Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Microline *shudder*  (Read 9084 times)

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Microline *shudder*
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:20:26 pm »

Apparently my forge was unknowingly place in a microline cluster. The horror! Now my forge is totally fabulous:P
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
Re: Microline *shudder*
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:23:38 pm »

I loathe Microline... Its just... soo... Annoying!

And its everywhere i typically choose a site. Right in the middle of my planned multi-zlvl Cathedral to Armok. Ever so slightly poking into the center of my noble quarters/tombs/water fun park...

I hates it... Hatesessses itss sooooo much, gollum...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:40 pm »

You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline! You've struck Microcline!
 >:(
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:41:21 pm »

I've had a few forts, but my current one is the first like Horseplank said. I feel as if I've done a rite of passage.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »

All that's left is for someone to go Legendary Sadist and mod microline to be pink.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 03:03:03 pm »

heh in my last fortress we used microcline with our catapults, that way mircocline strikes you!
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:07:59 pm »

Was the fort called 'Soviet Russia'?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

cjet79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »

I have stopped trying to fight it. Instead I now seek it out in my fortresses. Then I dig out all around the microline formation. Then I dig out and smoothe the walls of my new living quarters.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 03:39:13 pm »

I've never found this mythical "Microline", myself.  Sounds fascinating, but the way you see people talk about it, you'd think it was insanely common.

Now Microcline, on the other hand, just gets annoying after the first few run-ins.  Orthoclase, too.  I have no idea why feldspars are so common in Dwarf Fortress soil, but there you have it.
Sanity is for the weak.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:48:43 pm »

These stones aren't too uncommon in real life, though they're usually not as bad for the eyes...
Anyway, I don't find it that annoying. Well, the "You struck ...!" announcements are pretty bad, but I actually like using colorful stones for above ground constructions. Make the invaders go blind when they first see the great outer microcline wall from a few miles away (lucky them, nobody ever reached the orthoclase inner wall ;) )
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 03:53:38 pm »

Felsite was here, Microcline is gaudy and ridiculous.

Seriously, I loves me some Felsite.  I use it as much as I can if it's available.
Shoes...

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 04:10:43 pm »

I'm considering changing the color of Microcline to green or teal. That light blue is so... euch.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 05:00:20 pm »

I just removed Orthoclase and Microcline from the raw files, along with a few other annoying stones. I still like green stone though so I kept that. And Alunite.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 05:10:18 pm »

Talc. Talc can burn in magma. I refuse to embark on dolomite layers anymore, because all it has is fucking talc everywhere.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 05:33:10 pm »

Just mod the color. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4