Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A variety of food oriented things.  (Read 4155 times)

Hexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A variety of food oriented things.
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:51:20 pm »

Things that dwarves should be able to make and/or use -

Pickled vegetables, meats and "Other"

Preserves and jellies

Foul animals and eggs. (Rock chickens and rock chicken coops?)

Salted preserved foodstuffs and salt industry. (Already noticed this mentioned I think) Also, if pumps desalinize, they should periodically drop blocks of salt I should think.

Special food requirements for the sick? Gruel, porridge, oatmeal, that sort of thing. Hell if you throw rock chickens in there, that leaves a lot of room for rock chicken soup, just like maw used to make, which might speed recovery.

Spices and flavorings (Also already been mentioned) - Fire imp meat should be spicy.

Various combinations of these things. A dwarf should be able to settle down with some Spiced Dwarven Rum and some Pickled Eggs after a fine meal of Buffalo Fire Imp Wings and look forward to a lovely morning meal of spiced Cream of Cave Wheat.

*Shrug*

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
Re: A variety of food oriented things.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:13:51 pm »

Nice suggestion! Yumm!
(no complaints or toughts about that suggestion :(  )

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:27:46 pm »

I think that chickens and eggs have already been done by modding. Only, you get eggs by milking the chickens. A bigger menu in the Kitchen and the Butchery WOULD be nice.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:56:55 pm »

Toady is implementing custom reactions for every workshop, so it shouldn't be too hard to mod it into the game in the next version if he hasn't already added something like this.

How about we go one step further and make it so nobles can demand/mandate a feast in their dining room. The minimum requirements will be around 10-ish chairs and tables, and a random selection of food which is influenced by the noble's preferences. If they complain that the food has gone cold or rotten, just microwave it. (Dwarven microwaves involve lots of uncontrolled magma)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »

Salted preserved foodstuffs and salt industry. (Already noticed this mentioned I think) Also, if pumps desalinize, they should periodically drop blocks of salt I should think.

Pumps don't desalinate on purpose. They're a pipe with a corkscrew in them propped up on a block. Building on this accidental mechanic would be kind of silly.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Hexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 03:56:49 pm »

Pumps don't desalinate on purpose. They're a pipe with a corkscrew in them propped up on a block. Building on this accidental mechanic would be kind of silly.

There are a lot of real life ways to get salt out of water. It was an option that already had a mechanic in place.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:19:56 pm »

When I go camping, I can only bring the most basic supplies. So when I'm camping for more than 3 weeks, I can make salt from certain wood chips and a tin can with water.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 04:24:46 pm »

Sea salt makes for a decent good to export once salt water evaporation starts leaving it behind. Mind you, evaporation is too fast right now, it's really a warm climate industry unless fuel is available

Question is, is there any period methods of desalination?

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 04:28:23 pm »

lutefisk... yummy

and rock chickens sound too cute to eat.  :3

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 04:44:15 pm »

Distilling? The water would taste pretty nasty if you did that, but it would work. If they're making rum, they can make clean water.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Hexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »

Question is, is there any period methods of desalination?

There are records of mass producing salt from seawater going back to 2700 B.C.

You could probably fit some dorfs into that time frame. :-P

Percival

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 08:26:55 pm »

I love talking, dealing with and of course eating all types of food, so the idea appeals to me. Enriching the cooking activities in DF using a variety of ingredients, cooking methods and recipes would add a lot of fun.

However, I think the main problem with food right now is that it does little except create wealth, make people happy and provide a few benefits in storing the food. I know that actually sounds pretty cruel: what do I have against making dwarves happy? The problem is that there are already tons and tons of other ways of generating wealth already, the food is way too expensive, and there are also many other ways of making dwarves happy. This means there are few consequences to not bothering about cooking, making the whole endeavor less fun. Cooked food should have a value in itself.

It's more fun if you have to create a variety of different foods because you have different pressures to do so. An earlier post suggested that nobles hold dinner parties requiring certain types of food. I think that's the sort of challenge that would make creating a varied cuisine a much more interesting task than it is now.

Besides complicated desires, another reason why food varies so much is because our bodies need different nutrients. Maybe it would add a nice level of challenge and complexity to have dwarves require different nutrients from different types of food, instead of just booze + any kind of food. Having this need arise in the gameplay would force players to pay more attention to what types of food they stock, and perhaps to come up with creative ways of implementing them. This of course supposes greater control over the kitchen workshop, but I think that's coming in a later version already (for all workshops).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:31:18 pm by Percival »

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 11:52:03 am »

I just think Toady should modify the way meal raws work

[FOOD:BREAD]
[INGREDIENT:FLOUR:ANY:2:NAMED] Named means it says what it's made of. Like this would make Cave Wheat Flour Bread.
[NAME:bread:bread]
[TYPE:EASY]

[FOOD:COLDCUT]
[INGREDIENT:MEAT:EDIBLE:1:NAMED]
[NAME:coldcut:coldcuts]
[TYPE:EASY]

[FOOD:SAMMICH]
[INGREDIENT:COLDCUT:ANY:1:NAMED]
[INGREDIENT:BREAD:ANY:0.2:UNNAMED] (2 slices of a loaf)
{NAME:sandwich:sanwhiches]
[TYPE:SMALL_MEAL]

[FOOD:STEW]
[INGREDIENT:BROTH:ANY:1:UNNAMED]
[INGREDIENT:MEAT:EDIBLE:3:NAMED]
[INGREDIENT:PLANT:STARCH:3:NAMED] (like potatoes, or rice)
[INGREDIENT:PLANT:SPICES:1:UNNAMED]
[TYPE:LARGE_MEAL]

Anyone for Elephant Potato Stew?
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 12:34:59 pm »

When I go camping, I can only bring the most basic supplies. So when I'm camping for more than 3 weeks, I can make salt from certain wood chips and a tin can with water.

You could also burn the wood chips, put the ashes in the tin can, make a tiny hole in the bottom, pass the water through the ashes, skin your cat, render the fat, mix the lye with the tallow, tan the skin and build a soap coffin of the finest craftmanship, studded with cat bone and encircled with bands of cat leather.

On the soap coffin you could engrave in soap the image of a human and a cat, the human is skinning the cat.

Then you could cook the cat's meat.

In MAGMA!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:37:19 pm by Thanshin »

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 06:37:35 pm »

[FOOD:PIZZA]
[NAME:pizza:pizzas]
[INGREDIENT:FLOUR:ANY:4:UNNAMED]
[INGREDIENT:CHEESE:ANY:1:UNNAMED]
[INGREDIENT:PLANT:TOMATO:1:UNNAMED]
[OPTIONAL_INGREDIENT:SAUSAGE:ANY:1:NAMED]
[OPTIONAL_INGREDIENT:FISH:EDIBLE:0.3:NAMED]
[OPTIONAL_INGREDIENT:PLANT:HERB:0.1:NAMED]
[OPTIONAL_INGREDIENT:MEAT:ANY:1:NAMED]
[OPTIONAL_INGREDIENT:PLANT:ANY:1:NAMED]
[OPTIONAL_INGREDIENT:OIL:EDIBLE:0.1:NAMED]
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.
Pages: [1] 2