Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Microline *shudder*  (Read 9088 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Microline *shudder*
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 05:38:15 pm »

I've never really cared about the color of my stones and usually look for something other than the primary layer stone for furniture and such. Microcline is alright for that.
Large clusters should be made less common or less densely populated to combat their ability to irritate.
I'd like to suggest a more dynamic way of forming the clusters, so that it's not just a single oval-shaped blob. Maybe forcing a 50-60% chance for each tile in that blob to be of the cluster's material and the rest of the percentage to be the layer stone, without changing the placement of small gem clusters and the like within that area? Or letting small tentacles of the material to shoot out from a central point or line? That could all be made into new cluster tags I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:14:16 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 06:45:58 pm »

I love the initial digging of the spinal staircase.

"You've struck Microcline!"
"You've struck Othoclase!"
"You've struck Othoclase!"
"You've struck Mica!"
"You've struck Mica!"

And on the very bottom level, "You've struck Olivine!" which I was actually overjoyed about by comparison. At least olivine has platinum deposits, the rest of the clusters just ruin my fortress plans.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 07:51:12 pm »

I modded amazonite to occur in microcline.
"You've struck Amazonite!"
Makes it worth it.

Moonstone occurs in orthoclase.
Haven't checked the raws to see if that's true or not.
I rarely get orthoclase.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 08:02:53 pm »

heh in my last fortress we used microcline with our catapults, that way mircocline strikes you!
Was the fort called 'Soviet Russia'?
God, if it wasn't so damn late I'd be laughing like hell now! xD

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 08:06:24 pm »

...I like microcline's color.

Sysice, Forum Poster, has been mobbed to death.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 08:08:17 pm »

I've never found this mythical "Microline", myself.  Sounds fascinating, but the way you see people talk about it, you'd think it was insanely common.

Now Microcline, on the other hand, just gets annoying after the first few run-ins.  Orthoclase, too.  I have no idea why feldspars are so common in Dwarf Fortress soil, but there you have it.

In other words, it's spelled "Microcline", not "Microline".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »

Microcline is annoying, but I like orthoclase. I built a 30-story out of orthoclase.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »

I just modded in porcelain and convert any microcline to it.

Luna

• Bay Watcher
  • [AMPHIBIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 08:59:45 pm »

I like to pave the way to my fort with it.  :D I wish you could mod it so that contact with it damaged their eyes.
     I was at a mineral expo a while back. They had a big box filled with little rocks that you could reach into without looking and keep the one you got. I got a hunk of microcline. Mine's actually a light cream color, though they had some on displat that was actually kinda cyan. Thought that was neat.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 09:00:51 pm »

At least Microcline is a color unlike boring ol' Alunite, always messing up my obsidian dinning areas.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 12:22:12 am »

Talc. Talc can burn in magma. I refuse to embark on dolomite layers anymore, because all it has is fucking talc everywhere.
Not if you're using Molten Rocks it doesn't.
[MELTING_POINT:12700]
Orthoclase is 12250, if you're interested. Microcline remains non-magma-safe.

Molten Rocks, man. It's the mod that makes clusters valuable again.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 01:37:26 am »

Know what we need damned more of?
KIMBERLITE
The dark blue rock that makes my dwarven heart leap for joy...
Olivine is slowly becoming my most hated rock as i keep finding large clusters of them...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 02:13:05 am »

One of the better things about orthoclase is it's (at least partially) magma-proof. At least for 5 minutes or so, after that I just gave up and reverted to a previous save. MELTING_POINT:12250 So it'll give you some time to find more suitable materials.

As another suggestion for cluster shape; they could be modeled after the caves that appear on the walls of caverns, which seems fairly random.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 02:27:59 am »

I recall that way back in my first ever fort, the first mineral I struck was microcline. I had no idea what it was but the excited announcement the game generated suggested to me that it was something precious or useful. So I carefully set up a stone stockpile to extract and store it away from my masony workshop, so that it wouldn't get wasted on doors and such before I'd figured out what its true value might be.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 02:49:00 am »

I recall that way back in my first ever fort, the first mineral I struck was microcline. I had no idea what it was but the excited announcement the game generated suggested to me that it was something precious or useful. So I carefully set up a stone stockpile to extract and store it away from my masony workshop, so that it wouldn't get wasted on doors and such before I'd figured out what its true value might be.
which is actually negative.. from the time wasted hauling it all...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4