Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Contest: Big red lever of doom  (Read 23736 times)

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
Re: Contest: Big red lever of doom
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 03:53:01 pm »

Hmmm, shouldn't we start the contest when the new version is released? Because I would definitely stop working on this if I had to use the old version while the new one was out.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 03:54:06 pm »

I was thinking more on the lines of "let this version go out with a bang"
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 05:40:42 pm »

I know it's the 24th, but can I sign up anyways?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:01 pm »

I know it's the 24th, but can I sign up anyways?

Yes you can.  The contest starts today, and ends in 3 weeks on the 14th, new contestants can join in anytime before the 14th,  but will be expected to meet the same deadline and be judged by the same standards as those who start on time. We'll stop taking entries at midnight pacific time. Since There was no consensus from the judges  the contest will use the rules and scoring from the inital post. If a contestant finishes their 7 dwarf years before the 3 weeks are up they may choose to submit their entries early. 

I'm going to reread through the thread and create a list of contestants and judges and edit this post once its finished

Judges:
Father Alexander
Draco18s
Vturtle
Sirpenguin

Contestants:
Solar Shado
Lord Inquisitor
Shaostoul
Stealth Archer
Blue Trust
Chicken Launcher
RAM
Japa
Captain Alchatron
Grek
The DJ17
Lord Dakoth

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:01:22 pm by malroth »
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 03:05:58 am »

Spoiler: worldgen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately I think it is a brook, brooks are no fun...

And to my eternal shame...
Spoiler: embark profile (click to show/hide)
I know its horrible, but I am just in a lazy mood...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 06:01:50 am »

Progress update:
Currently Mid-Winter. One of the original seven was killed by a kobold :(
Current population is 31. Over 600 drinks, 300+ plump helmets, 250ish assorted meats, fish and meals. 45K+ created wealth. Magma has been secured and the [REDACTED] industry has been established. Currently fiddling with the layout of the first tower.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2010, 06:10:58 am »

I reccomend someone arrange to have all masterpieces, artifacts, and engravings destroyed. Also, the nobles. Also, the booze.

The resulting tantrum spiral should be considered fortress destruction, right? And the best part? No one would be able to tell what happened, since it's an "engravings or it didn't happen" world.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2010, 06:42:13 am »

Is it possible to pit peoples pets? Because it occured to me that you could spend 7 years getting as many pets for the dwarves as possible then pitting them in a spike pit which is attached to the lever -would greatly speed along the tantrum spirals.
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 06:43:59 am »

I dont think so. but spiking reg'lar pets and arranging for miasma clouds might help the same cause.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 11:03:01 am »

Hey would it be possible for me to join this?

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2010, 11:24:12 am »

i think the rules say that you cant, im not sure about wen midnight in pacific time, but what the hell, give it a try after all, you should be doing this for science and glory, the contest is simply to ask more people to do it at the same time :3

also i think i can make some medals or prizes would you people like that?

anyway, good luck everyone!

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 12:52:24 pm »

I'm considering the contestants list just to be the list that I'll try to double check and watch for in the thread.  If you post in the thread with a "Here's my submission" I'll be happy to judge it even if it's your first ever post in the forums.

It's not like we usually follow mandates around here anyway.  :)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2010, 01:05:26 pm »

I would like to participate as a contestant. Sorry for being so late but I had no internet access during last 2 days.

My plan is:
3x3 area with sand, magma pipe and small part of a river,
LOTS of green glass, everything made from it, 
magma above, magma below, caveins, total destruction.

I have embarked already, but one of the cats went to close to a fire imp ...... oh no fireball, grass fire, dwarves not caring about the fire, you know what happened...

Regenned the world, embarked again, this time with a good crossbowdwarf, will see what I can do. ;)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Brown Moses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 01:12:28 pm »

I've done this in the past, here's a couple of fortresses and their destruction by lever for your inspiration:

Routpainted
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2453-routpainted
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-492-thedestructionofroutpainted

Claspedrhyme
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-501-claspedrhymecollapse
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2498-claspedrhyme

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 02:20:31 pm »

Is it too late for me to sign up?  I plan on having a lever that releases some... things... but you totally won't see the end coming.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9