i mean, i went to physical therapy for reflexes and stuff and it really helped. Sure it can be grueling, but now that i look back it was for the better.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:26 pm »

16, going into college next year.

I grew up being told by my parents that I had aspergers syndrome, and believed it until I realized that I didn't. I've been homeschooled up until two years ago. Upon going to high school I found that I could talk to other people, it's just that other people don't want to talk to me. When you are smarter than other people, those people tend to dislike you.

My motivation is that I'll be the first member of my family (father's side) to graduate college. Hell, I'll be the first one to go to college.

If you want motivation I suggest you keep looking forward, and see the things you could achieve.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 08:07:56 pm »

I don't really care much for whatever disorder etc. I may or may not have, I just lack drive.
Psycho, problem is, I don't know what I can I can achieve, or what I want to achieve.

Thanks, both of you.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 01:15:42 am »

Sounds like depression to me. I was almost exactly like that until I started taking meds. Also you have been depressed several times before AND your family has trouble with it... talk to a doc?

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 02:03:55 am »

Eh... If I must, but my doctor has never even brought it up after all these years even after I did some psychological testing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 10:24:43 am »

Talk to your school counselor, they have professional degrees in this stuff.  Asking for advice on the internet never ends well.
Shoes...

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 03:19:25 pm »

Holy crap, you're me in a years time.

I've been in the same situation as you all my life, never had to study, always done great, always get chosen for gifted stuff (trips, competitions etc.). And you have a procrastination problem!

I think the trick to getting motivation is to see, in perspective, how well others do. I've had to motivate myself a few times, mostly for things like learning a programming language or becoming a better model painter and that is the one thing that motivates me time and time again. I'm sure if you look at someone that is in the position you aspire to be in and ten look at your classmates (assuming you're ahead of them) it will show you the way forward and keep you motivated. That's the way it works for me at least.

good luck!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »

*snip*
Thanks buddy, and that's odd, but I'm sure there are millions like us. And most of my school are just.... I can't fathom how... Willingly... stupid (or just unwilling to learn) they are... I hope that will change in the final two school years, but I dunno.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:48:12 pm by Red Fortune »

HollowClown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 06:14:57 pm »

Okay, so I'm a bit older than most of the other posters seem to be, but here's my take on it.  I'm currently 28, was easily the most 'gifted' student in my (small) school, and spent my entire school career feeling unmotivated and not doing very much, or doing very well.

Over ten years later, looking back, I'd say that my problems with motivation weren't quite what I thought.  In retrospect, there were plenty of things that I genuinely cared about.  At the time, I really didn't think so....but ultimately, there's no way my life could have sucked so much if I hadn't cared about things.  If I didn't care, I couldn't have been hurt;  I did care, and I did hurt.

Now, at least for me, high school was the hardest time of my life.  As a student (and a minor), you have almost no control over your life.  There are incredibly strict limits on how you live, what you do, and who you feel that you can be.  I wasn't motivated because none of the options I saw open to me were very appealing;  they all required hard work, in return for things that I simply didn't care about.  If you're feeling like this, it's natural to feel unmotivated;  nobody's motivated to work hard at unpleasant tasks in exchange for unpleasant or meaningless awards.

Now the good news:  life gets much, much better after high school.  You have more options than you think you have.  When you get control over your own life, you can work towards things that actually matter to you, and build a life that you actually want to live.  You will still have to work hard (there's no substitute for that), but it's possible to find work that you actually enjoy, and to actually enjoy the life you get by working.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to spend some time working out what's really important to you.  Find the things that inspire you, the things that you care about.  Ever read a book, or watch a movie, or read a news article, and think "I want to do that/be like that/do something about that"?  Pay attention to those things, because those are the things that can motivate you.

Bear in mind, too, that these things don't necessarily have to relate to academics.  Maybe you want to live in a house on your own, or move to a big city, or live in foreign countries, or date someone interesting.  Maybe you want to go to a specific college, or take a year off before you go to college, or not go to college at all.  These are all valid and important choices, too, and they're things you can begin working towards now.

Anyway, as long as you're still in high school, there's going to be a lot of stupidity that you're going to have to put up with.  There will be classes that can make interesting subjects boring, there will be pointless and repetitive homework assignments, and there's going to be a lot of really surreal social drama.  As an adult you'll have a different set of stupidity  to deal with, although you'll have a bit more control over which crap you deal with.  But as you figure out what you really want to get out of life, you can find a lot of valuable things in the most unlikely places -- even including high school.  And ultimately, once you've got some goals that matter to you, personally, and once you've got a life you can truly enjoy, you'll find that all the stupidity gets a lot easier to deal with.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10