Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Microline *shudder*  (Read 9077 times)

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microline *shudder*
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 03:19:58 am »

Know what we need damned more of?
KIMBERLITE
The dark blue rock that makes my dwarven heart leap for joy...
Olivine is slowly becoming my most hated rock as i keep finding large clusters of them...
Olivine actually melts at 13,168 Urists when modded to be like the real stone. Magma is 12,000 Urists.
Think about it.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 03:24:45 am »

I recall that way back in my first ever fort, the first mineral I struck was microcline. I had no idea what it was but the excited announcement the game generated suggested to me that it was something precious or useful. So I carefully set up a stone stockpile to extract and store it away from my masony workshop, so that it wouldn't get wasted on doors and such before I'd figured out what its true value might be.
which is actually negative.. from the time wasted hauling it all...
I beg to differ sir; its value is decidedly non-zero, on the grounds that a) some dwarves like it, meaning they will appreciate microcline furniture more than most, b) it is a pretty blue, useful for color coding levers and aesthetic purposes, and c) if nothing else, it's a bulk stone, suitable for applications where value is not a concern. I am fond of microcline, significantly more so  than alunite or mica, which have no particular merit and disturb my game just as much, which is half the reason I use reveal on all my maps.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 04:03:44 am »

I remember back in one of my first forts where I began tiling all my floors with microcline, to keep the furniture builders from getting their hands on it. Microcline floors I could handle, but microcline furniture; no.

Of course, that meant I began to look for microcline, since I hadn't found enough to finish tiling the floor in my grand hall.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 04:25:26 am »

I recall that way back in my first ever fort, the first mineral I struck was microcline. I had no idea what it was but the excited announcement the game generated suggested to me that it was something precious or useful. So I carefully set up a stone stockpile to extract and store it away from my masony workshop, so that it wouldn't get wasted on doors and such before I'd figured out what its true value might be.
which is actually negative.. from the time wasted hauling it all...
I beg to differ sir; its value is decidedly non-zero, on the grounds that a) some dwarves like it, meaning they will appreciate microcline furniture more than most, b) it is a pretty blue, useful for color coding levers and aesthetic purposes, and c) if nothing else, it's a bulk stone, suitable for applications where value is not a concern. I am fond of microcline, significantly more so  than alunite or mica, which have no particular merit and disturb my game just as much, which is half the reason I use reveal on all my maps.

You sir, are horrible.
You let the dwarves who actually LIKE the cursed eye gouging stone LIVE? and NOT throw them in magma? I am appauled!
The only use its good for is for warning seiges from attacking! and those foolish enough to still come and attack despite the large cyan sign that almost glows like a modern day neon sign due to its horrendous colour, will automatically gouge their eyes out at even 20 miles distance away!
Why do you think the miners shout, which many mistake for exitement, which in reality is terror gripping them as they try to run as fast away from the most horrible stone in existance!
Armok considered jailing the demons of the deep in microcline instead of the stone being used now, but later threw that idea out of the window as it was just TOO CRUEL!
The demons went mad, and THAT is the reason why they attack on being freed, they believe the dwarves have come to trap them in microcline!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:27:28 am by silhouette »
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 04:38:10 am »

My current fortress is to be made entirely of Obsidian, which makes all stones hated.

Even gabbro, which is very tedious to deal with as it is the same colour!

And I actually run into olivine the most. (Other than gabbro)

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 04:58:41 am »

I just modded in porcelain and convert any microcline to it.

That pains me, good sir. Why not mod in plaster, and a reaction to convert alunite into it? That is what alunit was used for, historically.

As for those of you who modify microcline to not be such a garish blue, shame on you. It really is that garish.

Mod amazonite to show in orthoclase and/or microcline, just to be somewhat realistic, and to make it more rewarding.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 08:40:03 am »

Change [COLOR:3:7:1] to [COLOR:5:7:1] in the raws.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 08:46:40 am »

Talc. Talc can burn in magma. I refuse to embark on dolomite layers anymore, because all it has is fucking talc everywhere.
I use talc in my current dolomite megaconstruction, as it's cheap, just about as abundant as dolomite on some levels, not a flux (and thus otherwise useless) and most importantly, the same color as dolomite. :) My lavish meal-exporting whitecastle is nice and consistent.
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 10:23:28 am »

So, I've seen (i.e. "noticed", in amongst the other waffle) a positive, a negative and non-judgemental comment on Olivine.

Normally, I like Olivine, and often try and use it to create particular areas (or, if I'm feeling in the mood, catering for Urist McOlivineLover's little peccadillos) and if I can work entirely within it for a dug-out structure it's fine as well, but for some reason I find intrusions of it into another area far more intrusive (and in a multi-level manner) than any other (non-ore[1]) intrustion...  Perhaps because it's so 'vibrant' compared to most others (though cinnabar and others of that ilk are arguably as vibrant, yet don't elicit the same feelings.

[1] Ores, of course, are likely to be mined out and replaced with constructed walls either immediately, imminently or shortly thereafter.  If only to get the relevent digging and any floor-plan changing over and done with ASAP.  The exception is where I find it more useful to retain as a room-quality modifier or something like a magma-trough retention wall that I can't afford to replace.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 11:23:53 am »

This graphics pack I've been using (It's in the Community mod thread, the one that isn't Dwarfletter(Which looks really nice but has weird dwarf sprites that don't show up well) or Mayday's) changes the color of microcline to this kind of powder-blue/gray.  It actually looks nice, I was surprised.
Shoes...

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »

I actually don't mind microcline.

Only rock I hate is mudstone. Horrible shade of brown...

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 02:15:50 pm »

Microcline is actually my favorite stone. I prefer it over all other stones (except maybe that purple one.) That gorgeous blue is much appreciated in the otherwise grey world of the underground.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 02:43:59 pm »

Pitchblende EVERYTHING! Now i need to go find my face, it fell off again.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 03:51:29 pm »

Why? Surely you have spare ones.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53:15 pm »

Why? Surely you have spare ones.
Especially with all that pitchblende laying around, you could just grow a new one.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4