Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Motivation and Procrastination  (Read 21232 times)

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Motivation
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 05:31:58 pm »

the whole thread starts to positively radiate ego. Not really much humility here at all,

Except for you, oh humble one?

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 03:26:46 pm »

Guys, lets not start a flame war, please.

I'm going to be doing LOTS of drawing these holidays, yay.

I actually made a schedule, in haiku form, that I'm currently adhering to, are schedules a good thing? Or do they restrict you? I'll have a problem going in between of sticking by it minute by minute and not following it, because if I start to bend the rules I always find a way to break what I'm trying to do.

I'm thinking that I should definitely pick up my act, because if it is the case half of the people said, and I need to knuckle down to get ready for uni and pick some goals, all well and good, I'll be ready... And if it's as the other half said, and it gets easier and I'll have more control, it won't be all for naught, I'll be more disciplined and productive, always a plus, right?  ;)

Well, I'm still lacking a little in motivation, but I'm handling it, I'll let you know if anything else comes up; thanks a tonne guys.

Also, anybody else is free to ask questions, of me or others.
And: I HEREBY DECLARE THIS THREAD AS ALSO BEING RELEVANT TO PROCRASTINATION!!! YARR!!!
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 05:40:20 pm »

I actually made a schedule, in haiku form, that I'm currently adhering to, are schedules a good thing? Or do they restrict you? I'll have a problem going in between of sticking by it minute by minute and not following it, because if I start to bend the rules I always find a way to break what I'm trying to do.

Ah, I can help you with this.  I've had a lot of good and bad experiences with schedules (similar issues based on strictness vs. freedom), but nowadays I mostly make myself a loose framework of roundabout when things should be done, and alter it based on my energy level and so on.  The general idea is that there's some things that must be done at a certain time every day, and there's other things that can be moved around.

Usually, I make a schedule for the entire week on Sunday evening or something, which tells me about the things that have specific times at which they must be done every day.  Then I make two more lists: one which has the things that have to be done at some point in the week (usually homework, chores/tasks, taking walks, socializing), and the other that has things I'd like to get done but aren't critical (reading or writing, exploring a certain non-required textbook, playing games).  As I go through the week, I fill in more data on what goes where.

I think the main trouble is one of maturity and interest.  If there isn't some reason why you're really dying to study your subject, then you're not going to study and try as hard as you need to to become skilled.  You'll worm out of it.  So maybe you should really look for something you like, and do that.  There are phases of your life where you really do need to just sit around doing nothing--I know I've spent weeks doing nothing but playing a particular game, or reading manga, while there have been other instances when I've done nothing but work for extremely long periods of time.

I think one learns how to stop procrastinating once one has met a situation which makes it impossible to really procrastinate.  Once your procrastination has given you real negative consequences once or twice, it gets much easier to stop.

Now, as far as getting motivation goes, I'm not entirely sure.  I just reread the OP and rethought the question, and... well, if you were a math student, then I'd tell you to get a "well-motivated textbook," i.e. one that starts with many little steps that are easy to grasp and turns them into large, fascinating, and unusual things.  In this case, I'd suggest that you try to find a teacher of some skill and "the right quality," which is a little bit hard to define.  What you want is someone who is a complete master of the given subject and absolutely unforgiving of imperfection, but understands her students.  When you're in college, this will often be the professor that everyone hates and thinks has unrealistic expectations (there's only usually about one or two per department)--but if you're interested in becoming great, they're the ones you need to seek out.  They will give you more motivation than you could possibly ever want.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
Re: Motivation and Procrastination
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 01:52:23 am »

Thanks, will keep in mind.

Which reminds me, I need bloody pressure, someone behind my back to shout "HEY, YOU'RE NOT DRAWING, OR STUDYING"....

I'm sure people would pay for that opportunity  :D
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 11:32:44 am »

Time schedules are ok.
I never entirely stick to them, but at least I get more work done, than without one.
As long as no one screws it up, in which case I get upset and will do even less work :/

Momentarily my parents are doing that.
Fortunately they will be gone for 4 days, taking my litte brother with them, giving me a timeframe to get most of the work done.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:36:14 am by Mindmaker »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »

Which reminds me, I need bloody pressure, someone behind my back to shout "HEY, YOU'RE NOT DRAWING, OR STUDYING"....
Try posting your drawings on the forum. Like in this thread. I've gotten a lot of motivation for writing this way. Which brings me to...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, about motivation. Of course, simple drawings won't do. You would need something to require a schedule. Like a comic series... By the way...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 01:33:54 pm »

OP: sorry for the derail.  I had to address this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 12:59:48 am »

So, I'm serious about "By the way..." Although I'd think Fortune needs to draw from models. Eh...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 01:11:00 am »

So, I'm serious about "By the way..." Although I'd think Fortune needs to draw from models. Eh...

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 01:46:44 am »

Thanks)
...Discussing own personal issues in someone else's thread on personal issues... Let me be an example for the author of what you shouldn't do. Like, if you're into art but have problems with communication, god forbid you go into art teaching.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 06:31:20 pm »

Try posting your drawings on the forum. Like in this thread. I've gotten a lot of motivation for writing this way.
If you want some, I'll give you my somewhat old ones, I haven't bother uploading new stuff to Photobucket
I started drawing July-August last year.

Anyway, about motivation. Of course, simple drawings won't do. You would need something to require a schedule. Like a comic series... By the way...

Possible, not sure though.
I only just realized that life drawing is essential in the past few weeks.
I do have 400 septillion ideas for sci-fi storylines, but I have no idea how I'd manage. I'm decently talented with creative writing, but it's spontaneous most of the time (e.g. winning the mandatory school-wide poetry competition with poem written in 20-30 minutes before the deadline using every form of imagery I could think of and pack into the lines while still sounding and flowing well.).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:32:27 pm by Red Fortune »

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 11:13:30 pm »

Just felt motivated to draw something, and the results were pleasing.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2010, 09:15:45 am »

Uh... That's what my inconspicuous "By the way..." meant:
I'm currently writing a couple of stories in the script format for the Script Frenzy thread, and since they're probably not going to be filmed, I got an idea to make a comic out of them. They've got medieval fantasy themes, and your art - it's fantastic, by the way - is in my mind very fitting.
The first story, if you wish to sample it, although, it's quite flawed, and the dialogue probably will have to be rewritten entirely.

An afterthought: the art is fantastic, but I don't think, at least where I live, it's right for an art course, more like digital design. However, here in Russia stuff is done differently than with other humans.

Edit: to make my proposition a bit easier to handle, the stories are of four people becoming adventurers in a world, loosely based on DF. In the next story I intend to have a grotesque demon, that's where I found your pictures to fit well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:29:27 am by Supermikhail »

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2010, 06:49:22 pm »

*snip*
Thanks, and it seems interesting... Will get to reading the whole thing tonight.

So did you want me to draw anything for it? Or only for the next installment?

EDIT: I just read it, well done! Interesting story here, if only a little cliche. I'd be glad to do some drawing for it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:09:34 pm by Red Fortune »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2010, 02:44:03 am »

Upon your last picture, I thought that the first story wasn't epic/interesting enough (all old boring people, city landscape :) ), but if you feel motivated, draw something for it. By the way, as we are on the topic of motivation, I thought we were talking about a whole comic, not some drawings ;). You know, with weekly issues. Although I'll probably need to rewrite it for the comic format. It'll probably have to wait until the end of April... Hm, and that's the end of the term. You've got exams? Or is it the college (preparation, whatever) time?... Ah, just reread the OP, seems not.
So, what do you say?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:51:32 am by Supermikhail »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10