Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Contest: Big red lever of doom  (Read 23728 times)

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Contest: Big red lever of doom
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2010, 06:42:51 pm »

Scavescaming is allowed but discouraged.

You know, I've been thinking, but even if it was disallowed, how would you ever be able to tell? It's not like DF implants things into the save files when they're moved.  If someone just decided never to mention it, they could get off easily.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

Scavescaming is allowed but discouraged.

You know, I've been thinking, but even if it was disallowed, how would you ever be able to tell? It's not like DF implants things into the save files when they're moved.  If someone just decided never to mention it, they could get off easily.

yeah we know, we are not dumb, but hey we trust each other, you could also easily post some fortress you had already made or you had been making for a month, its not hard to cheat, but we trust you will join for the fun and therefor you will not cheat, its not like you are wining money or anything, its just a contest for fun!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37:23 pm »

I'm not playing, but here's an idea: Have one lever connected to four sets of double doors, which lead to a large lever-filled room. Set them all to be pulled, some on repeat. Maybe have each lever personalized for that special touch. Have everyone idle (have no jobs enabled) with Dwarf Therapist, then have someone pull that first lever. The door opens, 200 dwarves rush to the massive lever-room and start pulling levers at random. This will unleash horrifying ungodly plagues upon the dwarves, flooding random hallways with magma, unleashing floods upon others, collapsing your pit and sending eighty tentacle demons to violate everything, goring other dwarves on spikes, collapsing huge segments of the fortress, etc.
Set the original lever to, along with the doors, start a dwarven computer, which counts down a bit (let's say 5 minutes) until about 70-80% of the fortress population has either been killed by traps or marauding demons, and then collapses the entire fortress, which has the side effect of exposing a giant dwarf statue. Through extensive use of pumps, the statue, when unblocked, spews flaming magma out of its mouth, burning the entire world.
In the end, you have a burnt, barren wasteland with only a huge dwarf statue vomiting magma.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2010, 12:39:25 am »

Need more judges? I certainly won't have time to enter as a contestant, but I'd love to see what people come up with.

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2010, 08:11:35 am »

A challenge like this would be more interesting - and also more 'fair' - if you would provide a starting savegame to work from, either that, or a specific starting rectangle you have to use ona seeded map. Point is, that everybody would have to make use of the same geographic features.

Nonetheless, i had a vision which i will have to make a reality. That vision involved a complex / intricate machinery of doom.

Please clarify the time frame allowed: It is either 7 dwarf years, starting from the year of departure, so the end save will be the spring of the 8th year (say you started in spring 100, then spring 107). Or it is the spring save of the 7th year of your fortress, which in turn is only 6 dwarf years of playtime. (starting in 100, the 7th year is 106)

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2010, 01:08:04 pm »

Just for fun I think it would be great if everyone would list who the expedition leader is, so we can have them pull the lever as the final part of his psychotic plan.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2010, 01:22:26 pm »

I'm switching my position from contestant to judge sadly :(

7 years is just a little too short for me and I can't get something ready in time, no matter how many times I redo it.  So I'm a judge now, if you want me.

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 01:35:15 pm »

Litast Tolisducim (Litast Topwork), leader of 'The Doomed Flag', a proud citizen and well respected expedition leader of the 'Hammers of Disemboweling' was tasked by King Urvad to go and build and outpost in the far mountains of the west.

Although Litast Tolisducim has seemingly accepted the decision, deep in her heart she was convinced that they only gave her the assignment to get rid of her, to remove her from the capital.

On the surface, everything seemed to be alright and the expedition seemed to be off to a good start. Little did they know at that time, that the leader in charge of the expedition is plotting to take revenge for an insult that never happened in a way that will never be forgotten.

Later studies of the DIoP (Dwarven Institute of Psychology) have shown how remarkably misleading her personality was. On the surface, she was a nice and sincere dwarf who was able to cope with stress usually associated with leadership and has also shown great willpower. Deep inside however, that stress slowly built up making her a nervous wreck, who often felt discouraged and was crippled socially by thoughts that everyone is watching and judging her. It is clear today, that she suffered from a severe case of schizophrenia she - sadly - managed to hide up until the very end.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:36:48 pm by csebal »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 07:57:31 pm »

I'm not participating, but as a doomsday device, you could try a meeting hall full of floor grates with zinc mugs underneath, with magma behind a floodgate linked to the red lever. Zinc boils at magma temperature, apprently, so it should 'galvanise' your dwarves. I'm just going to go test it out now, actually.

EDIT: Alas, for all is lost. The binful of zinc mugs I vaporised did not behave the way I had hoped. Whilst the zinc did boil, it didn't boil very far at all, nor did it raise itself the required z-level to scald the recruit I stationed on the grate.

DOUBLE-EDIT: Perhaps the size of the vapour cloud depends on how much the boiling temperature is exceeded by? If so, booze might work better, though I doubt it would have the same destructive effect as a cloud of boiling zinc, as DF vapours never nseem to exceed their boiling temperature, and booze's boiling temperature is much lower than that of zinc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:15:20 pm by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010, 09:34:01 pm »

Started my Doom Fort today. I embarked on sonerhoi's "Dwarf Heaven" map. Building near the bottomless pit. Enjoying the abundant resources and almost complete lack of flying creatures. Finally remembered the red stone for the lever after embarking, pulling my hair out, and restarting twice.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:28 pm »

Will boiling water burn dwarves?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2010, 09:43:39 pm »

THE IRONY

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2010, 09:46:14 pm »

If you mean steam, then not anymore.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2010, 09:50:19 pm »

Shame.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 10:02:00 pm »

Not going to do this, don't have a comp up to the task, or time, but I WILL share my plan that I would do if I would:

Build a castle on a giant ice plain, with a thriving metropolis city in a hollowed out cavern underneath. The lever sits alone on a distant cliff that can only be reached by a narrow bridge from a narrow tower. The dwarf consigned to pull the lever is ejected from the fort, and the entrance forever sealed. He enters the bottom floor of the tower, and exits out the other side to cross the bridge...

You have two options here, to use that dwarf or return with an adventurer.

Either way, it's basically the same: He pulls the lever... and the narrow bridge drops out, dropping in relatively safely to a lower level as the doors to the tower far above seal. This is the entrance to the labrynth, a maze full of various captured beasts and windy tunnels, all of which were released when the lever was pulled. Aside from this, the fort runs along safely. The dwarf tries to navigate the labrynth and return to (/loot) the fort in time.

Just as he breaks through the labrynth, he reaches a small cliff in the metropolis cavern that lets him see what is about to happen, though he's spent an entire season fighting his way through. A stairway leads down to the fortress, though it is long and winding, circling the entire cavern before touching down...

Aboveground, the season changes to spring... and the ice that was holding up the castle thaws. No longer being supported by the stairway that connected it to the metropolis, the fortress of nobility crashes through the ice, through the water, and then through the ceiling of the metropolis. By itself, it kills everyone in the castle and leaves much of the city unharmed... but the hole in the ceiling allows the lake to flood in, flooding the cavern. The dwarf who came via the labrynth turns and flees, accompanied by any dwarves who make it up the long staircase in time, fighting his way BACK through the labrynth to escape the flood - but the labrynth has changed! Paths have opened and closed as the floodwater triggers several pressure plates, and now he is running out of time. Reaching his starting point (if he's lucky), he finds a stairway has been opened up that allows him to the first floor of the tower - but the door was sealed when the lever first pulled, and there is nowhere to go but up. At the top is another lever, this one blue. Pulling it opens a separate, secret door on the bottom floor, but releases the captured megabeast that was stored halfway up the tower. The hallways are narrow enough the dwarf must fight past it to escape.

Assuming he does all this successfully, just outside of the door is a pressure plate that drops an a 5x5x5 block of stone on him the moment it is stepped on.

The end!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9