Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Motivation and Procrastination  (Read 21199 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Motivation and Procrastination
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2010, 10:27:26 am »

The first thing I do when I need to complete a long term object (see first year summer exams) is to space studying out in smething I know I can do, so for the last month or so I've been slowly increasing the amount of time I study. Remember doing a straight hour of studying for the hell of it isn't worth it at all unless you can continue working like that for a long time.

Also, procrastination isn't a bad thing at all. Its usually just you trying to convince yourself there are other important things that need to get done first. Procrastinating from doing studying, and ending up playing games, is a really really bad thing. Unless these games help with the project (such as studying or w/e) your trying to do then they're a waste of time.

So advice today I give is: Procrastinate wisely, if you know your going to do it try to do something useful that'll help out over all. For example; the desk you study on is really messy, clean it up. It'll help get you closer to your final goal.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2010, 11:30:15 am »

I too was in gifted studies in school, bored most of the time, I've sort of fallen into places where I worked, could tackle ANY problem given to me IF it fit my desire, never needed to study, tests were easy, etc... But I'm not afraid to talk to people, give speeches, or whatever is required of me on a day to day basis.  This is where we may diverge.

I'm 32.  I procrastinate because it's rewarded me, unjustly at times.  I've fallen into the mindset that if you wait long enough, something will happen and you can ignore it or deal with it when it becomes an issue.  I just filed my last two years of taxes... they owed me money, so no fines.  Most people don't know that and the knowledge of that only encouraged me to wait longer.  I didn't "need" the money, so I didn't file.  Like I said before, I kind of fell into jobs.  Right place, right time.  I'm a full time senior developer for a fortune 100 company.  Pay isn't "awesome" but it's enough for me to enjoy my life.  I get to drive my sports cars (and, erm, sporty cars... '93 Z24 Cavalier -> '02 Pontiac GP GTP -> '04 RX8 -> '08 MX5.)

The only "problem" (not for me, for others looking at my life) is that I've been single for the past 12(?) years.  It's been so long I don't remember what month it ended.  No, not single and dating either.  I just haven't ever asked anyone out.  Go back to the "things always worked out" mentality, and maybe put in a nudge of dislike for the societal normal process of "Guy asks Girl."   My last girlfriend was in college.  She was clinging to me all night at a party and we just took it from there.  Haven't been in a situation where an attractive woman was like that since.  I left college for a job offer and left her behind to finish school.  But it doesn't really bother me.  I'm perfectly happy not having to deal with or worry about someone else in my life.  (Much to my parent's chagrin.  I'm the last of four men in my family tree and so far all I have are nieces to carry on the name.)  But like I said.  I'm happy and that's all that's mattered for me.  I have one "best" friend who's outgoing, otherwise they probably wouldn't be in touch anymore.  I tend to let people contact me or invite me out to do things and not the opposite.  I'm perfectly happy sitting at home, typing away on a forum or watching whatever is on TV.

Sure, I don't fit into the "normal" work my ass off, act stupid trying to get the girl, medicated to the brim, follow all the rules model of citizen.  I don't care though.  It's my life and I've accepted it.  The only concern I've really worried about is getting hurt while I'm alone... and I'll probably procrastinate until that happens and I'll most likely die alone.  I've accepted that as my norm.  Now, some of you are thinking... that's sad, pathetic, etc.  I don't care.  Just because I don't fit the mold of what you think is acceptable, doesn't make me feel any which way different.  If anything, I have less respect for you thinking that I have to meet a set of ideals that are not my own... but that's another rant altogether.

Now, to the OP.  You probably have some innate fear of such events happening.  So I don't know if you are as far into the procrastination as I am, and it seems like you are trying to avoid living a life as I do, but I have to wonder if you are doing it because it's what you want to do or because it's what you are told to do.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2010, 06:05:22 am »

I'm back :)
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2010, 07:42:24 am »

The planets have to align right or something for me to be active and outgoing. Getting a normal schedule down helps, and so does easing into new activities.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2010, 08:06:57 am »

I'm back :)

Hey!  How goes everything?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2010, 08:25:15 am »

Grrrr!! 5th attempt! Net is acting oddly.

I'm fine, thanks :)

Lots of computer troubles, all resolved now, though, I'm happy to be online again.

I've been getting A's in math, too :)
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2010, 08:26:54 am »

I've been getting A's in math, too :)

Ooh, Vector is proud of you :D  Very good!  That's an accomplishment.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2010, 08:29:56 am »

Yay! I've been pushing myself to commit all that I've been learning to long-term memory and to actually UNDERSTAND things before I do that, and I think it's helping a lot.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

Are you seizing the power of knowlege in your hands, that you may forge a better, brighter future?

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2010, 03:38:14 pm »

*Skyfist* YES.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2010, 07:45:37 pm »

Good!

Now turn your life around and start studying for Cisco and linux exams so you can get a well paying job and still play with text interfaces most of the day, just like DF!

I  have to tell you, tantrum mode in the data center does not go well.  For the people that own the data center, anyway. 
igless

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2010, 11:56:34 pm »

*Skyfist* YES.

Edit:

Recruit allies to build your cause.
You will destroy school (with knowlege and powerful ninja-technique)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:55:27 pm by eerr »

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
igless

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2010, 01:01:15 am »

:o

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2010, 02:28:50 pm »

how about now?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10