Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Automated fortresses are possible  (Read 6592 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automated fortresses are possible
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 09:48:14 pm »

If you set up coffins, that'd lessen the blow of the dwarves eventually dying. Thing is, coffins get used up over time, so it wouldn't be totally automated.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:05:02 pm »

How do you make dwarves take stone from one stockpile to the other?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:54 pm »

Thanks for the Real Wagon link Alrenous, reading it now. 

Divert a water source to make a mist-producing waterfall in the 1x1 meeting room.  The mood benefits from mist stack forever.  I tried a similar fortress once, and found that after a few decades of standing in mist left a dwarf incapable of ever being anything but ecstatic, even living off cold plump helmet and sleeping on stone.

I'll check that out.  I've never made one (on purpose).  I just hate to lose the FPS, but then again, FPS is less of an issue when you're not actively watching it (:

Maybe a failed mood or mandate that caused it?

Edit: Disregard that, I missed the >Several real-time months< part.

Did any dwarves die of old age in there? I hear immigrants have randomized ages so they might have bought the farm in those 66 years.

I think I lost a few immigrants that way.  Before I implemented the Bridge of Death to atomsmash them.  An artifact wooden earring was eventually created out of my precious wood reserve and some stone.  It has a cute picture of a dog travelling, and is called "Womanmerged the Dour Sneer".  That apparently satisfied the artifact limit for my fort size.

No mandates since all immigrants are atom-smashed, including nobles.

No way to tell if any died of old age, but at least one of my original 7 is in the 9 survivors of the latest tantrum, possibly because I left him training wrestling.

How do you keep goblins out while letting migrants in?
EDIT: Oh, all the children are offspring.
But how do you have the stone stockpiles take from each other?

I did have an idea for letting in immigrants, not sure what is was, and I don't think it was foolproof enough.

The trick was to set up three stone stockpiles.  Two stockpiles can't feed from each other, but three can be set up in a loop.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »

How so? I don't usually fiddle around with multiple stockpiles too much, or any of those doo-hickey options.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »

Oh, just select the stockpile with q, then t for "take from stockpile", then select the stockpile to take from and press enter.  Have stockpile 1 take from 2, 2 take from 3, 3 take from 1.  The game doesn't allow two stockpiles to take directly from each other at the same time.

I like "take from stockpile", it has a lot of uses.  Like, you can have a favored dwarf's personal food stockpile (which only accepts his favorite food) take from a main food stockpile.  Haulers will take his food to his quarters for him (:
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 10:34:05 pm »

When I built one of these, I solved the problem of selectively letting immigrants inside by building a retracting bridge accessible from the outside and placing a meeting zone on it.  A single tile wide entrance to the bridge had a pressure plate, set to be triggered by citizens only, and linked to the bridge.  Immigrants automatically path to a meeting zone when they enter the map, so they would walk onto the bridge, which would retract and drop them into the fortress.  Goblins ignore meeting zones, and wouldn't trip the pressure plate anyway.  This worked flawlessly for the run of the fortress (a few decades before I got bored and killed them all).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 11:01:37 pm »

Now there's nobles inside. Nobles only make people unhappy. Then again, I don't think nobles can even COME if you're not doing a variety of jobs.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 11:27:15 pm »

Doesn't seeing a lot of death make a dwarf not care so much if his friends die?

Just thinking, you could set up some chained animals ten or so Z-levels above your meeting area and some bridges to drop the puppies/kittens/calves/foals/children from those chained animals to land near the meeting area... short term they'd get bad thoughts from seeing death, long term they'd get the 'doesn't care any more' trait.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 11:54:23 pm »

Setting up the meeting area in the butcher's halls works just as well.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 12:08:25 am »

Butchers only work if you mark animals for slaughtering, which is probably beyond the automation in this thread.

I do like the idea of a meeting area that periodically gets pelted with random animal bits, though. The trick would be making certain that the animals deaths' are visible, without letting the animals land on any dwarves (which would protect them from dying, and leave live animals wandering around the fortress proper).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:38 am »

Have you tried unpauser? It doesn't seem to affect framerate for me, so it might be better than the macro.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 09:15:34 am »

I have designed and tested a fully automated machine for breeding wild animals and periodically dumping excess down a deep pit onto a refuse pile.  This would be an ideal device for a fully automated fortress, as it would generate meat automatically, assuming you have butcher's shops and dwarves with the butcher skill around.  You could also use this device to expose your dwarves to the sight of death.  Drop the animals into the meeting room.  They'll survive the fall, but if you have a lot of war dogs they'll immediately attack and kill the wild animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 10:11:37 am »

I have designed and tested a fully automated machine for breeding wild animals and periodically dumping excess down a deep pit onto a refuse pile.  This would be an ideal device for a fully automated fortress, as it would generate meat automatically, assuming you have butcher's shops and dwarves with the butcher skill around.  You could also use this device to expose your dwarves to the sight of death.  Drop the animals into the meeting room.  They'll survive the fall, but if you have a lot of war dogs they'll immediately attack and kill the wild animals.

Cool!  Is it on the map archive?  I'd like to use it for something... similar.  Not butchery, technically, yet a source of food nonetheless.

Thanks for explaining the immigrant-lock system too, I might include that in my next attempt if I can.
She/they

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »

Cool!  Is it on the map archive?  I'd like to use it for something... similar.  Not butchery, technically, yet a source of food nonetheless.
Not yet.  The design is fairly complex and involves a lot of mechanical linkages.  I'm going to have to put together a post properly documenting the design.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 10:47:14 am »

How does the macro work? It's not working for me...

Pages: 1 [2] 3